Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Adding USB Functionality to 2008 tC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Adding USB Functionality to 2008 tC

After a fair amount of research, I still have some confusion as to the best way to accomplish this. I have a 2008 tC with a stock Pioneer head unit. I like the way it can read MP3's off of a CD, can be controlled with the wheel, and how the screen will display folder/track information. My goal is to achieve this exact same experience, but running off of a USB flash drive, not a CD.

It's possible to buy a device that plugs into the CD changer port that will accept a flash drive. It will even be controlled with radio buttons/steering wheel controls, but it's a "band-aid" solution since the head unit will always think it's running a CD changer. No track information accessible from the screen. Since it would cost less than $100 to do, that's not bad. But I'm stubborn and wonder if there's a better way.

Some other Scion models/years feature USB ports. I'm wondering if I could use a head unit designed for a different Scion in my 08 tC, complete with USB hardware. Are there any that have a port right on the bezel of the radio? Or are they all remote, requiring wiring/mounting a port somewhere? Are there any head units VERY similar to the 08, but with a few added features like USB? I like the one I have and would prefer not to change it much, if possible. I kept all the original orange LEDs in my dash, and like how the radio matches. But my biggest goal is USB functionality.

It seems there are a number of ways to do this, but it's unclear to me if a perfect solution exists, and how much it costs. I'd greatly appreciate any information anyone has that might help me get this done.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in a similar situation (but I was looking for bluetooth). From all the digging I did I found the best solution was to buy an aftermarket head unit and an adapter for the steering wheel controls, such as the
Amazon.com: Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics
(much easier to install than the PAC-SWI).
You'll get a big boost in functionality and sound quality with an aftermarket head unit. Also the majority of them now allow you to adjust the LED colors so that they match the interior.
I haven't seen any stock head units that come with a USB port on the front, so if you're deciding to stick with a factory unit you'll have to figure out the wiring situation.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Thank you SFVTC 08. That's really useful. I hadn't realized you could use an adapter to use the steering wheel on an aftermarket head unit; I really didn't want to lose that and assumed I should stick to Scion ones.

The wiring doesn't bother me that much as I already have a line going from the CD port to an RCA adapter in the glove compartment. Did that years ago, wasn't hard.

Might I ask what you ended up putting in, how it turned out, and if you needed any special adapters or harnesses? Was all the wheel button functionality preserved? Such as powering off by holding down MODE. And what kind of improvement in sound quality did you notice? I really have no problem with the sound from the stock Pioneer, but it can always be better. That subwoofer is a different story though...

Again, I welcome any info from anyone who's confronted this issue. Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
SL Member

I'm rewriting the use of the factory iPod/AUX connectors with aftermarket HUs. Please be patient as I have many other things to finish today as well.