Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Reflash + right size turbo and injectors.. does it work?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default TRD Reflash + right size turbo and injectors.. does it work?

i was just wondering if you pieced together a turbo kit with a turbo that has the same cfm output as the S/C and used the 410cc injectors if it would be safe to use the TRD reflash as a tune as long as you stay with in the boost range of the tune?

now i know this probably wouldn't make huge power but it would be much more efficient then running a supercharger as you wouldn't have the large parasitic losses of the s/c to deal with.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

turbo utilize a different powerband than superchargers, a very closely speced turbo might work but not as well as an engine management that should be considered rather than the trd reflash.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^what he said. and it's not apples and oranges.

why would you even want to do a frankenstein job like that anyway?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

was just curious, and actually the type of supercharger that we have for our cars their power band is close to that of a turbo ...

im just trying to think why it wouldn't work?
i bet you would see atleast 250whp with a simple turbo kit running at around 7-8psi on the flash if it works
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

buy my lights..... and exhaust
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by nlataille18
buy my lights..... and exhaust
what kinda bump is that nate
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
was just curious, and actually the type of supercharger that we have for our cars their power band is close to that of a turbo ...

i bet you would see atleast 250whp with a simple turbo kit running at around 7-8psi on the flash if it works
Sorry but no. A turbo running 410cc injectors on 8psi on a standard T3 57 trim .63 A/R and a TRD reflash will result in nothing but a lean AFR.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe

Sorry but no. A turbo running 410cc injectors on 8psi on a standard T3 57 trim .63 A/R and a TRD reflash will result in nothing but a lean AFR.
yup it may lead to a lean afr..
and there is no way you can say the trd s/c powerband is close to the turbo.. every turbo uses different power band, turbine size,wheel, compressor, a/r, ballbearing and those things contribute to different spool characteristics not to mention other factors like manifold design, wastegate, exhaust and others that can affect boost build up/loss.. thats the reason why every turbo car should have its own tune.. and the supercharger starts building boost very early but builds slow thats why full boost is close to redline, a turbo has some lag from 500 to several K of rpms but can hit full boost fast in 2-3K rpms way before redline, can you imagine the untuned part you miss using the reflash? maybe a small and slow spooling will be closer to the s/c
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well the supercharger we have is basically like a turbo driven by the crank. anyways theoretically speaking if you could find a turbo that matches the out put of the supercharger wouldn't it work?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well back in the day, those zpi stage zero turbos would run 6 psi untuned...so maybe it could work with a trd reflashed ecu, but i have doubts.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, because a turbo builds boost differently. 9psi does not equal 9psi...ever.

how do you build that power? at what rpm? and the cfm at said rpm? an s/c is not "basically a turbocharger".

anything will "work", but doing something properly is more important than frankenstein hacks. get the proper tune for your application.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

alright well how about this then

use the trd reflash as a base and then get a real tune for the turbo on top of it.

wouldn't that be better then just a normal tune since the trd reflash would be able to compensate for partial throttle where as a normal tune on a stock ecu cant?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well the supercharger we have is basically like a turbo driven by the crank. anyways theoretically speaking if you could find a turbo that matches the out put of the supercharger wouldn't it work?
No, because the turbo will be flowing a significantly larger amount of air from 3000-6000 RPM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well i imagine it would do a slightly better job then the stock ecu normally does, no?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, you just want someone to say yes to something, don't you?

let it go.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesn't work like that. If you want to go turbo or s/c DO IT RIGHT. Don't skimp out and mismatch "box" tunes.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well what im trying to get at is even with a "tune" its not done right... unless you go standalone

we cant tune our ecu for partial throttle and not have the ecu compensate for it. the only tune i know that will work like this the TRD. thats why i thought about using it for a turbo application or along with a piggy back tune.

and btw no im not just looking for someone to say yes... i just need to know what the real deal is. if the answer to any of my questions is no, then that's fine too.

doesn't mean i shouldn't ask them
Old 08-29-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well i imagine it would do a slightly better job then the stock ecu normally does, no?
That's where piggybacking comes in and where professional tuners come into play.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well what im trying to get at is even with a "tune" its not done right... unless you go standalone

we cant tune our ecu for partial throttle and not have the ecu compensate for it. the only tune i know that will work like this the TRD. thats why i thought about using it for a turbo application or along with a piggy back tune.

and btw no im not just looking for someone to say yes... i just need to know what the real deal is. if the answer to any of my questions is no, then that's fine too.

doesn't mean i shouldn't ask them
Go look at dyno charts for turbo and S/C applications. The S/C is always a gradual incline in power until peak RPM. The Turbo is always a rapid incline in power during the spool period, then either a flat power curve, or it slowly drops off. You will not be able to make a turbo spool up as slow as a S/C.

Most of the time, the S/C hits about 150whp around 3500, then doesn't hit 210 until 6500RPM. Turbo's will generally go from 150whp to 210 whp (just general numbers) in about a span of 500-700 RPM (during the spool up).
Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
That's where piggybacking comes in and where professional tuners come into play.
im talking about for open loop tuning... which you can not tune for no matter how good the tuner is, the tune will just not stay. thus what im saying is wouldn't the trd reflash be more apt for this even if it cant handle the power of a turbo at open loop its probably gonna come much closer then the stock ecu would come to proper afr.

i don't understand how the reflash wouldn't be a safer starting point then the stock ecu program

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRD Reflash + right size turbo and injectors.. does it work?