Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/)
-   -   driver's side ticking noise, right behind steering wheel? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/drivers-side-ticking-noise-right-behind-steering-wheel-90099/)

smakusdod 02-07-2007 05:56 PM

driver's side ticking noise, right behind steering wheel?

I've searched everywhere. Most posts are related to the xb, not the TC, and i beleive this is coming from inside the car, not the engine compartment, etc., but i could be wrong. Here is the problem:

At around 70mph, in the 3500 rpm range, the car will resonate just right so that a ticking noise can be heard from what sounds like the spedometer, or right behind the steering wheel. It is very faint, but audible.

I've tried applying pressure on every surface i could while the tick is happening, but no external pressure seems to stop it. I know xb owners have fixed this by securing their speedo glass better, however this does not appear to be the problem with the tc. Does anybody else have this tick? its very very faint, but it is there, and drives me nuts.

I know if i took it to the dealer, they wouldnt hear it... so im just looking for anybody else that might have had this, and a potential fix for it.

smakusdod 02-07-2007 08:02 PM

anybody? ;-)

deathbyc4 02-07-2007 08:15 PM

I get vibrations from the EVAP valve which is rpm dependant. its the little thing with the vacuum lines. Makes a horrible ticking on mine since i mounted it to the firewall when i did my turbo :doh: If thats not it, then put some sort of padding at screws and where pieces meet and see if it ixes it. if that works, then remove the pieces one at a time daily to see where its coming from.

BLUEMEANIE 02-07-2007 08:34 PM

^ Yup. Search VSV. I had the same issue as deathbyc4 sept mine was amplified by the metal bracket on my cai.

smakusdod 02-07-2007 09:05 PM

you got a pic of where i should look for this?

SquallLHeart 02-08-2007 07:10 AM

it's connected to your intake... you'll see vacuum lines connected to this box looking thing..

smakusdod 02-13-2007 12:15 AM

this noise appears to be getting worse... and no longer limited to high speed... it happens pretty much anytime, although still randomly. Damn its annoying. Clicking, tapping noise from either the steering wheel, or somewhere inside the dash. Definitely drivers side.

anybody with additional thoughts?

intergalacthis 04-16-2007 06:00 PM

i have the same problem and it drives me crazy...seems to be getting worse also....

jrussell98003 04-17-2007 01:59 AM

I had something similar, but it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side vent. Took it to the dealer and they found the cover over the heater core was loose. Though that's down on the passenger side, the sound was travelling up the vent duct. Secured it and the sound is GONE. Not sure if this is the same problem you're having, but it sounds similar. Before getting it fixed, I was just about ready to give up on the car. Now it's all good again. Might be worth looking into.

smakusdod 04-17-2007 07:31 PM

That is very interesting about the heater core... thanks for sharing that. Any idea where this is located, and if it is "easy" to get to?

jrussell98003 04-18-2007 02:27 AM

It is on the passenger side, under the dash. I don't think it's easy to get to. I had the dealer do it, so I didn't see. I'd start out by taking out the glove box and start exploring. Or do what I did and just take it in.

Hope this works for you.

paul34 04-18-2007 03:18 AM

I think I knopw exactly what you're talking about. I usually get it while turning, though. There's no set of conditions I've managed to isolate that allow it to be repeatable.

I've even removed this small plastic card I have on my keychain... doesn't make a difference. It's not my leg knocking the key ring against the column or anything either.

Not sure what it is... but I suspect we have the same issue. I've never bothered taking it to the dealer since I can't reproduce the issue.

intergalacthis 04-18-2007 10:03 AM

I can always reproduce it....I know exactly what speed and RPM I need to be at. Pretty much when im on the highway going my usual 65-80 mph from about 3500 rpm to 4500 rpm......

Skeorx13 04-18-2007 02:40 PM

Maybe its a bomb like in Speed. :P

jrussell98003 04-18-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by intergalacthis
I can always reproduce it....I know exactly what speed and RPM I need to be at. Pretty much when im on the highway going my usual 65-80 mph from about 3500 rpm to 4500 rpm......

That is EXACTLY how mine was. When I took it in to the dealer they asked if I needed to go with them on the test drive. I said no because I knew it would do it for them, and sure enough it did. Then they started taking pieces of the dash out and driving it until they found that the cover on the heater core had a broken clip and was sitting there rattling.

intergalacthis 04-18-2007 10:41 PM

I guess I will have to take it in and let them know what happened with you....

platypus04 04-19-2007 09:41 PM

can you post here once you take it in and get the ticking noise looked at?

i just got my tc a month ago, and i seem to be having the same problem: a ticking sound coming from the driver's side dash at around 70 mph.

i hope it's something the dealer can fix... :nails: