Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo installation advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 AM

Default Turbo installation advice

Having done extensive research on the best turbo kit for my '07 tC, I've finally narrowed it down to either a GReddy Turbo (with E-manage Ultimate), or a Dezod S1 kit.

I had an '04 Saab 9(^3) 2.0T before my tC, and I loved the added power the turbo...even though that car was a royal P.O.S. thanks to GM taking over the company. Unfortunately, no one ever bothered teaching me how to drive stick, and all my friends had autos, so I never had a desire to learn stick. My tC is, sadly, auto, and I've already done as much as I can to get as many ponies out of my car as possible: K&N Typhoon CAI, and also, after a week of research, a Borla axel-back exhaust "system." Thought about tinkering a little more with the exhaust, but I'm happy with the noticeable throttle response I've gotten from it. Friend of mine took my car to Titan Motorsports (20 minutes from where we live) and had it dyno tested to see what, if any, gains in HP those two additions gave; 17 HP increase, so I'm pretty certain there's nothing left except a turbo.

I've read a bunch of different posts on various tC forums and threads, and apparently I can't just install the Dezod (leaning towards that one) and be done with it. Still trying to become familiar with the boosting/tuning world, but I'm a quick study and pick up on things easily. Anyone know what else I'd need to change after installing the turbo system, in order to keep my car from destroying itself internally? Keep in mind, most of my driving is done on the highway going to and from work and college, so this is for an actual, practical purpose.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll need a trans cooler since you're auto. I'd go Dezod cuz their kit is awesome. Make sure to take your time installing and triple check everything before firing her up. Also make sure you have enough $$ saved for a good tune and possible tow (you never know). If you're still hesitant going FI, then just slap on some headers, full exhaust, and clean up the engine bay. That'll still look nice.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ELpapino nice to see your heading towards boost, that will give satisfaction like no other.
Just a heads up I'm local and know a few guys who live near you as well who did or do have turbo TC's. If you have any questions PM me.

You will need gauges and a gauge pod to monitor your system.
The gauges are your choice but I prefer AEM because they are awesome and well-priced. Go with
-aem wideband
-aem truboost
-walboro, aem ,or deatschwerks fuel pump your choice
walboro 255,aem 320,or deatschwerks 320 is E85 compatible.
-550cc injectors from deatschwerks or RC injectors but the RC's are not plug n play meaning they require pigtails and have to be wired in.
You can go to Titan for those if they are not already supplied in your Dezod S1 kit.

Also your stock exhaust has to go because it is too small. Most people say go 3-inch exhaust but that depends on the size of your turbo and how much boost(psi) you run daily. If you plan on staying under 12 psi then a 2.5-inch exhaust will work.

I'm sure you've heard of Road Runner exhaust they are awesome and took care of me.
Hopefully I helped you out a bit. I'm on the road to re-boost after two years of silence. Let me know if you have any other questions happy to help.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

3" if ypu plan to build the motor eventually. 2.5" if you don't
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
3" if ypu plan to build the motor eventually. 2.5" if you don't

Could you clarify "build"?? I'm hearing that @ roughly 300 HP a 3" is optimal... and I don't plan on going over 350... So where does the 2.5" vs. 3" line get drawn in the sand??
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

2.5" is sufficient diameter for your plans. 3" will net a tad bit more out of the engine. Let the dyno do the talking and pay attention to how much and when your torque come in.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
2.5" is sufficient diameter for your plans. 3" will net a tad bit more out of the engine. Let the dyno do the talking and pay attention to how much and when your torque come in.
+1