Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Here is the simple HACK / CRACK for the 2008 NAV Motion lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here is the simple HACK / CRACK for the 2008 NAV Motion lock

Ok here's the real post, now that I've got your attention. I'll tell you, I wanted to return the unit when I got it because of the way the cripple it when you drive. Even with a passenger you can't change the iPod playlist / artist, you can't use the NAV and you can't watch movies (please note, I did NOT test the movie function because that is actually unsafe. Why would you watch a movie while driving??). So I decided to figure out why this happens. In the 2008, you do not need to have the e-brake on to use the functions, just need stopped. So this right away made it a simple process, let's find the wire that is hooked to the speedo.

You want to find the cluster that is attached to the buttons on your steering wheel. Pull that one off and the whole system will continue to work, you just lose the functionality of the steering wheel keys. You will, however, notice that it no longer grays out the screen when you start moving. After about 10 minutes with a multimeter and a lot of circles in a parking lot, I managed to figure out which pins did what (well the important ones). Below is a diagram of the pins. Note the "clip" is the actual clip that holds the cluster into the radio, and the diagram shows this side up. Once you pull the cluster out and see the color diagram, it will be pretty obvious which wire to cut. So all you have to do is cut the yellow wire marked, and that's it. VERY EASY!! Just be sure to cut it with enough room that if you decide to put it back together you have enough wire to solder it. Also, be sure to put electrical tape over the ends so there is no chance they short out.

ENJOY!

P.S. - If needed, I will get a real picture of the cluster and the cut wire, but I think you can figure it out
P.S.S. - I think this will only work for the 2008, but I can be wrong.

UPDATE 2/29/2008: Please note there are 2 yellow wires, make sure you're cutting the right one!!!

UPDATE: Thanks to Fraychild - the wire in the Scion xD is purple, not yellow, but it is located in the same spot on the wire harness.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer the question in my PM, I was monitoring the current, not the voltage. I put an ammeter into each pin and hit all buttons until a current was running through the pin. I would also drive in a circle to find which one was signaling the car was moving. The yellow wire was the ONLY one that changed when the car was moving and no, I went through everything I could imagine and did not find any LOSS of functionality, just GAINS!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

that should have been a given. the speedo wire i believes gives off a signal between 0-5v when the car is moving....
Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4.2 when moving at least 2.5 MPH. Sorry that it was "given" but most people don't know how to fix the problem so I posted it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

uhh.. i could've told you that yellow wire was for the speedo..

it was used on the '06+ vehicles for the ASL function for the audio.

though... not sure as far as the SNS functions.. perhaps for some... but afaik.. there was another wire from the speedo that goes into the navi unit.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fully tested everything. I had no issues that I noticed from cutting it (except for the ASL which I don't use). And why does everyone feel the need to criticize this post? Just because you knew didn't mean that everyone did. I found posts all over the place looking for a way to make all the navigation and iPod functions work while driving and I found it. If you knew then you should have posted it when others asked. So quit being ****** and let the post alone so people who bought an 08 with the Navigation who want to use it while driving can learn how to do it.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

can that sns be used for the 06 models?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM
SL Member

Chichum, you f*cking rock! I'm off to clip that damn yellow wire. Thanks!!!!

-Brian
Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You bet!
Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh couldn't you of just put the front of your car up on jack stands and have it in gear
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not because I wrote this but can we make this a tech... I've already answered questions for about 8 people who want to do this... and I can be posting them in this topic but usually I'm too lazy to find it and just answer their questions via PM. This is something, as simple as it seems, that people want in the 08s... If we do I'll take pictures of the whole process rather than just the diagram
Old 01-11-2008, 06:01 PM

First off thanks a lot for finding this. The problem is, I am a noob with car stuff, and I cant find this anywhere. So to make things more complicated, I have a 2008 Sienna as well, so who knows, everything might be totally different.

I am assuming I am looking under the dash, I figured out atleast how to take the bottom section of the dash off but then nothing looked like the drawing you had. Would is be similar or totally different. Thanks a ton for your help.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've done this mod and loved it! Thank you! I did mine with one slight variation though, I put a switch on the speed wire so that I can turn it off and on. The movement on the screen is much smoother with the switch on. The one problem I've noticed is that the maintainence section of the nav won't work... such as, get your oil changed in 5000 miles. It just stops counting down without the wire connected. Thanks again though!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 AM

Default be warned before you try this mod

things chichum failed to meantion.
1. just cutting this yellow wire will disable bearing sensors in the nav unit and you will not be able to navigate anywhere. oh yes you can watch dvds and use all menus as if stopped but they are quite useless when you never can navigate to any destination again. your location never moves. kind of pointless isnt it.
2. after doing this even if you reconnect the wires you will have to do the following steps. remove all plugs from the back of the unit and reconnect to reboot the unit.
you will also have to go into the menu settings and on the third page to the tire change auto calibration. only then will you start having gps navigation again.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM

hmmm, i did this mod just last week and it seems to be fine. the only other difference is i installed a switch so that i can "reconnect" the speed wire when ever i dont need to input a destination. I also noticed a strange phenomenon. i once forgot to "reconnect" the wire through the switch and over about 5 miles, the system figured out where i was and continued navigating properly. i dunno, just some observations... i'm glad i cut that wire though.... being able to have full access is awesome!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:52 PM

This is amazing! I've been looking for this forever! This should really be made a tech doc...I've seen so many people looking for this! Thanks Chichum!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: be warned before you try this mod

Originally Posted by aeolisio
things chichum failed to meantion.
1. just cutting this yellow wire will disable bearing sensors in the nav unit and you will not be able to navigate anywhere. oh yes you can watch dvds and use all menus as if stopped but they are quite useless when you never can navigate to any destination again. your location never moves. kind of pointless isnt it.
2. after doing this even if you reconnect the wires you will have to do the following steps. remove all plugs from the back of the unit and reconnect to reboot the unit.
you will also have to go into the menu settings and on the third page to the tire change auto calibration. only then will you start having gps navigation again.
Part 1 is absolutely false. My navigation works PERFECT with the wire cut. And I have seen others who have cut it and it works fine too. There is a secondary wire that controls the navigation portions of the unit (and that would be called the "antenna". GPS can be used to determine speed as well as direction. You don't need the speedo to determine how fast you are going during the navigation).

Part 2 yes, that should be a given, when you disconnect the wire you will need to recalibrate. Because the speedo is no longer synced with the unit, your maintenance feature won't work, but I'm a very capable man, I can look at the odometer and see how many miles I have on it and when I need to get it maintenanced.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 AM

Is there anyone in the Denver area that has done this?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Thank You!

I have been searching for this bypass for the SNS, THANK YOU Chchum!
All you haters suck!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
SL Member

Is it just me or is chichum's picture the scariest thing i've ever seen in my life???

Quick Reply: Here is the simple HACK / CRACK for the 2008 NAV Motion lock