Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: turbo you would choose
ptuning
66.06%
dezod
20.18%
descendant
16.51%
greddy
7.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

ptuning....turbo kit, etc.... DYNO SHEET pg.39

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
I really want to see one in person because they look pretty nice. Just for bling factor, I don't like the OEM airbox but functionally it is sound and a good idea. The BPV vs the BOV is another thing but that can be changed if desired. The kit looks like it would be a great bolt and go kit to replace the turbonetics kit since they dont make it anymore. There are so many options for good turbo kits now for the TC

I wish Descendant was one of your top 2 choices. I'm not sure how far Melbourne is from Sarasota or if you were at the show but I have the Descendant kit on my car & by a LANDSLIDE it makes a world of a difference. They've done a LOT of work on the kit to make it user friends & it seriously comes partially assembled. I don't know how I lived without a boost for so long (my s/c is NOTHING compared to the Descendant kit). & honestly, a HUGE perk to the kit is the F/IC, I drove my car around without a fine tune with 0 problems at all so that in itself could save you a few hundred dollars if the price is what's scaring you away. As for the factory airbox, its really easy to just get pipes fabricated. Heck, I had a cut Injen intake with my turbo set up but just opted to put the stock airbox back in to get the chrome out of my engine bay. World-Racing/Descendant recommend the airbox but it's an easy fix & should DEFINITELY not be something to deter you from buying the kit. Same goes for the BOV, as long as you do fine tuning with the above mentioned you'd be golden. Plus, they just did a mega price drop on the kit. However, the BIGGEST perk to the kit is the lifetime warranty. It's seriously a huge deal. You won't be disappointed. I promise this. Their test car made roughly ~290 hp I believe, so imagine with full exhaust, fine tune, etc...you can EASILY make over 300 hp, probably ~350ish if you get the intake manifold with it. I'm making ~250hp on 5lbs, plus, I'm an automatic, haha.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For all you people that voted for Ptuning but know absolutely nothing about other kits..you guys are dumb for jumping on the ban wagon. Im not saying the Ptuning kit is bad..in fact there kit is super clean and produces power however you should pay respect to Dezod who has been around since the beginning of tCs. Dezod is currently developing the Alpha kit which will be pretty sick. I voted for Dezod but Ptuning would definitely get my second vote. HAHA I have no idea why Greddy is on the poll.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
For all you people that voted for Ptuning but know absolutely nothing about other kits..you guys are dumb for jumping on the ban wagon. Im not saying the Ptuning kit is bad..in fact there kit is super clean and produces power however you should pay respect to Dezod who has been around since the beginning of tCs. Dezod is currently developing the Alpha kit which will be pretty sick. I voted for Dezod but Ptuning would definitely get my second vote. HAHA I have no idea why Greddy is on the poll.
im not going to comment on it..

jumping on bandwagon huh?

orrr its the fact people respect a kit that was designed on the race track and brought to us!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
These poll results are awesome, but the person who voted for the Descendant kit needs to DIAF.
Really...why is that? Are you jealous?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

zz

Last edited by game-over; 09-17-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

P-Tuning just keeps looking better and better to me. I'm die hard devoted to Dezod however. My loyalty to dezod goes YEARS back to when they first came out with a kit for the d17 civics (remember the 7thgencivic.com days paul!? haha). I don't think there really is a question of "which kit is better" because I promise whichever kit you buy, you'll be >100% satisfied.

*EDIT* That is unless you buy a greddy kit. Greddy's just not up to pare with these guys.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, yes I do work at P tuning. But I do see different tC turbo kits on a daily basis and work on them 1st hand. tC's go through our shop often and that is a good thing because we learned from all the turbo kits that have previously been on the market and what is on the market today.

There are turbo kits out there that are in my opinion no more than a way to get a turbo on a tC. Fittment issues are apparent even when installed correctly, along with melted fan shrouds and burnt hood liners. Also cutting of the front bumper to get the charge pipes to clear. Pipes rub together and eventually you have a boost leak.

My saying is, a turbo kit should be designed to fit the car... you shouldnt have to change your car to fit a turbo kit.

A turbo kit costs a lot of money, time should be put into the developement of the kit and tested under the most grueling conditions such as a racetrack. Car manufactures work with race teams on the development of new parts and technology which is seen on cars you buy right from the showroom.

A turbo kit should fit like factory, run like factory, and present no issues.
The best FITTING kits out there are the Greddy, and from what I have seen of the Decedent kit that looks quality as well, and of course the P tuning kit. All other kits I have seen dont seem to stack up in that department.

If you were to put several stock tC's with new installed turbo kits from each manufacturer next to each other.... and have a judge who is unbiased rate the quality of product (as far as fittment and engineering) im 100% postive the Ptuning kit would come on top, and the Decedent kit coming in up there as well.

