Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetics Kit

Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbonetics Kit

I am looking to possibly get the Turbonetics kit for my 06 and just wanted to get some input about pros and cons of it first. Im not too sure about the Unichip piggy back ECU. Should it be replaced with a better/stand alone unit? Any common problems or issues with it? I have looked for a recent review of someone who has put some miles on it but can't find anything. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

make sure you get it with the water cooled turbo and you'll be fine. My brother has been on his turbonetics kit for 2 years. 1 year with the water cooled turbo. The oil cooled turbo blows seals if you blink at it wrong. No need for a ECU upgrade unless you wanna up the boost. Mine did fine with the unichip in MI weather for over a year.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the turbonetics kit , my turbo has blown seals(for sale by the way in the classified section) I just upgraded the turbo to a garrett t3/t04 .63ar 57 trim turbo, runs GREAT! nice kit by the way. I have the Greddy Ultimate , couldnt run the unchip on the 09. As mentioned above just make sure you get the water cooled turbo , the oil cooled wont last long. That is really all i can think of , other than that its a nice kit.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys. Can I order the water cooled version through Turbochargers.com or something without extra cost or is it more expensive? How about installing it, is it more difficult with water cooled?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Becareful also of the flex-tube breaking off the wastegate. We have gotten a few calls about that.

Furthermore, ditch the uni-chip. No real tuner base around the country for it
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else have this kit and wanna give some input?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes - I have the kit. It's been running excellent with a slight lean issue I'm having. And I've determined it's not the kit or the Unichip. It is something else with my car.

I can say this is actually one of the most full kits you can get. All kits now come with a ball-bearing turbo that has a WET center housing.

Paul - the flex on the dumptube was an early design flaw. That has been long replaced even before the turbo issues were.

This kit has been around for a long time and T'netics definitely got their issues fixed. If you buy from Turbochargers.com, you'll get the newer version with the WET center housing (water-cooled).

You can check out my sig (click on it) and see my install. It was simple and fun. The Unichip does pretty well for a very conservative tune. I have 275whp and 272wtq at 9psi.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Yes - I have the kit. It's been running excellent with a slight lean issue I'm having. And I've determined it's not the kit or the Unichip. It is something else with my car.

I can say this is actually one of the most full kits you can get. All kits now come with a ball-bearing turbo that has a WET center housing.

Paul - the flex on the dumptube was an early design flaw. That has been long replaced even before the turbo issues were.

This kit has been around for a long time and T'netics definitely got their issues fixed. If you buy from Turbochargers.com, you'll get the newer version with the WET center housing (water-cooled).

You can check out my sig (click on it) and see my install. It was simple and fun. The Unichip does pretty well for a very conservative tune. I have 275whp and 272wtq at 9psi.
yeah i was about to say "what flex tube"...FantasticG (aka Garret) has the turbonetics kit that he got from Turbochargers.com...iv seen his kit personaly and the dump uses a sort of slip fitting.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Good to know about it just being your car. You know what I mean.....

FYI, to the original poster, this kit has been officially discontinued by Turbonetics as of a few weeks ago. There where only a few kits left in stock, and Jesse from turbo kits and turbochargers bought the last few of them. SO get them while you still can.

Conversely....

If you are interested, you may want to look into our kit, which is at an alarming price and includes quite a bit of "bells and whistles". It comes complete in all forms.

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-s1-sciontology.cfm
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^deff worth taking a look at
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

FYI, to the original poster, this kit has been officially discontinued by Turbonetics as of a few weeks ago. There where only a few kits left in stock, and Jesse from turbo kits and turbochargers bought the last few of them. SO get them while you still can.

Conversely....

If you are interested, you may want to look into our kit, which is at an alarming price and includes quite a bit of "bells and whistles". It comes complete in all forms.

Wow, Paul.

I can't believe you'd say that about me. I am a very conscious buyer and I do my due diligence of research before I get involved with anything.

I am not saying all this just because the kit is on my car. In fact I was defending T'netics kits way before I even purchased one because I've seen the newer versions first hand.

You know more than anyone, Paul, my back-and-forth between the T'netics kit and yours. My deciding factors were:

Ball-bearing turbo with wet-center housing ($500 option on your deal with me)
Unichip (not because it's better than FIC, but because I won't need to get it tuned right after installation)
Spearco Core intercooler
Recirc BOV (something I'm a fan of unless it's a blow-through MAF setup)

Anyhow to OP - you should consider this kit as well as any other kit. Just don't think this kit is any less of a kit - if someone tells you that then they are not properly informed or they're just pluggin their own ish.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Wow, Paul.

I can't believe you'd say that about me. I am a very conscious buyer and I do my due diligence of research before I get involved with anything.

I am not saying all this just because the kit is on my car. In fact I was defending T'netics kits way before I even purchased one because I've seen the newer versions first hand.

You know more than anyone, Paul, my back-and-forth between the T'netics kit and yours. My deciding factors were:
What did I say? I must have missed something or you misunderstood something.

My comment was referenced to that fact that thank god it is not your kit causing a problem, but is probably something that is small and retarded on your car. I think you jumped the gun too soon on that comment. There was no harm or malisciousness intended in my post. Why would I even say something negative or bashful to a fellow SL'r or for that matter a customer ?!??!?! It makes no sense!!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
SL Member

Conversely....

Wow, Paul.

