Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Turbo Install Issues

Installed my turbo.

Basics:
-550cc injectors
-aem f/ic
-8psi wastegate
-MAF on turbo intake, BOV on charge pipe from throttle body
-got a basemap from a member on here. Just needed the car to run so I can get to the tuner
-2 step colder spark plugs iridium NGK
(Vacuum lines)
-wastegate vacuum line is connected to compressor housing
blow off valve is connected tee off the wastegate line
-f/ic is connected to throttle body.
-boost gauge is tee'd off the f/ic inside the car

Problem:
Car wont idle. I can start it and rev it, car never leaves vacuum. then eventually dies

What Ive checked:
Couplers - I blew off a couple couplers just by revving it a few days ago. So I checked all of them.....multiple times.

f/ic has most up to date firmware

unplugged f/ic and tried just ecu. same thing

changed blow off valves

-going to try a different map sometime today

-checked all my connections and vacuum lines

-cleaned MAF

Really at a loss as to what could be the problem
Old 10-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Extra piece of info....

The turbo was originally internally gated. The internal wastegate flapper was on the exhaust housing that came with the turbo. Something like this

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm

I had a custom downpipe made and only used a gasket to cover the hole on the exhaust housing. Would that cause any problems?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your setup sounds similar to mine. I would triple check for any leaks. I use bubbles for exhaust leaks... not sure what you could use on a vacuum leak though. Good luck man.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you change over from internal gate to external gate, the wastegate flapper needs to be welded shut. this can be done using the flapper connection on the outside of the turbine housing or the flapper can be welded inside the turbine housing. that could be one of your issues. Also, did you possibly drop the MAF? if so, one of the resistors could have come loose, therefore causing idling issues. did you try to let the car idle for at least 10 mins after startup? the factory ecu will need to relearn fuel trim settings since you have 550's now. if not, try that and report back. also, the fic will not affect idle parameters. something else is the issue.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dmar07sciontc
if you change over from internal gate to external gate, the wastegate flapper needs to be welded shut. this can be done using the flapper connection on the outside of the turbine housing or the flapper can be welded inside the turbine housing. that could be one of your issues. Also, did you possibly drop the MAF? if so, one of the resistors could have come loose, therefore causing idling issues. did you try to let the car idle for at least 10 mins after startup? the factory ecu will need to relearn fuel trim settings since you have 550's now. if not, try that and report back. also, the fic will not affect idle parameters. something else is the issue.
Yessir. I got frustrated after days of trying different things. Went back to stock ECU and injectors, still no go. Took turbo kit off, went back to stock...STILL no go. I checked my vacuum lines umpteen times. No CEL's. Something went wrong in the process of installing the turbo. Just not sure what