Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

07' tC Stereo Sizing Questions (probably a new one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 AM

Default 07' tC Stereo Sizing Questions (probably a new one)

So I am a fan of my new car and I want to make it even better. I bet you guys and girls get these questions alot. But I live in Minnesota and I really cant rip apart my car right now unless I am actually installing. (cold)

I accomplished step one by putting this head unit in today.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3400BH-Multimedia-Widescreen-Bluetooth%C2%AE/dp/B006YBQ724/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1390977769&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=p3400bh http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3400BH-Multimedia-Widescreen-Bluetooth%C2%AE/dp/B006YBQ724/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1390977769&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=p3400bh

One thing I really like about Pioneer Head Units is that you can switch the rear speaker channel as your subwoofer channel and vice versa. So the plan is to get a nice pair of component speakers for the doors and some small 6.5" subwoofers for the rear speakers. I have been doing this for years but I have never actually used a small low powered sub instead of a nice pair of 6x9's.

One thing I am interested in is how deep the speaker compartments are for the 6.5" opening for the rear speakers. I want to actually put a 6.5" subwoofer in there and I need to know how deep it is in there to figure out which sub to consider. I also understand that I will need speaker mounting brackets for this vehicle. I was considering using this as a way to move the sub a little further out of the hole so clearance for the speaker would be nice too.

I am set on the component speakers, I am choosing Alpine SPS-610C. I would go with type R but I dont want to drop another 100. Anyone have any luck with these? (tweeter fit)

Otherwise for those willing to give some knowledge on 6.5" subs ill be willing to listen. These are a few I am looking at right now...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon.com: Kicker Car Subwoofer 6-1/2" Single 1-OHM Shallow-Mount Comp VT Series CVT651-10CVT651 (10C124/iK501/CA-3602/AM1052/SA-W3000 /Kicker 6.5"): Electronics Amazon.com: Kicker Car Subwoofer 6-1/2" Single 1-OHM Shallow-Mount Comp VT Series CVT651-10CVT651 (10C124/iK501/CA-3602/AM1052/SA-W3000 /Kicker 6.5"): Electronics

Now I am not sure if I will need an amp for these outside of what the head unit will do. I am a little green when it comes to subwoofers. Never have done anything more than replacing stock speakers. And I Just pointed and said those.

I like to have deep bass and snappy highs. So by doing this I hope to achieve a very cheap, powerful system that wont blow my hatch off. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-10-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VinylFriend
So I am a fan of my new car and I want to make it even better. I bet you guys and girls get these questions alot. But I live in Minnesota and I really cant rip apart my car right now unless I am actually installing. (cold)

I accomplished step one by putting this head unit in today.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3...ywords=p3400bh

One thing I really like about Pioneer Head Units is that you can switch the rear speaker channel as your subwoofer channel and vice versa. So the plan is to get a nice pair of component speakers for the doors and some small 6.5" subwoofers for the rear speakers. I have been doing this for years but I have never actually used a small low powered sub instead of a nice pair of 6x9's.

One thing I am interested in is how deep the speaker compartments are for the 6.5" opening for the rear speakers. I want to actually put a 6.5" subwoofer in there and I need to know how deep it is in there to figure out which sub to consider. I also understand that I will need speaker mounting brackets for this vehicle. I was considering using this as a way to move the sub a little further out of the hole so clearance for the speaker would be nice too.

I am set on the component speakers, I am choosing Alpine SPS-610C. I would go with type R but I dont want to drop another 100. Anyone have any luck with these? (tweeter fit)

Otherwise for those willing to give some knowledge on 6.5" subs ill be willing to listen. These are a few I am looking at right now...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PW677X...inch+subwoofer

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLG64-6-5...inch+subwoofer

http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-MAXP64-...inch+subwoofer

Amazon.com: Kicker Car Subwoofer 6-1/2" Single 1-OHM Shallow-Mount Comp VT Series CVT651-10CVT651 (10C124/iK501/CA-3602/AM1052/SA-W3000 /Kicker 6.5"): Electronics

Now I am not sure if I will need an amp for these outside of what the head unit will do. I am a little green when it comes to subwoofers. Never have done anything more than replacing stock speakers. And I Just pointed and said those.

I like to have deep bass and snappy highs. So by doing this I hope to achieve a very cheap, powerful system that wont blow my hatch off. Thank you for your help and understanding.
The Alpine components will be fine but sound better with an amplifier, check out their powerpack. You'll have to figure out a way to secure the tweeters since the OE units bolted to the door. there is plenty of room behind the rear side panels for magnet clearance. However those subs will probably not sound very good just sitting in the stock opening and the headunit will NOT like the 1ohm load. Look on kicker's website at the manual for the CVT subs it will tell you what kind of power they need and other specs for building a box to get some decent bass out of them. TBH you're probably better off going with a traditional set up with everything in the trunk.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:43 PM
SL Member

Stay away from Lanzar/Pyle (of Shiet)/Pyramid. Cheap garbage that won't last (I personally know). I don't like Kicker ("But it's a Kicker brah!"), but to each their own. Doing 6.5 subs in the rear will be a challenge but if you can make a sealed enclosure for them then you should be all set, though it's going to be heavy for the SPL and you might as well go for a 10/12 in the hatch. You can get a floor enclosure or panel enclosure on here used...or make one!

I have a Pioneer TS-W1200PRO in a sealed box and it does work with the factory setup. I'd recommend a stage 2 substage (600+ watts) seeing as you're going with new components. If you need more help, PM me.