Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY- Installing subwoofer with OEM radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

Cool DIY- Installing subwoofer with OEM radio

Hey guys so i recently got my car and im a big audio guy but im also broke.
I found a way to easily hook up an amp for your subwoofer IF AND ONLY IF YOUR tC HAD A OEM SUBWOOFER. There is a lot of words but is actually extremely easy and simple don't give up!
Also if anything happens be sure to comment what happened. This is all reversible to be able to go back to stock.
Also before making this thread i searched and did not find a solution like this one. If this is a repeat sorry for posting.
This is my first DIY so be easy on me but comments are welcomed.

Things you will need:

An amp with high level inputs and adapter
OR
An RCA converter
Cable cutter
Soldering iron(You can just tape wires together but i highly recommend soldering them)
Electrical tape
Standard screw driver and wrench and sockets
Some wire 16 gauge or around there
Regular POWER and GROUND cables depending on the watts your amp is will
depend on your size.

Remove your ground battery cable first!

1. You will need to run a power wire through your car. There are 2 wire grommets one on driver side above gas brake/clutch pedal and other behind glove compartments.
2. You also need to run a ground wire from the trunk. There are many bolts that are grounded to the chassis. Remove the side panels on either side of the trunk and find a good ground.

Now remove the trunk mat and you should see this.

Name:  tc_staFe_aud_subwoofer_l.jpg
Views: 3671
Size:  18.0 KB

Under this is your stock subwoofer and amp.
Remove the 3 easily seen screws but don't pull yet! There's one more under the carpet with the 3 latches near the right top side. You only need to remove the right most latch which has a screw under a little plastic cover.
Remove this screw and carefully pop the right side and you should see the last remaining screw of the assembly that has the subwoofer inside, unscrew it and you should have it off. But there are cables connected under so careful when you lift the box.

This is what you should see now.
Remove the socket connected to the stock amp.
Now the pink(+) and purple(-) cables need to be cut as they are the inputs but leave about 3 inches of cable on the plug itself incase you want to wire them back to stock OEM fashion.
Now the orange cable is the ignition cable. This will be your remote cable.

I would recommend cutting the yellow and black cable as they provide power to the stock amp and without stripping them put some electrical tape just in case./ Make sure you do all this with the ground battery terminal unplugged!
Now make these cables longer so they reach your new amp by soldering or tapping on some same size wire.
The purple and pink wire will go to your high input adapter for your amp.
You can also put an RCA converter here too. Still use the orange as your ignition switch

Now connect back the plug with those cables cut. Reconnect your ground, turn on the radio and make sure your regular speakers work before adding the amp. If they don't then make sure you only disconnected the cables i told you to.

Now you have the inputs and you have your remote wire. Connect everything back and you are now ready to connect your new amp. Before adding the subs add the amp and make sure it turns on when you turn on the car.
You should now be fine! Post some pictures if you did it as I wrote this after I finished my install and forgot to take pictures. If you want to go back to stock reconnect all the wires you cut and put all the things back to normal (reverse the steps above)

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 PM
SL Member

Default HELP

How to I connect the RCA converter to the wires from the stock amp. I’m stupid please give me instructions. I’ve never used a rca converter so I’m new.