Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Supercharger parts

I was searching around this morning trying to find a repalcement impeller seal for my SC since it started to leak and was the only seal i didn't repalce. I found a garage that is making their own seal for the impeller on vortechs SCs. After talking with them on the phone they said the size is the same on all the vortechs except the huge ones. I am going to buy it and see how it works out but I also found an interesting part they make that could be a drop in replacement for the SC guys.

The seal:
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/vortech_seals.php

The drop in impeller, too bad it isn't for our size of SC.
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php

and their rebuild kit:
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...ebuild_kit.php
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

*watching*
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Good find. Too bad about the impeller upgrade, could have gotten more boost without spinning the shaft faster.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice find, what if I only want this one?:

The other one is the input shaft seal, which I already replaced, I only need the impeller seal, do you know if they sell them separate? thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I know only sold in pair, I figured it coudln't hurt to have the extra seal.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great find! i think we (SL) have found a replacement part for almost everything on the sc now.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

**WATCHING**

Thank you for helping out us S/C guys!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got them in today, going to install tomorrow hopefully. Going to try to do it without taking it off or completely apart.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AZGuy
Got them in today, going to install tomorrow hopefully. Going to try to do it without taking it off or completely apart.
That's going to be hard, cause from what I remember the seal behind the impeller only comes out the other way, so you'll have to take the SC apart and remove the shafts and bearings to get to it, as for me it will be easy since I already have the entire thing apart lol.....good luck and let us know how it goes. Small tip, the impeller will not just slide out once the nut comes off(just in case you didn't know this, nut is reverse threated) you have to take 2 propane torches to it evenly , once its heated up enough it will just slide out and you're good to go, same procedure to reinstall, if you want more tips which I got from Jaime from Vortech let me know, thanks.....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't remember it being lipped but I will find out.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the seal in today after some hang ups. When I opened it up it had a bunch more oil again. This seal had really gone on mine.
Name:  IMG_1702.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  63.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1703.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  62.0 KB

You can see here a the chip inthe plastic spring collar.
Name:  IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  51.7 KB

Little side by side.
Name:  IMG_1705.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1706.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  87.2 KB

Installed, it sits lower than the old one but that is because it isn't supposed to make surface contact with the large washer anymore.
Name:  IMG_1708.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  70.1 KB

Was only able to test drive it so much today but I didn't hear any oil slinging at high RPM like I was before.

Last edited by AZGuy; 10-30-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 AM

so at the end of all did you had to take off the whole thing in the back the bearings and all that?? or can you just do it all by the front(impeller)??
Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SRD_GT35
so at the end of all did you had to take off the whole thing in the back the bearings and all that?? or can you just do it all by the front(impeller)??
I did check to see if I could short cut this and not fully disassemble it but in the end I did take it completely off and apart. My one problem I ran into was I stripped the bolt for the input coupler on the supercharger. I was able to work around it but next time I have it apart I will need to deal with the stripped head.

The first time I took it apart to the replace the bearrings I detroyed the inner output bearing. If you have good bearings in there you need to let the large gear float and drop out with the output shaft as you press or hammer it out so you save your bearing, just be careful there.

I did plan on taking it apart with weekend to see if I was getting any oil into the intake anymore but with the very little bit of oil smell I am getting now it looks liek it is fixed now but just want to verify.

I am just happy now I have access to replacement parts for all the parts of this thing and now have a good confidence in its working and components and am no longer shy in yanking it off to check it out.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 AM

alright sounds good any pics when taking that rear part off?? i've done it before but just to replace the big bearings and the other seal but no that one and i try to take that off so i could get to the small bearings but i couldnt so i just left those and change the big ones only.. anyways if you have any pics just try to post it for me so i can have an idea cause im just doing all of this for a friend that s/c is not even mine but im the one who does the labor lol
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty bad about taking pictures during my work, just not how I enjoy working on cars. You can reference the seal repair from this site to get it torn down most of the way then you need to remove the nut on the impeller, remember it is reverse threaded. Then you will want to support housing along the sides and do not obstruct the gears so they can BOTH drop as you remove the output shaft. Use a brass dowel and beat the shaft out making sure as it comes out the output shaft bearing does not even touch the large gear. You can reference these sources which are for vortech chargers in general which is what ours is besides the additional shaft we have.

http://www.starrland.com/Supercharge...%202-22-08.pdf

Some visuals:
http://jobyteknik.homeip.net/corvett...arger_rebuild/

And how NOT to do it, you will notice how he destroyed the inner output shaft bearing because he allowed it to interfere with the large gear:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=780865&page=2
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Figured I would dump this info here.

You can get parts for our supercahrger here, full rebuilds AND impellers. I am going to call them to see if they are just replacements or if they are upgrades.

http://www.superchargerrebuild.com/?page_id=6
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty bad about taking pictures during my work, just not how I enjoy working on cars. You can reference the seal repair from this site to get it torn down most of the way then you need to remove the nut on the impeller, remember it is reverse threaded. Then you will want to support housing along the sides and do not obstruct the gears so they can BOTH drop as you remove the output shaft. Use a brass dowel and beat the shaft out making sure as it comes out the output shaft bearing does not even touch the large gear. You can reference these sources which are for vortech chargers in general which is what ours is besides the additional shaft we have.

http://www.starrland.com/Supercharge...%202-22-08.pdf

Some visuals:
http://jobyteknik.homeip.net/corvett...arger_rebuild/

And how NOT to do it, you will notice how he destroyed the inner output shaft bearing because he allowed it to interfere with the large gear:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...=780865&page=2

-a lot of good info hear-
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I damaged a bearing last time I had it apart, my fault, and will be redoing my bearings again but this time I am going to do a DIY for the blower rebuilt.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I damaged a bearing last time I had it apart, my fault, and will be redoing my bearings again but this time I am going to do a DIY for the blower rebuilt.

-imma be watching for this-
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wasn't quite sure the best place to put this but wanted it out there for guys who may be having issues with slipping belts. I used this stuff on my belt and it is like glue. I got a little bit of it on my paint and I had to use 4 applications of tar and bug remover to get it off. I am going to order a second bottle to make sure I have plenty on hand.

http://www.realspeedautomotive.com/psi-ib.html

Quick Reply: Supercharger parts