Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Start up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Start up Issue

I have noticed that on days where we have 100+ degree weather that the car is hard to start. The engine will turn over but will not start . i have to keep going at it for about a minute or two then it will start and run without issue.

This is the 2nd time this happened. and on both instances i was driving around then stopped for about 10+ minutes then try to start it back up.

I think it has something to do with the fuel system. What could be causing this?

I have the Ptuning Turbo Kit, a Walbro 255LPH High Pressure In-Tank Fuel Pump and 550cc injectors. the rest of the fuel setup is stock.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Slikk
I have noticed that on days where we have 100+ degree weather that the car is hard to start. The engine will turn over but will not start . i have to keep going at it for about a minute or two then it will start and run without issue.

This is the 2nd time this happened. and on both instances i was driving around then stopped for about 10+ minutes then try to start it back up.

I think it has something to do with the fuel system. What could be causing this?

I have the Ptuning Turbo Kit, a Walbro 255LPH High Pressure In-Tank Fuel Pump and 550cc injectors. the rest of the fuel setup is stock.
Ultimate or FIC? Sounds like vapor lock. I have same issue and it is a result of the fuel getting hot and losing density. I notice it at auto x's more because I make a run, then my car sits for 5 minutes while the fuel gets baked in the heat soaked rail. Takes a few sec to start and 30 sec for it to run smoothe. I have just accepted it. I can imagine it being worse with a returnless setup because all of that nice hot fuel can only go one place... the motor...lol.
Sounds like you need our swirl pot setup.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I have the ultimate. I started reading up on fuel return earlier and I think I may get a setup... isn't the swirl pot just to prevent fuel cut while the car is in motion?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the ultimate. I started reading up on fuel return earlier and I think I may get a setup... isn't the swirl pot just to prevent fuel cut while the car is in motion?

Damn I ache for that so bad. Especially when getting to half a tank and going through turns 8 and 9 at our track. Screws up your whole momentum onto the front straight.

Need to read up on oil sump too.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**** this happened to me tonight, i stalled at the stop light. tried to restart the car for too long, and when it started it was sputtering/stumbling, i had to pedal down some gas to keep it running. I decided to just tow it to my house. ill check tomorrow if its just some bad sensors, could also be fuel system.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the main purpose is to prevent fuel starvation, however the geniuses at Ptuning paid close attention to the design of the pot. It airrates the fuel, less dense fuel overflows through the top and back into the tank. Im not saying It will solve your startup issue 100% but it can only help. Co2 spraybar on rail could work.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Yes the main purpose is to prevent fuel starvation, however the geniuses at Ptuning paid close attention to the design of the pot. It airrates the fuel, less dense fuel overflows through the top and back into the tank. Im not saying It will solve your startup issue 100% but it can only help. Co2 spraybar on rail could work.
interesting..... everyone in that shop should wear white lab coats.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

AEM FIC?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

i have that issue as well when i turn off my car and try to start it right back up. i'm on fic though. i think it has to do with the fuel system as well. I just let my car sit for a little while before trying to start back up again.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
AEM FIC?
I am running the GReddy Ultimate.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

is it just me or am i seeing a trend here?...just seems lately peeps all over are having issues on start up.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

it's a trend. sounds like because it's summer. i think mine is starter related tho. i only have some of the same symptoms as the other guys