As far as power potential, well from what we have seen from the many many tC's that have come across our dyno... Ptuning kit has come out on top, and believe it or not the Greddy kit is in second ( yes that's right!) and then dezod
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The p-tuning and descendant kits look awesome. The dezod kit is simple looking but effective. They are all great kits. But my vote would have to go to greddy. I have only seen the greddy kit in person but on 2 different tC's. The fitment is awesome on them both and they make great power. Yea so the turbo has an internal wastegate. It works dont it? Yes! Plus I have not heard of any problems with this kit. Not that there have been really much if any with some of the other kits.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

zz

Last edited by game-over; 09-17-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
what dont u like about ur dezod kit
Its not that I don't like my Dezod kit.

I love my kit.

However, the PTUNING kit has the ability to go that extra step further without having to do a lot of upgrades like the Dezod kit. Not to mention aesthetically the PTUNING setup just whips the Dezod setup.

Dezod's kit is an awesome kit, it is a nice introduction to boost kit however the turbo could be upgraded, it would be nice if it were oil and water cooled and the log manifold has to go.

Customer service at both companies is top notch!

Descendant seems to be the new comer on the block, everyone has to start somewhere and that's no knock on them, it would be nice to see more of their kits out there too.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bobby you forgot both are also lifetime warrantys.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
New manifold is pure sex and can't wait til it comes out. Ptuning seems to be the one stop shop for everything and if they don't offer the a product they design it, like the IM. Customer service is amazing, and have been extremly nice with getting back to both Bobby and I, and answering all questions we have... I do believe in 3-4 months we will both be rocking the Ptuning kits.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

zz

Last edited by game-over; 09-17-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mospeedtc
Why's it look like your turbo is rusted? Is this common with the turbo's?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For me it depends on what the consumer is looking for. If the person wants something simple, just to get them into boost, then the Dezod kit is definitely for them for the price and customer service and from the sounds of it, Descendant is right in that category. If they are looking into the future for more power and are planning to build the motor, then PTuning would have the best option as there wouldn't be many components needed to upgrade once they are ready to go that extra step. The reason I didn't add Descendant or Dezod to that list is because you would have to get a tubular manifold made for dezod's kit (don't have to, but will help when moving on to higher numbers), which would mean most likely new downpipe and intercooler piping fitments. For Descendants, you are limited to running a turbo with an internal wastegate unless you get the manifold modified to fit an external, which again would cost more money. I didn't put Greddy in either group because it doesn't include everything from the get go, which doesn't make it very appealing to the consumer. Plus, when it would be time to upgrade, it has a different style flange instead of the t3 so you are limited to the turbo's that fit on it. Oh, and it would have to be internally gated unless modified to fit otherwise.

This, and for other reasons I could list is why I voted for PTuning. I do love Dezod however for their great customer service and for always being there for us and bringing new parts into the aftermarket for the tC, and I am very interested in their Alpha kit. When they first introduced the kit, it wasn't so easy or affordable to get a 2az built, so the average consumer just wanted a simple, bolt on kit which dezod designed well. Now times have changed, and I believe dezod needs to rise up and offer what the consumers are now wanting, and even needing. That's what it takes to stay alive in this business, to keep up with the times and even being ahead of the game. Ptuning is there, Dezod has some catching up to do. (No offense).

Stephen
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by game-over
so no one gets excited....
correct me if im wrong. the warrenty doesn't cover the turbo or the AEM F/I C
Those are warrantied by the manufacturer, which is 1 year usually for the turbo and I am not sure about the AEM, but probably the same. Dezod and PTuning may hook up or even cover one for their customer if something goes wrong down the road, but I don't have any experience with them doing that. I would say either company would at least help out and do what they can to get you back on the road, that's for sure!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 08_Scion_tC
Why's it look like your turbo is rusted? Is this common with the turbo's?
That's not the turbo.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i voted for ptuning. there kits show there dedication in quality and fitment. there kits look like oem. heres a good example of a kit thats not a scion

Name:  PTuningS2K.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  84.8 KB

amazing how clean!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why is there two bov's on the s2k?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
im not going to comment on it..

jumping on bandwagon huh?

orrr its the fact people respect a kit that was designed on the race track and brought to us!
I commented on people who dont know about other turbo kits..I was not referring to people who have a deep amount of knowledge on turbos and who can fully appreciate certain turbo setups. For example, there are 27 people who voted for Ptuning yet there are less then 23 people who commented in this thread. Point is there are a lot of blind followers.

Last edited by Domo; 09-04-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: ptuning....turbo kit, etc.... DYNO SHEET pg.39