Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

supercharger issues... oil leak and burn, running rich...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default supercharger issues... oil leak and burn, running rich...

ok guys,

i have an oil leak... sort of. it leaked for a bit, one drop per day, but now it seemed to have stopped. heres a picture of where i think its coming from, but it also looked like it leaked UP. anyway, maybe some of you have some insight...

also, i have a lot of disappearing oil. the catch cans are empty. the bypass valve is dry. there is seemingly no blow-by. the oil leak wasnt significant enough to keep eating half quarts of oil. i used to fill 5w30, but have recently switched to 10w40 for about 2000 miles now. still burning oil.

yesterday we noticed (finally) that im blowing out black smoke on WOT. way too rich, which explains the catalytic i just killed and had replaced. anyway, its running pretty ridiculously rich. could this have something to do with the oil consumption?

as a solution, without going to tuning yet, im considering cutting my injen intake to fit the s/c. think this is safe? i know it'll make it run much more lean, but its running pretty rich now, so i figure it may counteract it. but who knows, i have yet to get some gauges to really get down to it.

any input would be helpful, thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump! nothin?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might try looking down from the top of your engine to see if you can see the oil leak any better. To me it looks like your oil pan. If you have to you might want to disconnect your s-pipe from the header so you can see it better. Are you leaving oil puddles when you move your car after its been parked?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its definitely from the pan, im just not sure how it leaks UPwards, and why its leaking now, and not from the start. seems to have started the leak after i put in the 10w40... it isnt leaking at the moment, but when it does, its about one drop that hits the ground.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right were the leak I think its spreading from the air coming in from the front air dam when you go down the road.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

also, clean your maf sensor. My friend's s/c was also blowing out smoke at WOT. Cleaned the maf sensor and the car is running much better.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wont cleaning it potentially damage that little sensor hanging in it? is there a right way to?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump! anyone?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump i've been loosing some oil recently also. No visible leaks. I'm running a breather on the pcv and no oil spurting out there
Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basically, your screwed. I've experienced this twice on a completely stock setup. No leaks for me but I had large amounts of oil "disappearing" and I was having the same problem with the catalytic converter(s). No one has ever been able to offer an explanation. Maybe a combination of things. Blow-by, pcv, TRD tune, design, who knows. I am not entirely sure how the oil system works but maybe when you're checking your levels it seems low as x amount of oil is maybe still circulated in the system. Get a compression test while your at it. I just had the bearings go on the pulley side of my 4th supercharger. No explanation. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i started loosing oil when i put on the valve cover breather, i'm going to take it off and see if that fixes the problem
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just talked to Dennis over at LDL speed shop, asked him about it. told him my situation. he says its normal for a supercharger to eat oil as its doing a double-duty of cooling and lubrication. says it can eat half a quart per oil change. that interesting i guess...

ill be taking it in to get dynod and tuned with an F/IC (when i get one) soon... i'd be curious to see whats going on.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Basically, your screwed. I've experienced this twice on a completely stock setup. No leaks for me but I had large amounts of oil "disappearing" and I was having the same problem with the catalytic converter(s). No one has ever been able to offer an explanation. Maybe a combination of things. Blow-by, pcv, TRD tune, design, who knows. I am not entirely sure how the oil system works but maybe when you're checking your levels it seems low as x amount of oil is maybe still circulated in the system. Get a compression test while your at it. I just had the bearings go on the pulley side of my 4th supercharger. No explanation. Good luck.
wow that sounds optimistic :[ 4th supercharger?

compression test is something ive also wanted to get. this week is my last week of school so everything's just been too hectic to get anything done. ive just had time to check the oil, toss in some more, and leave the house again.

something im curious about is how much oil is retained in the supercharger and not in the oil pan... if anyone knows that be great!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here you are, I got your PM about this issue. I had the same prob. Losing about a quart for every 1000 miles. No leaks. Just a mystery. I had already decided to sell the car, and I removed the S/C. I thought that lessening the load on the engine would relieve the problem, but it was still there. My mechanic said it has to be the rings. He also said that I can continue to drive it like that but I have to constantly add and change the oil until I got it fixed. The oil was deteriorating very rapidly, turning dark black, and he gave me an explanation for why that is happening, but I can't recall the specifics. If I remember correctly, he also said that because the rings are going bad a small amount of oil is always being burned(oil consumption explained) and that I will burn out my cat and o2 sensors rather quickly.

All I can say is to take it to a professional mechanic that is trustworthy and have them diagnos the problem. The problem is that unless something comes up during the usual checks, you really have to pull out the pistons to check the rings.

I had the prume of black smoke at WOT also.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... could be the rings. im always monitoring the situation to see if its getting worse. i got rid of the black smoke (richness) by adding an intake (got recently dynod). now im still getting blowby, despite adding a catch can. im not sure how its physically possible...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright guys, as an update... new supercharger coming in. dealer agreed its an internal leak. got the compression checked, it was fine. so hopefully i wont be eating any more oil.

i'm also selling my catch can. ill be posting a thread about it soon. i figure i dont have much blowby to need it.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a note, I have a significant amount of oil that builds up in my catch can, and I really don't know if that is a serious issue, or just something that "happens". Input?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long did it take to build up?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I posted it earlier, but I think it was like 2000-3000 miles?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its significant, could be something wrong with the engine. rings not holding the oil anymore. just a guess.

Quick Reply: supercharger issues... oil leak and burn, running rich...