Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec-SS)

Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec-SS)

PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec-SS): $2474.95

Due to overwhelming requests, we have decided to release a second, more-affordable version of our PTUNING competition short block for forced-induction Scion tC. This premium competition engine package includes all the high-end competition engine components used in our Spec-A block, but without sleeving the block. This short block package is designed for those looking to build a moderately boosted, 400+ whp motor.

The block is fully blue-printed and machined on an RMC 4-axis CNC maching center. To allow for a more reliable higher revving engine, we fully balance the entire rotating assembly and to help free up horsepower and increase oiling to the bottom-end and cylinder head, we eliminated the factory balancer-shaft assembly. All clearances and tolerances are blue-printed to our spec.

Steps we take to build your block:

Cleaning:
- Inpect the block for cracks and other damages to ensure that we're starting with a sound core.
- Prep the block for baking to stress relieve the block and remove all traces of oil and coolant build-up.
- Bead blast the block and lower block half to remove any loose material and give the block a clean, new finish.
- Hot tank and bake the block and lower block half to thoroughly clean and stress-relieve the block.

Machining:
- Blue-printed machine work is performed on a precison RMC 4-axis CNC engine machining center.
- Bore cylinder sleeves to spec for CP pistons.
- Chamfer top cylinder bore edge to ease piston ring installation.
- Square deck the block to a mirror RA finish necessary for proper MLS gasket sealing.

Honing:
- Install 2az-fe-specific billet honing torque plate. Plate is torque using the same head studs or head bolt that will be installed on the motor to mimick the cylinder head torqued onto the block. This allows the honing machine to create a perfect cylindrical bore without taper or distortion when the head is bolted to the block.
- Diamond-hone the block on a precision Sunnen diamond-honing machine.
- Final plateau-hone the cylinders to an RA finish in the mid teens. This is an extra step that we perform to create an ideal cylinder surface finish as specified by the piston ring manufacturers. This procedure significantly reduces the break-in period required to properly seat the rings. This is critical procedure, especially for a race engine where you don't have the option of driving the car for 500-1000miles to seat the rings.

Align Bore:
- Install main caps and torque to spec using main studs or main bolts that will be installed on the motor.
- Align bore the main journal to spec for ACL Race Series bearing.

Balance Rotating Assembly:
- Clean and Inspect factory forged crank.
- Remove counter-balance drive gear.
- Tap & plug oil feed to balancer-shaft and eliminate balancer-shaft assembly.
- Micro-polish crank journal.
- Precision balance crank. FYI, balacing within 1-2 grams is considered race worthy. We go to the extra effort of balancing the crank down to a tenth of a gram from end to end.
- Balance connecting rod set to within half a gram.
- Balance piston set to within half a gram.

Short Block Assembly:
- All components of the short block are given a final cleaning prior to assembly
- Mic and set clearances on connecting rod journal bearings to spec--using precision mic and bore gauge.
- Mic and set clearances on main journal bearings to spec--using precision mic and bore gauge.
- Check thrust bearing/crank end-play.
- Gap piston rings to spec.
- Install piston and rods and torque rod bolts to spec using stretch gauge.
- Install new factory main seals.
- Install and seal new front and rear oil galley frost plugs.

Engine Components Included:
- CP Pistons (89.0mm Bore (.5mm over), 9.0:1 C/R)
- K1 Technologies H-Beam Connecting Rods.
- ACL Race Series Main Bearings.
- ACL Race Series Rod Bearings.
- ACL Thrust Bearings.
- OEM Rear Main Seal.

Engine Components Optional (Highly recommended):
- Ptuning Competition ARP2000 Head Studs. (Add $162.95)
- Ptuning Competition ARP2000 Main Studs. (Add $147.95)

Notes:
- Price is based on customer providing disassembled short block with only bare block, crank, main caps, main bolts.
- Price does not include core charge. Core charge for block is $1000, refunded upon receipt of rebuildable core.
- Price does not include shipping. Parts will be ship via UPS or Freight, depending on weight.
- Average three week turnaround time, from the time we receive the block to the time we ship it back to the customer.

Disclaimer:
All products sold by Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. are sold for off-road use only. Any other use or application is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or end-user. Modifications and installation of certain aftermarket parts may under certain circumstances void your original factory warranty. Modification of your vehicle may create dangerous conditions which could cause serious bodily injury or death. Buyers and users of these products hereby expressly assume all risks associated with any such modifications and use.

