Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   PTUNING: Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec A) (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/ptuning-competition-2az-fe-short-block-spec-150323/)

11-06-2008 11:09 PM

PTUNING: Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec A)

PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec A): $4119.95

http://www.ptuning.com/graphics/ptun...lock_specA.jpg

Our PTUNING competition short block is the ultimate setup for time attack and road racing. This is the same short block used in our 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship-winning turbocharged Scion tC. This premium competition engine package includes all the high-end competition engine components available for the 2AZ-FE motor.

The block is blue-printed and sleeved using our custom-designed nodular (ductile) iron semi-wet T-flanged sleeves. Our sleeves are made of the same material used on 8000hp top-fuel dragsters. We purposedly designed our sleeves to maintain an open-deck for road racing applications where sustained WOT use can generate a significant amount of heat. The open-deck design offers some benefits. First, since the aluminum block expands at a different rate than the nodular iron sleeves when heated up, having an open-deck allows the sleeves to expand without distorting out-of-round at operating temperature, which can hurt ring seal. Another benefit of keeping the deck open is the extra cooling provided to the head gasket and cylinder head, thus reducing the chances of gasket failure due to cylinder head warpage. The block is machined on an RMC 4-axis CNC maching center to provide a precision interference fit for the sleeves, to prevent movement or leaks.

To allow for a more reliable higher revving engine, we lighten the crank (optional) and fully balance the entire rotating assembly. This allows us to run the motor at 7800 rpm or higher redline on our time attack tc reliably (the factory redline is 6250 rpm). To help free up horsepower and increase oiling to the bottom-end and cylinder head, we eliminated the factory balancer-shaft assembly. All clearances and tolerances are blue-printed to our spec.

A lot of extra steps and extra attention to detail is put into every short block we build. We don't want to just sell you a short block with a simple description "built motor" and price tag next to it. We believe our customers should know exactly what they're buying. We not only machine and build the motors, but we've also dyno-tested and race-tested the motors ourselves.

Steps we take to build your block:

Cleaning:
- Inpect the block for cracks and other damages to ensure that we're starting with a sound core.
- Prep the block for baking to stress relieve the block and remove all traces of oil and coolant build-up.
- Bead blast the block and lower block half to remove any loose material and give the block a clean, new finish.
- Hot tank the block and lower block half to thoroughly clean the block of any loose material.

Sleeving/Machining:
- Blue-printed machine work is performed on a precison RMC 4-axis CNC engine machining center.
- Machine the block for installation of sleeves.
- Install and seal sleeves.
- Bore cylinder sleeves to spec for CP pistons.
- Chamfer top cylinder bore edge to ease piston ring installation.
- Square deck the block to a mirror RA finish necessary for proper MLS gasket sealing.

Honing:
- Install 2az-fe-specific billet honing torque plate. Plate is torque using the same PTUNING competition head studs that will be installed on the motor to mimick the cylinder head torqued onto the block. This allows the honing machine to create a perfect cylindrical bore without taper or distortion when the head is bolted to the block.
- Diamond-hone the block on a precision Sunnen diamond-honing machine.
- Final plateau-hone the block to an RA finish in the mid teens. This is an extra step that we perform to create an ideal cylinder surface finish as specified by the piston ring manufacturers. This procedure significantly reduces the break-in period required to properly seat the rings. This is critical procedure, especially for a race engine where you don't have the option of driving the car for 500-1000miles to seat the rings.

Align Bore:
- Install main caps and torque to spec using PTUNING competition main studs.
- Align bore the main journal to spec for ACL Race Series bearing.

Balance Rotating Assembly:
- Clean and Inspect factory forged crank.
- Remove counter-balance drive gear.
- Tap & plug oil feed to balancer-shaft and eliminate balancer-shaft assembly.
- Micro-polish crank journal.
- Precision balance crank. FYI, balacing within 1-2 grams is considered race worthy. We go to the extra effort of balancing the crank down to a tenth of a gram from end to end.
- Balance connecting rod set to within half a gram.
- Balance piston set to within half a gram.

Short Block Assembly:
- All components of the short block are given a final cleaning prior to assembly
- Mic and set clearances on connecting rod journal bearings to spec--using precision mic and bore gauge.
- Mic and set clearances on main journal bearings to spec--using precision mic and bore gauge.
- Check thrust bearing/crank end-play.
- Gap piston rings to spec.
- Install piston and rods and torque rod bolts to spec using stretch gauge.
- Install new factory main seals.
- Install and seal new front and rear oil galley frost plugs.

Engine Components Included:
- CP Pistons (88.5mm Bore (STD), 9.0:1 C/R)
- Manley Performance Pro Series Turbo Tuff LightWeight I-Beam Connecting Rods. We worked with Manley to design a lighter rod that does not require lower block notching.
- ACL Race Series Main Bearings.
- ACL Race Series Rod Bearings.
- ACL Thrust Bearings.
- Ptuning Competition ARP2000 Head Studs.
- Ptuning Competition ARP2000 Main Studs.
- Cometic MLS Head Gasket.
- Factory OEM Main Seal.

