Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Prep'd turbo install problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Prep'd turbo install problem

Hey guys. So I recently bought a use Ptuning turbo kit for a great price. Whole kit and all with a 3 inch exhaust system. I have had the kit for some time now and haven't put it on since the weather hasn't been the greatest. Well now since the weather is warming up and car show season is right around the corner, I wanted to get the kit on my daily driver. So far I have installed the intercooler and some of the piping along with the radiator and condenser fans. Stuff that will still allow me to use my car as a daily driver. I'm just trying to do as much prep work as possible so that the install will go as smooth as possible. Kind of hard to say it will go smoothly when going turbo lol. Anyways, I was testing to see if my AEM FIC and harness was able to be plugged in and working on a stock configuration and here is the problem I am having. I've unplugged the battery and let it sit for about 5 minutes for the stock ecu to reset before plugging in the AEM FIC. Once I plug it in and try turning the car over it won't start. I also tried having the battery hooked up and plugging in the FIC and Harness and also started it. The car started but 5-10 seconds into idle it threw a code of P0340. I did some research and talked to many people including Dezod and they said that I need to do the resistor mod with the AEM FIC. Well I did the resistor mod and same code was thrown when I started the car. I'm not sure if it is the harness or a tune needed but I'm kinda stuck right now as far as the install goes. I am asking for some help on what it could possibly be. If I am installing the FIC wrong or am running the wrong map to just get it to turn over or what. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is a 2009 tc trying to install a ptuning turbo kit with AEM FIC w/ pnp harness. I tried loading a dezod base map from their tech notes for the map (this might be my problem) to get the car to turn over. (started when battery wasn't disconnected on install) Please help! I would like stiff arm buying another harness but if it is needed then so be it. Thanks guys.

Also, Am I able to run on the stock ECU and just turn the boost way down till I get a good piggyback system that works? Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No idea what's wrong bud. I've disconnected my battery multiple times and never had any problems. If it ran before, something else must have changed. Going turbo is like being Santa on crack, make a list and check it a million times lol. Good luck. Post up some pics.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A word a caution, if you do use your stock ECU, turn boost to lowest possible setting and DO NOT drive it hard. You will be running lean, and LEAN IS MEAN!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The code is only for the cam sensor position...do you know if it will affect the tune significantly? Like I said it runs when I do not disconnect the battery and plug in the FIC. It doesnt run when I disconnect the battery and then plug in the FIC. Maybe it runs because its using stock fuel trims? I just need it to run when I install everything lol so I can drive it slowly to the tuner.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here a video. Im about to order a new one because its soo frustrating. That cash could have gone to a tune. Please help someone. Can I run boosted with that CEL code???

Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let the ecu reset for at least 15 mins see what happens...ive found that 5 mins dont do anything...yea i think its the base tune you have..need a better one for stock injectors even though i think dezod one from there site is for 330 cc
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What size injectors do you have? 550cc? Check the maps in the FIC software. Could be an issue with the ignition map. It should be all zeroed in the idle range. Does it start with the FIC unplugged? Does the code come up?

Also make sure you have no boost leaks/vac leaks. I recently had a similar problem where the car would not start. Haven't found a solid conclusion yet, but so far found that my pcv hose was loose and also took the car key off my chain so there's not a lot of weight bearing down on it while in the ignition. Heard somewhere that this can mess your ignition switch up. So far since doing that, haven't had a problem starting (no P0340 code though).
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now im running stock injectors to make sure the used aem fic and harness I got is good. Turbo isnt installed yet. And this is the problem im running into. Now....if it doesnt go away, can I still run with boost?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the tune is meant for an injector that you are not running, thats what I would put my money on. My 550s arent fully dialed in on startup and takes forever to start but starts every time. Thats what I am guessing the problem you are having is. The injectors that are installed are receiving a signal that is meant for a different size injector. But it is what it is, just a guess.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

That F/IC as mentioned, is tuned for non-stock injectors and you are on Stock injectors. Going to run into starting issues doing that. You You made no mention of contacting Ptuning. Did you not contact them?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did and they did not get back to me with an answer. I can try again today. But the cam sensor code shouldnt be an issue. I can see a fuel code or something. Ill give ptuning a call and let you guys know.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just talked to Ptuning, they think its a potential harness problem (which it could very well be, this thing isnt the best condition) or it may be the FIC itself. Only way to test the issue is to obviously buy a new harness, if problem persists, buy a new FIC. The cam sensor isnt bad because its fully functional while stock. Now, if this is the only problem I am having, the question is, can i still run the car boosted with code P0340? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could see the harness giving you problems but if there are no frayed wires or damaged connectors, I couldn't imagine why it would be bad. It seems as though you need the FIC tuned to work properly with the injectors you intend to use. Do you have the injectors you plan to use? Is the FIC software up to date? Even if you had a brand new FIC and harness, you will continue to have start up issues if the injectors are not matched to the application that the FIC is trying to command. Are you doing the install then the shop is going to tune it? If you can get the thing started, the shop isnt too far, and you dont hit boost, you should be fine to limp to the tuner.

