Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Driver side door ajar not recognized

Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Default Driver side door ajar not recognized

Hey Scioners. I'm new here but I've been reading quietly for some time now. I've searched around in the forums but haven't come across this particular manifestation of what I'm seeing in my car. Sorry if it's been discussed before--just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

I just purchased a 2008 Scion tC. When I open my driver side door the light on the floor that says "SCION" lights up and when I close it it appropriately turns off. However, nothing else seems to recognize when the door is open. For example, when I turn the dome light to "door" it doesn't turn on. It does, however, turn on when the passenger-side door opens. When I turn the key to the on (or acc?) position it doesn't show that my door is open in the cluster (the little red light of a car with open doors) but it does when I open the passenger door. When I have my headlights on and I turn off the car and open the door the lights don't turn off (I read they're supposed to). Nothing beeps at me when I have the driver side door open and the key in or the headlights on (I read it's supposed to).

I've checked that this blue wire is connected and tight (which I've read here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-aero-exterior-1636/puddle-lamp-install-57388/ that it's one of the wires controlling the door ajar electronics):

What makes me confused is how the floor light is turning on and off and not anything else. This would make me think that the switch that the door contacts is not at fault. (I should still verify this but I need to get that particular screwdriver first)

What would be your next steps in troubleshooting? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Just an update. It doesn't look like a problem with the door jamb switch. I swapped the driver side and passenger side door jamb switches and still have the same problem on the driver side.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

Does it seem someone did some rewiring around there? Maybe they didn't want the light to go on or the bell to chime??

I know on some vehicles you can go through a sequence to disable a seat belt chime or the keys in the ignition, maybe something like that here??
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks Haybale. I don't think that anyone's messed with the wiring (I asked the previous owner and he didn't have any idea why this would be happening). The previous owner didn't make any customizations to the car or seem like the type to do so. All the wiring seems intact as it originally would be. Screws and panels seems like they haven't ever been messed with.

As for the sequence to disable things like the seat belt chime--I thought the same thing but I don't know of any sequence that would disable pretty much everything (except the "scion" light on the floor next to the door) related to having the driver's door open. If it were something as simple as this it would really make my year.