No Warranty Statement:
The purchaser understands and recognize that racing parts and services sold by Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. are exposed to many and varied conditions due to the manner in which they are installed and used. Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. makes no warranties either expressed or implied including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. There is no warranty expressed or implied as to whether the goods sold hereby will protect purchaser or ultimate use of such good from injury or death.

No salesman, officer, agent or representative of Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. is authorized to waive or modify this warranty disclaimer and limitation of damages. Further, no representation, promise, description of goods, or affirmation of fact made by any salesman, officer, agent or representative of Ptuning/Performance Tuning, Inc. shall be effective to any extent whatsoever to waive or modify this warranty disclaimer and limitation of damages.
----------------------
MrC
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hell of a deal!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

YeA i spoke to mr. C about this on saturday...im gunna make another trip down within the next 4 months and have em do it... 9psi doesnt cut it for me lol

im lookin for 15psi safely
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great deal.. Whats the max power you would say this block could handle?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

double post my bad.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its not sleeved and has k1 rods, if the buyer gets both stud options... i say 500whp but thats a guess, ill let ptuning chime in
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im just lookin for reliable power at 15lbs with this setup.
This is within my "willing to spend" range so im def going back and having them do it without a doubt.

do u guys think that for 15lbs i will need new injectors? im on 550 now so would an upgrade to 700 be good?

also u guys think i can keep my stock fuel delivery system like the rail and pump
Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
Great deal.. Whats the max power you would say this block could handle?
We won't know the upper limits of this block until we can dyno it at a sustained max power level to the point of mechanical failure--factory sleeves warping or h-beam rods bending. Of course this is assuming the long block was assembled properly and the motor properly tuned.

MrC
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec-SS)

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
Due to overwhelming requests, we have decided to release a second, more-affordable version of our PTUNING competition short block for forced-induction Scion tC. This premium competition engine package includes all the high-end competition engine components used in our Spec-A block, but without sleeving the block. This short block package is designed for those looking to build a moderately boosted, 400+ whp motor.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_2NeR
im just lookin for reliable power at 15lbs with this setup.
This is within my "willing to spend" range so im def going back and having them do it without a doubt.

do u guys think that for 15lbs i will need new injectors? im on 550 now so would an upgrade to 700 be good?

also u guys think i can keep my stock fuel delivery system like the rail and pump
At 15lbs you'll max out your 550s with the stock fuel system. Don't upgrade the injectors just yet, it may not gain you enough flow since you're still using the factory returnless fuel system. We will be releasing our upgraded return-style fuel system very soon--i promise. You can upgrade the injectors at the same time if it becomes necesssary.

As toan mentioned, running more boost with your current turbo is going to net you more low-end torque, but there's not enough flow with your turbo to run 15 lbs at max power/redline unless you want to pump a lot of hot air at the top end, which will necessitate race fuel or at least WMI.

MrC
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^This man speaks the truth....

looks like a 60-1 is in order.....SoFlo where u at! lol (i still have to save $ to buy that from ya lol)
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

What are your shop rates for a built smallblock install?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need someone to buy this for me.....
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Lets see:

my tC: 16,800
Turbo kit with all odds n ends(gauges..etc) 6000
Spec-SS: 2400
Install: im ballparking 1500
Tune 500+

for ~$28,000 you can have a 400whp MONSTER tC that will own 95% of the cars out there.
all this and it still costs less than a bone stock 265whp 370z LOL FTW
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm this ssounds mighty interestng haha nad a heck of a deal!! lol geez
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets see:

Tune 500+

for ~$28,000 you can have a 400whp MONSTER tC that will own 95% of the cars out there.
Let us know when you're ready. We have a completed spec-ss short block ready to go. So there's no wait on the build time--assuming you don't need to keep your motor's vin # for any reason.

This block includes our Ptuning main studs and of course i would also use our Ptuning head studs for the long block.

MrC
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

wow mr. c thats a pretty good price imho
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets see:

Tune 500+

the look on a 370z owner as you smoke him at your local track......priceless...

Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^haha werd!!

and Mr.C..thanks for taking the time on Saturday afternoon to show me both short blocks that your offering..it really cleared up alot of questions I had regarding motor builds.

Ill def be in contact with you soon...I already spoke to Mike about labor.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

double post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PTUNING Competition 2AZ-FE Short Block (Spec-SS)