Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM

I am so frustrated with my tC!!! I noticed a rattling sound coming from the front of the car when i accelerate and go above 3500-4000RPM, it is mainly noticeable on 3,4 and 5th gear. It is pretty subtle and once i let go of the gas pedal it goes away, then when i slam it again it is back.

I have been to the dealership twice and both times they did road tests and so on but have no idea what is going on. I have another appointment with them this coming Tuesday to drop off my car for the entire day so they have more time to diagnose the problem.

I read a couple of posts on here regarding similar problems, i also read Gotty's ordeal but i think this issue is different from his. Well some people have suggested the GB44K which i did use this morning and after i used it it seems that the sound gradually went away... so this entire afternoon i drove my car and there was NO rattling, HOWEVER while i was driving home just now at night sure enough it came back.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I also checked the level of my oil and it is at mid level, so it shouldn't be lack of oil either... i doubt they will find anything at the dealership... anyone can shed some light?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmmm no ratttlin here on mine. my sh*t jus whistles at freeway speeds, but im shure its because of my body kit. dang that sux dude. wish i could help.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I know exactly what you are talking about but I have no idea what it is. It only happens under highway acceleration. It is VERY subtle, you have to turn the radio off and really listen for it. At idle and around town it is not there.

It's not something internally with the engine, something is rubbing/tapping under acceleration, but I can't figure out what. It only started after I installed my strut bar, but everything is tight and nothing seems to be rubbing on it. Maybe the motor mounts? Or some sort of resonance someplace else?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

I have the same problem. Of course the dealer "could not duplicate issue". I guess I will just have to turn up the radio. It's so aggravating though to hear a tapping if you accelerate over 3500. I would love to hear if anyone discovers a fix.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

I further tested it out during the weekend and it seems pretty constant on 5th gear at around 3000 RPM, however it gets softer when i floor it. On all other gears when you floor it it gets louder. It also seems that the noise is coming from the gear shifter, but i can't confirm that.

Are you guys driving stick or auto?

I took it to the dealer on thursday, they went on a road test with me and the tech heard it, but he couldn't figure it out, told me to come back Friday, i came back Friday and the lead tech told me he didn't hear anything... and said they need more time on it, so i will bring it back AGAIN on tuesday to drop it off with them for the entire day... I hope but doubt they will find anything...

I will keep you guys updated after my appointment, hopefully i will have some answers.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mine is a stick. It happens more around 3500 rpm for me, but it intermittenly comes and goes. It only happens when I am accelerating - coasting or maintaining speed it is not there. It sounds almost like a plastic tapping, definetly not metallic.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be the valve cover?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah sorry, mine also happens only when i am acellerating.. when i lift the foot off my gas it goes away...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YUP! i have the same thing going on. Only when pressing on the gas around 3500-4000 RPM. I took it to the dealership, and they did a road test with me for 25 minutes on the freeway and on the road, they actually did duplicate the problem but refused to look into why it was making that noise, because they didnt want to tear down the motor and still couldn't find it, which i sorta understand. So they said wait until it get's worse and bring it back

Luckily, it has not gotten any worse but has in fact gone away, either that or i have learned to ignore it. It could also be that i turned the volume up on the radio since then
Old 06-20-2006, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah i am starting to think this is something i have to live with... maybe i will invest in a subwoofer

Anyway i just dropped my car at the dealership so they can spend the entire day on it tmrow, will keep you guys posted if they find anything.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

man that sucks, i hope u guys find it because i will be gettin an 07 next month, i dont want this, also do u guys stick, does it happen with an auto tranny and what year do u have??
Old 06-20-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is 5 speed, not sure if the auto's do this.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Does any one who has the noise have a front strut tower bar or a short shifter? If so what kind?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope it isn't con rod bearings
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member

Mine is 5spd 06, i do have a TRD strut bar, but i have had the bar for awhile now and this noise just started a couple weeks ago...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i already mentioned mine was a 5 speed and I also have the Stage 2 TWM Short Shifter, the noise was there before, and after the installation.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did the noise change at all with the short shifter?

It sounds almost like it could be vibration somewhere in the back of the dash or on the firewall. I thought it could be the engine cover like someone said, but it seemed to be on tight.

Mine's actually at the dealer today to to get the hatch and the radio door rattles fixed, I mentioned this to the techs, but given the intermittent nature, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully they can fix the other rattles and then I can zero on on where this one is coming from.

My car sounds like the space shuttle burning up on re-entry if the road isn't as smooth as a pool table.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had an '05 and now an '06 auto and have never heard anything that sounds like that before. I do a significant amount of highway driving, but I usually have the radio cranked up. Next time I'm out I'll keep the radio off and listen for anything unusual.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
Did the noise change at all with the short shifter?

It sounds almost like it could be vibration somewhere in the back of the dash or on the firewall. I thought it could be the engine cover like someone said, but it seemed to be on tight.

Mine's actually at the dealer today to to get the hatch and the radio door rattles fixed, I mentioned this to the techs, but given the intermittent nature, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully they can fix the other rattles and then I can zero on on where this one is coming from.

My car sounds like the space shuttle burning up on re-entry if the road isn't as smooth as a pool table.

No the noise remained the same after the short shifter was installed...the noise is not apparant until you reach the 3200 tp 3500 RPM mark, after that it goes away just fine. You can actually hold the gas steady at that rpm and the noise will stay there until you let go of the gas or give it more.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

exactly what mine is doing....when it does it.

The vibration frequency at that RPM must be causing something to resonate someplace.

Quick Reply: Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM