Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Serious question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Serious question...

I have a 2007 scion tc m/t with 72k miles on it...
1. Is it worth it to turbo the car? Or should I get a used wrx?
2. If I do turbo it.. Do I need a LSD or a new clutch?
3. Will my engine hold up with 72k miles boosted?..Considering I'd run only 8 psi and whichever kit I buy, I would drive to said shop and have them tune the kit.
I have driven my buddies 350 and it's a blast.. Just wondering if boosting my car will be as fun as or more fun than a z??
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I turbo'd my 08 tC at around 50k miles and less than a year later traded it in for a 350z.

IMO

1. It is def. not worth turboing a tC. period.
2. You don't need an LSD unless you want to hook up decently at the track. You will need a beefier clutch as you will fry the oem one pretty quickly.
3. It will hold up as long as you have a good tune.

Since I've owned a properly boosted tC (descendant kit, full 3" P-tuning exhaust, clutch, flywheel, etc. etc.) as well as a 350z I can tell you the Z is much more fun than the tC ever was.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I would love a z but in ohios climate it is out of the question so I was thinkin a new or used wrx..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We can't make that decision for you. A lot of people turbo their tcs for s&g's or cause they don't wanna save up for something better. It's all about what's important to you and how you want your money spent.

Sent from somewhere using Something.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That's true. Just asking if it's alot of head aches to throw a simple kit on the tc and if so is it worth close to if not over 5k? I think it would be, I am sorta just looking for reassurance
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't boost it, and if you're heart is set on boosting the tC, then spend the 10 grand and do it right, rebuild the engine, transmission, clutch, the whole shebang, otherwise, nahhhhhhh brooooo

Use that money towards something else

Nice "serious" question
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
I turbo'd my 08 tC at around 50k miles and less than a year later traded it in for a 350z.

IMO

1. It is def. not worth turboing a tC. period.
2. You don't need an LSD unless you want to hook up decently at the track. You will need a beefier clutch as you will fry the oem one pretty quickly.
3. It will hold up as long as you have a good tune.

Since I've owned a properly boosted tC (descendant kit, full 3" P-tuning exhaust, clutch, flywheel, etc. etc.) as well as a 350z I can tell you the Z is much more fun than the tC ever was.

That's funny because I had a 350z and my tC. My tC was boosting at about 8lbs of boost when we bought the 350z. It destroyed the 350z. So, for all out speed I enjoyed driving my boosted tC. But when I wanted to hit the drift events I used my 350z obviously. Ended up selling the 350z. And still have the tC. In fact, I just RE-boosted it....lol.

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Don't boost it, and if you're heart is set on boosting the tC, then spend the 10 grand and do it right, rebuild the engine, transmission, clutch, the whole shebang, otherwise, nahhhhhhh brooooo

Use that money towards something else

Nice "serious" question

Really $10k?

OP....stop listening to these people. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Listen, at the end of the day, it's about what you want out of a car and what you want to do with it. Do you need to spend $10k just to turbo your tC and have fun.....HELL NO! You can buy an entry level kit, run it at 8lbs of boost and have a fun little DD that would walk all over the WRX you are thinking of (granted the WRX was stock).

I'm boosted on a PTuning Spec RS setup @ 11psi. GT3076R making 326whp/320wtq. Stock motor and redline is bumped up to 6800rpms. I track this car on a monthly basis. That's what "I" chose to do with it. It's also still street legal and I drive it whenever I just feel the need to (sometimes 45min away to work). tC's at 8-10psi are VERY reliable with the proper setup and tune. So, it's not a taboo if you boost one. You are not going to have massive headaches aside from changing your oil. Only thing other than a proper tune, just change the clutch and have fun.

A tC at 8lbs of boost would pull on a VQ35DE 350z. The HR 350z will give you a run for your money though. Probably take 10lbs to out run the HR.

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 08-12-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on how "fast" you wanna go and how much money you wanna spend. You can have more fun boosting the tc with less money. But either a wrx or a 350z would be a better platform to dump money into.... which you will be doing no matter what car you decide on. lol
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mmmpshh
It depends on how "fast" you wanna go and how much money you wanna spend. You can have more fun boosting the tc with less money. But either a wrx or a 350z would be a better platform to dump money into.... which you will be doing no matter what car you decide on. lol

You going to dump double in the 350z to make it as fast as a boosted tC, just fyi.

You want to twin turbo a Z for example. You need to pull the entire motor out because the snails sit under the engine. You can expect $10k from beginning to end for a twin turbo setup on a Z (stock motor, and a trans that's finnicky in the 2003-2005 years). The VQ35DE is good up to about 400whp before you need internals (tC's motor is good to 350-400whp before you need internals). $10k in a tC and you can make 500whp with a setup and built motor. tC's trans gets finnicky around 450+whp).

Another side note: The 350z is very well know for having oiling issues.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I turboed my car at 102K, I know it's prolly not going to last very long, but it's FUN. I paid

$1000 for my used turbonetics kit

$850 in a used E-manage Ultimate, AEM Wideband, a Exedy Clutch, and some Prosport gauges

$1000 at P-Tuning on an E-manage PNP Harness, and getting my car tuned

It's not "Fast" but it's just a fun car to drive, AND it passed emissions . Def. surprises 350Z owners and STI owners when you hang w/them.

And for under $3000, it's not a bad deal. Especially when you've had your car for 6 years and you don't have a car payment anymore.

I made 253hp and 249tq on 7psi completely stock engine. I could've gone more boost if I had bigger injectors. Made a 14.6 pass at the local track at 100.7mph with a 2.3 60' time, I was hanging w/the G37 I ran, and a 14second car isn't FAST but for $3000 you can't beat it.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks rythmn.. I was hoping you'd see this post and through your .02 in since I know from YouTube that
you have owned both cars. Which kit should I start with? I was leaning towards descendants..
Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wELL it seems you've made your choice already. Always remember when going to AWD or RWD modifying gets expensive and tidious. Seeing how the rwd motors are longitudal inline some engine bays are tight referring to the nissan v mount motor. The subies are even more of a headache with having to drop the sub frame and driveshaft just to install spark plugs or put in motor mounts.

The descendant kit is great also ptuning and dezod but how much money do you want to spend. Check the classified's for a low mileage kit and start there.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you have specific needs from the car meaning drifting or auto-cross/road race the TC can offer plenty of fun.

FWD or Fail wheel drive is not for everyone but those who utilize it properly can compete with RWD or AWD.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say boost the tc!!! i boosted mine at around 110k back in feb. i just turned 120k while having my car tuned. im at 10 psi, on stock internals and im at 299hp, 270tq. imho its def worth boosting a tc. ull spend a fraction of the $ to build urself an under rated car than it will for u to build a 350z or wrx.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc3340
Thanks rythmn.. I was hoping you'd see this post and through your .02 in since I know from YouTube that
you have owned both cars. Which kit should I start with? I was leaning towards descendants..
No problem. I reckon it depends on what type of budget you are working with also. Where ever possible always get the quality gear. And if also possible, find a tuner who actually has a history with tuning Scions. PTuning Spec SS is baller, add a GT3076R to it and it's Killer. PTuning is the cream of the crop but you can't go wrong with any of the other kits either.

Good stuff can be found in the classifieds as Gunnist mentioned.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks all for your responses. I think I'm gonna run a new dezod kit and have them tune it at their shop since they ate the closest (3 hours away) I wouldn't mind a used kit I just worry if it's damaged or if I wont get everything I need from a used one. I think I think too much I guess. I'm looking to spend around 5k to turbo and Daily drive it till I can afford to rebuild it or get a fr-s. ;)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dezod would def be the way to go. they def know what theyre doin and their kit is affordable.

as for the fr-s, its def a thumbs up in my book...that thing is pretty damn sexy!!! i cant wait til we get one on our lot here at work.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah I just hope that it isn't stupid expensive like an Sti or a evo.
Could I bolt on their kit and drive it to them safely?? Just trying to save on $$.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u should be able to drive it there. the only thing u may have to do is drive it there on stock injectors and maybe pay them to swap em out for ya. just make sure u keep it out of boost on ur way there. and make sure u get a good engine management. i think the dezod kit comes w the aem fic.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Cool. Is there anything I can do short of an LSD to minimize wheel spin? Cause that's my big concern with boosting the car. The clutch, which rythmn said to swap out, and wheel spin/ traction.

Quick Reply: Serious question...