Options:
- Lighten crankshaft counter-weight to reduce rotating mass while allowing for a free revving, higher rpm engine with reduced oil windage. (Add $250.00)
- PTUNING/CP Pistons Custom Bore and/or Compression (Add $75) (Check with us on additional lead time)
- Additional piston options available: 9310 pins, lateral gas ports, skirt coating, DLC pin coating, etc.

Notes:
- Price is based on customer providing disassembled short block with only bare block, crank, main caps, main bolts.
- Price does not include core charge. Core charge for block is $1000, refunded upon receipt of rebuildable core.
- Price does not include shipping. Parts will be ship via FedEX or Freight, depending on weight.
- Average three week turnaround time, from the time we receive the block to the time we ship it back to the customer.

Disclaimer:
All products sold by Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. are sold for off-road use only. Any other use or application is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or end-user. Modifications and installation of certain aftermarket parts may under certain circumstances void your original factory warranty. Modification of your vehicle may create dangerous conditions which could cause serious bodily injury or death. Buyers and users of these products hereby expressly assume all risks associated with any such modifications and use.

No Warranty Statement:
The purchaser understands and recognize that racing parts and services sold by Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. are exposed to many and varied conditions due to the manner in which they are installed and used. Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. makes no warranties either expressed or implied including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There is no warranty expressed or implied as to whether the goods sold hereby will protect purchaser or ultimate use of such good from injury or death.

No salesman, officer, agent or representative of Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. is authorized to waive or modify this warranty disclaimer and limitation of damages. Further, no representation, promise, description of goods, or affirmation of fact made by any salesman, officer, agent or representative of Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. shall be effective to any extent whatsoever to waive or modify this warranty disclaimer and limitation of damages.

----------------------

We will be releasing our competition cylinder head and camshaft package shortly. Stay posted.

MrC

Scott8 11-06-2008 11:18 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!

purplenitroustc 11-06-2008 11:26 PM

nice

davedavetC 11-06-2008 11:27 PM

:eyes:

wow

dave2610 11-06-2008 11:30 PM

holy crap

java09 11-06-2008 11:31 PM

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

java09 11-06-2008 11:36 PM

question, so with this motor build i could get to 450-500 whp? GT3071R Turbine used.

SoFloTC 11-06-2008 11:47 PM

so angry i didnt no about this earlier.

Higgy 11-07-2008 12:02 AM

Watching.

rhythmnsmoke 11-07-2008 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by java09
question, so with this motor build i could get to 450-500 whp? GT3071R Turbine used.

Can you? Bro, this will take you past any point you want to go, and most importantly....FAST!

These specs are... :bow:

java09 11-07-2008 12:13 AM

^^theres my answer then! too bad shipping will rape me.

11-07-2008 12:22 AM

500whp with this block is not a problem. It's the tune, turbo setup, boost level that will need to be addressed to get the GT3071R turbo to get to 500whp. Plus, let's not forget about the clutch, lsd, fueling, etc., etc. and good tires to get the power to the ground. You'll probably need to run at least 25psi with the gt3071r to make that kind of power. A GT3076R is more suited for that power level with the 2.4L. The GT3071R turbo is more efficient around 400whp. The gt3071R offers a quicker spoolup, but with 96mm of stroke, there's plenty of low end torque already.

MrC

rhythmnsmoke 11-07-2008 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom

500whp with this block is not a problem. It's the tune, turbo setup, boost level that will need to be addressed to get the GT3071R turbo to get to 500whp. Plus, let's not forget about the clutch, lsd, fueling, etc., etc. and good tires to get the power to the ground. You'll probably need to run at least 25psi with the gt3071r to make that kind of power. A GT3076R is more suited for that power level with the 2.4L. The GT3071R turbo is more efficient around 400whp. The gt3071R offers a quicker spoolup, but with 96mm of stroke, there's plenty of low end torque already.

MrC

I was going to say just that. Get a 3076R, but I didn't want to go off topic. But yeah Java, you don't want a 3071, you want a 76R. After riding in the PTuning Time Attack tC, it spools really good. REALLY good. So, I can only imagine how it spools when you have a built motor with lighter faster moving internals.

java09 11-07-2008 12:27 AM

maybe my goal should be 450 then.. 500 is jsut ballpark anyway.

i will have a stage 4 comp clutch, lsd and DD toto T1Rs.

i would also get a custom fuel return set up locally!

SoFloTC 11-07-2008 12:30 AM

stop bragging u pos.

java09 11-07-2008 12:34 AM

im not im seriously considering this build.

mospeedtc 11-07-2008 12:36 AM

PTUNING youve done it again!!!! Awesome!!!

yeldak 11-07-2008 01:34 AM

looks like I may be volunteering to go to Iraq again....

Dang you Ptuning!

KrazyAznScion 11-07-2008 01:35 AM

i think i shat myself silly... O_o

toyota_scion_tc 11-07-2008 08:40 AM

Sweet! I have contacted you, intrested in starting my project in Jan while I am home.