Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

S/C Bearing grease fitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default S/C Bearing grease fitting

So in an endless effort to keep the bearings from frying. I have installed a grease fitting on my pulley side shaft housing on the S/C. It was super easy, took all of 10 minutes, this allows me to put some grease in the space between the bearings.
At high speeds and high temperature the grease liquefies and it revitalizes the grease in the bearings. This should keep the bearings even safer, as they are under a lot of stress with this design.

I have had this done for about a week now and it seems like the S/C is running smoother. I will recommend this mod to you S/C guys. I'll try to make a write-up in a while after finals are over. Re-greasing should only be required every 2 oil changes or so.
Here are a couple of pics.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-24-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ur missing ur oil cap
Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
ur missing ur oil cap
yes, the pic was taken as I was changing the oil ;)
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Did you have to take the s/c pulley end assembly off to do this? I wouldn't want to get any metal shavings in the bearings. I posted this on your other post but did you make another hole on the bottom side so old grease can be forced out when adding new grease? Anyways good job, I think this will help!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
Did you make another hole on the bottom side so old grease can be forced out when adding new grease?
There should be another pressure relief on the other side, i didn't put one in since this was just a test at first, the extra grease will just come out from the bearings, worst case scenario. A lot of grease goes in there, so i was just conservative for now, the fitting has had the ball removed for now so the pressure doesn't build, soon I will be putting a relief in also though.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
Did you have to take the s/c pulley end assembly off to do this? I wouldn't want to get any metal shavings in the bearings. I posted this on your other post but did you make another hole on the bottom side so old grease can be forced out when adding new grease? Anyways good job, I think this will help!
no need for taking apart the s/c, a sharp lubricated drill and working slowly will keep the debris from getting in, also had a vacuum going as we did this so nothing got inside. To be 100% safe you would do this with the s/c apart, like when changing bearing/shaft etc.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is def a great idea man! I'll be sure to include this on my list of things to do. Looking forward to seeing more from this thread and getting my replacement shaft soon. DEF keep me on the list! Thanks again!!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some of you have asked me for a sound video of the s/c so i finally made one today and as a bonus its in high def 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5EEjcfT5Y
Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Im thinking about opening up the supercharger, doing a inspection, and adding the grease fitting. Are the bearings sealed type? Do you think this will help the life of the supercharger/ bearings? thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you just slowly drill a hole to the middle. where that screw is? the one holding the wire?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoulXquisite
so you just slowly drill a hole to the middle. where that screw is? the one holding the wire?
Yes, ideally you want to take out the shaft so you can get the measurements right, there is only 1/2" between the bearings, and so you don't get any shavings in there. Shavings + bearings = very very bad.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey man, when are you going to have another batch of these made? Or are you doing it per order now? Let me know when you get a chance. I need to get one of these shafts pretty soon for my next upgrade..
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the S/C custom shaft thread, i think he has about 5 left. but after that he is unsure, he needs more people on the band wagon for a second batch.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Gompka, did you get a chance to do A DIY on this? like the parts/stuff that we'll need? I have my shaft taken apart now and I would love to do this to mine, thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Hey Gompka, did you get a chance to do A DIY on this? like the parts/stuff that we'll need? I have my shaft taken apart now and I would love to do this to mine, thanks.
I've been really busy with things, the grease fittings is really easy to do. Now that you have the shaft and bearings out just hold the shaft ontop of the housing, in the position it would be if it were in the housing. How you know where you have to drill the fitting, inbetween the two bearings. Then you just get a 1/4" grease fitting, then drill a hole and tap it, then your done. Use the generic high temp red grease. 2 pumps should do it, then do 1 pump every oil change or so.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
I've been really busy with things, the grease fittings is really easy to do. Now that you have the shaft and bearings out just hold the shaft ontop of the housing, in the position it would be if it were in the housing. How you know where you have to drill the fitting, inbetween the two bearings. Then you just get a 1/4" grease fitting, then drill a hole and tap it, then your done. Use the generic high temp red grease. 2 pumps should do it, then do 1 pump every oil change or so.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the dumb question: when you say 2 pumps at first and then 1 pump every oil change, what exactly do you mean? what am I using to "pump" the grease in? and do you think it also needs a drain fitting as well?, thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the dumb question: when you say 2 pumps at first and then 1 pump every oil change, what exactly do you mean? what am I using to "pump" the grease in? and do you think it also needs a drain fitting as well?, thanks.
I mean the first time you put grease it in, use 2 pumps, as there won't be any grease in there initially. After the first time 1 pump will do because there will always be some left over grease in there. You can drill a small hole as a relief on the side of the housing, facing the front of the car, but i have found its not really necessary. You will need to use a grease gun, it goes on the grease fitting and is how you pump grease, available at murrays for a few bucks
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
I mean the first time you put grease it in, use 2 pumps, as there won't be any grease in there initially. After the first time 1 pump will do because there will always be some left over grease in there. You can drill a small hole as a relief on the side of the housing, facing the front of the car, but i have found its not really necessary. You will need to use a grease gun, it goes on the grease fitting and is how you pump grease, available at murrays for a few bucks
Got it, thanks......
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey Gompka,

to do the grease fitting, you mentioned above you might want a second hole facing forward - should that just be an open hole or should there be a grease fitting on that too?

Also, if we do a grease fitting, don't we need to change what kind of bearing we're using? It shouldn't have the rubber shielding between the races right? Otherwise, how would grease be able to get in there between the ball bearings and the raceways? Does the grease get liquid enough to seep around the rubber shielding on the sides of the bearings and get inside?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
Hey Gompka,

to do the grease fitting, you mentioned above you might want a second hole facing forward - should that just be an open hole or should there be a grease fitting on that too?

Also, if we do a grease fitting, don't we need to change what kind of bearing we're using? It shouldn't have the rubber shielding between the races right? Otherwise, how would grease be able to get in there between the ball bearings and the raceways? Does the grease get liquid enough to seep around the rubber shielding on the sides of the bearings and get inside?
The extra hole is a relief hole, you don't need it if your careful with the grease, worst case scenario without a relief hole the grease will come out of the pulley side bearing and get gunk all around the pulley. You don't need to change the bearings as the grease does get liquid and will find its way into the bearing. The bearings are "sealed" against dust and debris not against liquid.

Quick Reply: S/C Bearing grease fitting