Ball-bearing turbo with wet-center housing ($500 option on your deal with me)
Unichip (not because it's better than FIC, but because I won't need to get it tuned right after installation)
Spearco Core intercooler
Recirc BOV (something I'm a fan of unless it's a blow-through MAF setup)

Anyhow to OP - you should consider this kit as well as any other kit. Just don't think this kit is any less of a kit - if someone tells you that then they are not properly informed or they're just pluggin their own ish.
Well I am not trying to get in the middle of anything here but from my own experience, the T-netics kit has been discountinued and it still has some issues. One of my best friends has the kit and the so called new style manifold still has a problem with cracking. But maybe that is just his luck 4 times in a row. And as for the Uni Chip, yes it doesn't have to be tuned out of the box, but if you ever wanted to get it tuned goodluck, that would be like winning the lottery. Its good if you don't plan on getting any real power from your car.

I apologize if I am coming off as an A-Hole, and I am not telling you not to get the T-netics kit, but just be aware that it has been discontinued and parts for the acutal kit my be hard to come by if something does go wrong. Besides the Turbo itself that is. Either way you go I would recommend getting at least different engine management.

And B_Real I just don't see where Paul in anyway shape or form was getting on to you or saying you don't know what your doing or talking about. I just read that he was glad that it was something else besides your tune. I myself hope you find the issues as I know how much of a pain a Gremlin can be..

And one more thing to the OP- I am indeed running a Dezod kit and I myself did tons of research on everything on the market for a good 3or4 months before I bought one, and I will sound like a broken record when I say this but as far as customer service and just pure knowledge of what he sales, I found on one and I mean no one that had the drive to take care of his customers like Paul has. I was having trouble with finding a tuner in my area for my AEM and I just happen to call paul and he flew down here and tuned my car for me. Now that is what I call customer service! And on one last note I have been running my car for two years on the Dezod Kit and have been happy every second with it.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, Paul.

My comment was referenced to that fact that thank god it is not your kit causing a problem, but is probably something that is small and retarded on your car. I think you jumped the gun too soon on that comment. There was no harm or malisciousness intended in my post. Why would I even say something negative or bashful to a fellow ScionLife'r or for that matter a customer ?!??!?! It makes no sense!!!!!
Well then I owe you a large apology Paul.

I saw this
I had thought you meant that I was some how being a fan boy and backing them up only because I have this kit. My bad! lol
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Wow, Paul.

My comment was referenced to that fact that thank god it is not your kit causing a problem, but is probably something that is small and retarded on your car. I think you jumped the gun too soon on that comment. There was no harm or malisciousness intended in my post. Why would I even say something negative or bashful to a fellow ScionLife'r or for that matter a customer ?!??!?! It makes no sense!!!!!
Well then I owe you a large apology Paul.

I saw this
I had thought you meant that I was some how being a fan boy and backing them up only because I have this kit. My bad! lol
No hard feelings man. The internet is tough to interpret things sometime.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noskatana,

No you're not coming off as an A-hole. You're stating what you've witnessed. Although it is pretty hard to crack cast manifolds.. your friend must had some really terrible luck, or the installation was the culprit. I've installed several systems on several different makes of cars and the number one reason why people will bash on a kit comes from a poor installation.

As for the Unichip - you have to know what you're getting into - just like with anything else. I chose it because I needed the car to run right away - and stay that way until I can finally afford to tune it with another system WAY down the line.

People need to do their research first before they purchase. I think we can all agree that Dezod, T'netics, PTuning, ZPI, etc can all make more or less the same hp and are all good kits in their own right. It's the little differences that set them apart and should be considered when purchasing. As for reliability, most of these manufactures have excellent parts / craftsmanship. It's all in the tuning.

Just for the record - T'netics isn't discontinuing the kit because of all the "issues". It's a slow mover - it has such a bad rap that it's ridiculous. Another factor is that you have companies like Dezod (props) who make it super competitive and have more backing because they don't have such a bad rap. Basically it's not profitable to keep the kit on the shelf.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
SL Member

Noskatana,

No you're not coming off as an A-hole. You're stating what you've witnessed. Although it is pretty hard to crack cast manifolds.. your friend must had some really terrible luck, or the installation was the culprit. I've installed several systems on several different makes of cars and the number one reason why people will bash on a kit comes from a poor installation.

As for the Unichip - you have to know what you're getting into - just like with anything else. I chose it because I needed the car to run right away - and stay that way until I can finally afford to tune it with another system WAY down the line.

People need to do their research first before they purchase. I think we can all agree that Dezod, T'netics, PTuning, ZPI, etc can all make more or less the same hp and are all good kits in their own right. It's the little differences that set them apart and should be considered when purchasing. As for reliability, most of these manufactures have excellent parts / craftsmanship. It's all in the tuning.

Just for the record - T'netics isn't discontinuing the kit because of all the "issues". It's a slow mover - it has such a bad rap that it's ridiculous. Another factor is that you have companies like Dezod (props) who make it super competitive and have more backing because they don't have such a bad rap. Basically it's not profitable to keep the kit on the shelf.
Yes sir I agree it is hard crack a cast mani. I think he has really bad luck. I did the install myself and I to have done plenty of installs.

Yeah the Uni Chip is good for getting you around till you can get something better. And your right all of those companies make great products in their own rights. And yes TUNING makes a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had mine for 1 year now. Bought it used, replaced the turbo and I'm golden. This kit is awesome and the Unichip is great if you have a local tuner (I do). Chicago is not that far of a drive from Michigan.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM
SL Member

Yea cast manifolds arnt easy to crack at all, i had my turbonetics kit on for about 5 months and WORKED GREAT!!!!!!!! now i miss it i had to take it off and try to sell cuz i need some money . I have it in the classifieds here anyone interested go check it out.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
I've had mine for 1 year now. Bought it used, replaced the turbo and I'm golden. This kit is awesome and the Unichip is great if you have a local tuner (I do). Chicago is not that far of a drive from Michigan.
happy b-day.....

my one and only grip about the turbonetics kit is it hides the sexy pipes, i dont own it iv just seen it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbonetics Kit