Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

AEM EMS v2 base cal - My Dezod Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM EMS v2 base cal - My Dezod Experience

Does anyone have an AEM EMS v2 (2006 tC) base cal they would be willing to share. Dezod has been very unwilling to share some of the VVC setting with me and my tuner.

I've been to my tuner twice now and do to lack of communication and information from dezod I'm still not even running the car with my EMS. First visit to the tuner. Theres no base map loaded on the EMS. Dezod doesn't tell you that theres no base map loaded on it either. they have to email it to you when you make your purchase, which didn't happen. Had to leave the tuner that day , due to how late it was, and get Dezod to email the the cal.

2nd visit we have base cal loaded, but Dezod doesn't give you the VVC setting in the base cal. Sure the car starts. Won't idle without those settings the car just dies. So I have to get back contact with them and have them send me a VVC startup spreadsheet missing data. (that really should just come in the base cal) What the hell guys..really?!? Dezod expects you to pay a tuner to do base calibration start up tuning to fill in the gaps in their VVC startup spreadsheet after paying close to 2 grand for the ems and harness. Is it me or does this just sound like ridiculousness. Spend 2 hours back and forth with Dezod on the phone today and still no where.

If someone is running the AEM EMS v2 and your cars running I'd be very thankful if you could help me out.

-Very angry Dezod customer!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default Aem ems series two

I had the same problem
.. I got my turner on the phone with Paul @ Dezod and the problem was solved on the same day. Got my car back running and tuned the same day
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have your base cal on hand Mcclone?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by STlTCHES
Does anyone have an AEM EMS v2 (2006 tC) base cal they would be willing to share. Dezod has been very unwilling to share some of the VVC setting with me and my tuner.

I've been to my tuner twice now and do to lack of communication and information from dezod I'm still not even running the car with my EMS. First visit to the tuner. Theres no base map loaded on the EMS. Dezod doesn't tell you that theres no base map loaded on it either. they have to email it to you when you make your purchase, which didn't happen. Had to leave the tuner that day , due to how late it was, and get Dezod to email the the cal.

2nd visit we have base cal loaded, but Dezod doesn't give you the VVC setting in the base cal. Sure the car starts. Won't idle without those settings the car just dies. So I have to get back contact with them and have them send me a VVC startup spreadsheet missing data. (that really should just come in the base cal) What the hell guys..really?!? Dezod expects you to pay a tuner to do base calibration start up tuning to fill in the gaps in their VVC startup spreadsheet after paying close to 2 grand for the ems and harness. Is it me or does this just sound like ridiculousness. Spend 2 hours back and forth with Dezod on the phone today and still no where.

If someone is running the AEM EMS v2 and your cars running I'd be very thankful if you could help me out.

-Very angry Dezod customer!
1) We openly share settings for it, but do not provide a VVT base cal because in the past when we did we had some very bad issues arise that where not our fault yet people tried to say it was ours. Now all EMSs are shipped with VVT disabled and you must enable and set it up with your tuner. All other cold start, main fuel, accel enrichment, ignition etc are all populated.

2) There is a sheet of paper right in the AEM box, which is yellow that says EMSs are not shipped preloaded with calibrations. Please refer to that.

3) See #1

I am sorry you feel we did you wrong, but again let me remind you that this is a standalone engine management system and not an AEM FIC piggyback where we can provide a map that can be close and just needs to be tweaked. No two engines are identical and many setup are very different (turbo system wise) from one car to another. Some fellas have custom webb cams, others are running BC, some are stock. VVT operations, fuel requirements and ignition parameters will all be very different from one setup to another. Again, I feel you are not understanding the control and caliper of the unit you have in your possession. This is no toy, this is 100% race quality, pure standalone control at it's finest.

The VVC spreadsheet provide gives very specific instructions on how to setup and tune VVC for your application. Please have your tuner refer to that document.

Just one more point, I spoke to about 5 different people this week about this standalone. Turbo sizes ranged from a GT28R to a GT42R......Not to mention cam differences, setup differences, built motor spec differences etc. Each and every setup dictates different settings, different maps and tunes.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes sense from DEZOD's angle, every race application has unique needs.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As good of a reputation Dezod has with most people here I doubt their screwing you over
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

I was gonna say... how is this Dezod's fault...

If your tuner doesn't know how to tune that's his fault.

I wouldn't complain if I bought a set of coilovers and they didn't come pre-set to my desired ride height and dampening settings...
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like someone doesn't realize what standalone is all about. That's a great unit from what I've heard. Sounds like maybe you should go to a more reputable tuner? Or a tuner who is more familiar with this unit? I buy from Paul and his main competitor, but I must say, Paul has always given me good advice, and honest advice. Wether it's what I want to hear or not, he usually tells me the deal, and I like that. No beating around the bush, just straight truth, and he always responds to his emails rather quickly. Hope you get set up, enjoy the set up, and get rid of your frustrations. Good luck man.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

I have to agree. Every time I have called Paul he was extremely helpful. He always has been. Never have I heard anyone complain about them. I have done 2 installs on the v2. The only problem I ever had was one wire that had a soft spot and was making a bad connection. Its a wire manufacturing problem. That wasn't there problem. It took me 2 evening of work and a sat before I found it guess what. Paul was on the phone with me and was emailing me back and for with many different tunes. Thinking it was a tune problem but it wasn't once the wire was found the car started right up it stalled. A few tweaks to the tune and it was up and running just fine.

Sounds like your tuner don't no ****!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Deep breaths, count to 10 all that stuff. Don't get frustrated and keep on Paul's good side. He's your biggest asset in getting your car running properly. And chances are if he just gave out tuning parameters for the vvc and called them a base setup, you'd either be in the same or worse position. If tuning was easy everybody would be stand alone. Keep your head up dood you're almost there.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: Cars finally running on the EMS and tuned for e-85

final 303hp 305tq

Want to apologize to Paul and Dezod for the rant.
NOTE: If you do buy an EMS and get the VVC instructions for setup. Make sure you view it in excel instead of opening it up from gmail or any other online reader. I could only ever see the first page of a 3-4 page document. Made tuning a very "what the hell" kind of task.

Name:  photo5_zps76cf4356.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  photo4_zps797140c9.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you dont mind me asking what are you running , those numbers are low for ems and running e85..
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member

Where are you getting the 303hp from??

I'd like to know the full mod list also!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

How much boost are you running to only hit 303 on e85?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

his posts https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217562

Last edited by ESEMRFOZZ13; 12-29-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kit posted above is not the kit on my car.. Thats another kit i picked up for ____s and giggles on friends car. (still not on his car yet)

Boost tops out at 9.48psi right now

Haybale: Final numbers come from a dyno I have a print out for but no picture yet (ill grab one)

I'm running the turbonetics kit v2
walbro 255 (I ran started to run out of fuel need a bigger pump)
deatchwerks 700-750cc (their itty bitty for e-85)
P-tuning return fuel sys
EMS

I'm sure the cars capable of more power with e-85. It is my DD though and its winter. Right now focusing on getting the car registered as an e-85 conversion so I can get my hands on a nice tax credit.

Seen a few reports of people getting closer to 400 and believe one of 430 (dont quote me on that) need a bigger pump at this point or go dual.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thiers also the link i posted above, describing turbonetics kit. wasn't sure wich one you stayed with, removed pics now.