Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   question bout 6psi untuned (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/question-bout-6psi-untuned-161897/)

cburglb34 05-01-2009 04:51 PM

question bout 6psi untuned

k well idunno yet if i wanna run 6psi untuned or 4psi using a 57mm .63 ar turbine and .50ar compressor

my question is with the stock ecu will knock be an issue like will the car need timing pulled?

I WILL HAVE A FRONT MOUNT

b52hDUNN 05-01-2009 05:03 PM

You need a tune. You will run lean have severe detonation and fry your engine.

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
You need a tune. You will run lean have severe detonation and fry your engine.

so do you figure this though the zpi stage zero does it

scikotictc232 05-01-2009 05:13 PM

ya the zpi stage zero did it but with a different turbo. and your kit is not a zpi stage 1 either.. what management are you on ? I can send you a base map if your on the aem. I wouldnt trust running it like that cause when ever you add more air you need to add more fuel or else what b52 said you will experience detonation and run lean. Look around and search there are people that have done the same on here and fried their car.

b52hDUNN 05-01-2009 05:17 PM

any amount of boost is going to need a tune. All that extra air cause's the engine to run lean which cause it to run very hot. Its not a good idea at all to run without a tune. Just one minute of running it like that can cost you a new engine.

scikotictc232 05-01-2009 05:20 PM

what kit do you have ?

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
ya the zpi stage zero did it but with a different turbo. and your kit is not a zpi stage 1 either.. what management are you on ? I can send you a base map if your on the aem. I wouldnt trust running it like that cause when ever you add more air you need to add more fuel or else what b52 said you will experience detonation and run lean. Look around and search there are people that have done the same on here and fried their car.

i dont have any management right now, kit is still in the building process

Danger_Darren 05-01-2009 05:21 PM

The timing is controlled by the ECU so you cant change the timing. With 4psi your best bet would be to get some colder spark plugs and run 93+octane. That might be able to keep you away from detonation but I'm not sure. I would also think you would need a way to add more Fuel. I know with nitrous you can only run 50 shot in front of the MAF before the ECU stops adding extra fuel. Even then there is a lean condition on engagement.

This just spells bad news. A turbo kit is a big deal, you cant just strap one on and expect it to run.

Ace83 05-01-2009 05:22 PM

you can be safer while staying off boost. once you start asking if its safe on boost then you are doing a gamble, you are running a pretty larger turbo than the zpi stage 0. some knock prolly wont kill your motor easily at 4 psi but any knock is bad

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
any amount of boost is going to need a tune. All that extra air cause's the engine to run lean which cause it to run very hot. Its not a good idea at all to run without a tune. Just one minute of running it like that can cost you a new engine.

well zpi did it and the afr was rich not lean.....and also i ran the same setup before for az month and my engine is fine dunno wat my afr was nor if i was knocking

scikotictc232 05-01-2009 05:25 PM

let me guess you dont have gauges either ?

Ace83 05-01-2009 05:25 PM

zpi did not do it on a turbo that big.. dezod runs a bigger turbo than 16g and your turbo is bigger than the standard dezod turbo

scikotictc232 05-01-2009 05:27 PM

true true.

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:27 PM

let me guess you dont have gauges either ?

i have a boost gauge my plan was to take it to a dyno and that will tell me how my afr are and also the dyno around here also will detect knock

Danger_Darren 05-01-2009 05:27 PM

Just spend the money and tune your car. Why would you want to half ___ something like this?

Mouse 05-01-2009 05:28 PM

X2 on that ^^ Im not running FI yet...but there was a fairly recent thread on SL with the nice pics to prove it...where some guy did the same thing you were wondering about...ran boost untuned and no management....and there was nothing left but pieces of the internals in the oil pan.
We're not bashing... so dont take it that way....at least you have the sense to ASK before doing something you're not familiar with....which is the smart thing to do.

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Danger_Darren
Just spend the money and tune your car. Why would you want to half butt something like this?

your right

Mouse 05-01-2009 05:30 PM

well you're doing it the right way...by asking how to do it correctly so you dont destroy your engine.

If I can find the link to the thread Im talking about I'll post it on this one so you can see... it's exactly what happens with boost and no tune or management system.

cburglb34 05-01-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mouse
well you're doing it the right way...by asking how to do it correctly so you dont destroy your engine.

If I can find the link to the thread Im talking about I'll post it on this one so you can see... it's exactly what happens with boost and no tune or management system.

no no its fine ive seen the thread but he was also running alot more than just 6psi

Ace83 05-01-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Danger_Darren
Just spend the money and tune your car. Why would you want to half butt something like this?

he has done it before and i guess he didnt have problems.. seems like he is confident on what he is planning to do.

I say go do what you want, you're on low boost anyways.. i've heard some doing that and did fine.. i just havent heard anyone running that for long though.. and remember what you are planning is against the concepts and principles of F/I so just be prepared if things go wrong as they are not unexpected