Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

What do you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Default What do you think

Bought this track scion as a weekend project a while back and is nearly finished and just have one big problem left to sort out.

She had a bad case of compressor surge at high rpm and so I removed the raptor BOV and reassembled it last night. initially I found it was plumbed all wrong, the bottom vacuum port which is supposed to go to the compressor output according to turbonetics. Instead it was plumbed to the intake manifold.

Then the top port was wide open with nothing connected, this is the port that is supposed to go to the intake as when revving up, suction is created inducing a vacuum in the top chamber but only just. then meanwhile in the lower chamber which is theoretically connected to the line going to the output side of the compressor housing is getting suction from the turbine wheel.

Then when you shift it gets flipped on it's head and for a spilt second the intake manifold loses pressure in its vacuum while at the same time all the air that was sucked in has nowhere to go and puts pressure on the diaphragm of the lower chamber of the BOV forcing it open thusly or backtracks into the turbo causing the turkey goble noise of compressor surge. But if done correctly the diaphragm will release for a woosh thereby releaving the pressure of compressor surge. Now to help this I am thinking of changing out the 9 psi spring that's in there now for the 7 psi spring that I ordered two days ago, I want as little wear on the turbine as possible.

Is this reasoning sound, Thoughts?