On a side note, if this is your first boosted car, get used to the CEL being on lol.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I talked to Paul at dezod and he said insert the bypass wire while the harness is plugged and that should tell if there is something wrong with the harness. Well I plugged in the small bypass wire to see if I would get a CEL and I didnt. That tells me that the harness is fine. I really doubt the FIC is bad. I think im going to install everything then see what happens. Probably wont get a good tune with that code tho.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jonny5ive
I talked to Paul at dezod and he said insert the bypass wire while the harness is plugged and that should tell if there is something wrong with the harness. Well I plugged in the small bypass wire to see if I would get a CEL and I didnt. That tells me that the harness is fine. I really doubt the FIC is bad. I think im going to install everything then see what happens. Probably wont get a good tune with that code tho.
Did you mention anything about the injectors? You still have not mentioned anything about your injectors on here is why I ask. What size injectors do you have to replace the stock ones? You should start up a build thread so we can see all of your goodies I bet if you stick the bigger injectors then try to start the car, it will start better, but might have some issues with a turbo tune on an NA car. Im sure if you spoke with Paul you will find the problem but my money is still on the injector issue you are having.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry burgundy. Yes I did mention my injectors to Paul. I will be installing 550cc injectors. Paul said that its possible its the fic if it isnt the harness and a small chance that its the tune causing the code but we wont know for sure till I have it all installed. So heres my plan. Install the kit see what we get and then tune it. Hopefully I can start it but if not I get a free tow from my insurance company. Just hope the place can tune it with the issue its having. I value your inputs and advice. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you still have the stock injectors in, try going into the FIC software and setting all maps to percentage mode, then filling in 0 in every cell. That basically tells the FIC not to change inputs from the ecu. If the car still doesn't start and you still get the code, then it may be an FIC issue. If you have trouble with resetting the maps in the FIC software, let me know and I can send you a blank.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jonny5ive
Sorry burgundy. Yes I did mention my injectors to Paul. I will be installing 550cc injectors. Paul said that its possible its the fic if it isnt the harness and a small chance that its the tune causing the code but we wont know for sure till I have it all installed. So heres my plan. Install the kit see what we get and then tune it. Hopefully I can start it but if not I get a free tow from my insurance company. Just hope the place can tune it with the issue its having. I value your inputs and advice. Thank you.
Im sure youll be fine bud. Its kind of hard to diagnose a problem when, technically, you arent having a problem with the boosted setup... yet. Your car can keep itself idling better than mine did stock.

I feel like you are chasing down a problem that doesn't really exist... yet. Get the kit on, get the car to the tuner in some fashion, and you'll be gravy dude. You gotta relax when building a car. Only get worried if a professional looks at it and says "WHAT THE FUUU?!" lol. Then you can ask Paul

What boost pressure are you running? What clutch do you have? Do you have a link to a build thread somewhere? lol. I want to see what kind of curve you put up. I have an almost identical setup and would like to see what each of our tuners make of it. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JonnyBravo, I didn't bother reading any responses, but you're using someone elses problem. 10/10 people have a sh.t set up when they sell it, and their tune is absolute garbage, and they might not even know it. Now you're trying to use their FIC from their set up on your stock as fawk set up. Not going to work. Get that manifold on, and get bigger injectors (I'm sure the last guy had bigger injectors) and it should run a bit better. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
JonnyBravo, I didn't bother reading any responses, but you're using someone elses problem. 10/10 people have a sh.t set up when they sell it, and their tune is absolute garbage, and they might not even know it. Now you're trying to use their FIC from their set up on your stock as fawk set up. Not going to work. Get that manifold on, and get bigger injectors (I'm sure the last guy had bigger injectors) and it should run a bit better. Let us know how it goes.
Criminal, you are absolutely right. I probably have gained someone else problem but I'm not using their setup on my stock setup. I have reflashed and reloaded different maps onto the FIC to get a "more" stock setup. I will be getting the manifold, turbo, injectors in hopefully this weekend along with the exhaust. I may have inherited someone else problem but I did it for 2000$ cheaper than buying a new ptuning SS kit so in a sense I'm still underbudget. I got the kit with the 3 inch exhaust for $2800. It included a tapped oil pan, everything listed in Ptunings kit, as well as 2 aem digital gauges (tru boost and AFR). Not a bad deal if you ask me. I will be running 550cc deatschwerks injectors with an AEM FIC (that is currently giving me a headache) If i have a problem with the injectors I'll just go to the company since they are in Oklahoma City and thats where I live so thats an awesome option for me. Gonna play with it more tonight to make sure the FIC and harness are fully functional before I get everything on. As long as it starts with the bypass harness stock, I should be good. If not, well Dezod EMS standalone here I come. Again guys, thank you for your continued advice. I will let you all know what happens as I go. And I'm going to get a build thread going in the near future. I havent really shared anything I've done to my car at all on scionlife.

Quick Reply: Prep'd turbo install problem