Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2006 Scion tC Cigarette Lighter and Power Outlet inside Rear Console Box not working

Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Default 2006 Scion tC Cigarette Lighter and Power Outlet inside Rear Console Box not working

Hi all,

A few days ago I noticed that the power was fluctuating with the smartphone holder / charger that plugs into the cigarette holder near the gear shift (the power light would go off, then come back on). Then it stopped working completely.

Then yesterday the power charger in the armrest stopped working.

So I read through this Forum to try to troubleshoot on my own, starting by checking the fuses. Visually, they look normal (connected, as opposed to broken).

Then I removed the center console and cup holder and checked the wiring and connections. The wiring looked normal (?) and I checked all of the connections, none of which were loose or separated.

Still no power to either charger.

So now I have a *VERY* stupid question for you all (before I take it to a dealer):

Could a fuse possibly be blown, but still look "normal"?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Elektric42; 01-23-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 PM

Problem solved - My wife suggested I try using her car phone charger as a last result. Aaaaand, it worked in both charging locations. The car fuses and electrical wiring are just fine.

As it turns out, the charging end had broken off of my car phone charger sometime yesterday, and the smartphone holder / charger shorted out a few days ago. What are the odds?

At least I had fun taking apart the center console and removing the cup holder!

And how was YOUR day?!?