Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LUMINICS BURNED MY HARNESS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eppopipe
mine have been in for 19,000 miles
i think its just the tc,,,not the bulbs...
my buddys harness blew using piaa bulbs..
Not true..Unless maybe he got the different wattage ones (55watts or higher).
Incase yall didn't know our bulbs are suppose to be @ 51Watts, therefore if your buddy got PIAAs with 55W or more its going to be just as risky as any other brand.
I've been riding my 51Watt PIAAs for atleast 6 months without a problem.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find it interesting that I've read 2 threads on this issue and one think stands out. This seems to be happeneing on the TC's. Now I'm only making an observation but in the 2 threads there are 5 people reporting issues and they all drive a Tc. I also understood that one Tc had the luminics removed and the stock bulbs put back in and it still burned out, I may have misunderstood that.

There is one mention of a slightly burnt looking wire on an xB, an xB FOG light issue (doesn't say if it was a luminics bulb) and a Xa issue with a PIAA bulb. There may be xB's and xA's that I don't konw about, but I do know a couple of people that have been running these bulbs in xB's for more than a year with no issues.

So I'm not convinced that it's a bulb problem as much as there may be something else going on with the Tc that is made more evident with the bulbs i.e. there is rubbing/shorting going on that may show up sooner rather than later from the additional 3-4 watts.

Just some thoughts...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well after i took out the luminics i put the stock ones back in and it still didnt work but today when i was driving i realised that it was. my connector is definantly burned but the light is working now
Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slboettcher
^^^ absolutely lame! Every time one of you cheats the dealer, we all pay.
Please don't act like and a$$ - if you make a mistake, don't make someone else pay for it.
Sheesh.
Read this thread (click me)
yup, you made the mistake. dont take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

higher wattage bulbs cause the factory harness to that sometimes. it doesnt happen to everyone, maybe 1 out 10 people will experience this problem. just go to a local auto part store and buy a higher wattage harness and splice the wires yourself. 10 mins. max.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Sam's right - my daughter had this happen - the Mustang she bought had these crappy bulbs i them and fried her harness.
It took me 30 minutes and about $15 worth of parts.

Scott
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Wiring Harness is in www.luminicsdirect.com
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HuskerChub
I find it interesting that I've read 2 threads on this issue and one think stands out. This seems to be happeneing on the TC's. Now I'm only making an observation but in the 2 threads there are 5 people reporting issues and they all drive a Tc. I also understood that one Tc had the luminics removed and the stock bulbs put back in and it still burned out, I may have misunderstood that.

There is one mention of a slightly burnt looking wire on an xB, an xB FOG light issue (doesn't say if it was a luminics bulb) and a Xa issue with a PIAA bulb. There may be xB's and xA's that I don't konw about, but I do know a couple of people that have been running these bulbs in xB's for more than a year with no issues.

So I'm not convinced that it's a bulb problem as much as there may be something else going on with the Tc that is made more evident with the bulbs i.e. there is rubbing/shorting going on that may show up sooner rather than later from the additional 3-4 watts.

Just some thoughts...
There is nothing wrong with the tC, or I dont see that as evident here. They just didnt allow much headroom above stock. So, maybe a not so great design item, but it works perfectly for the stock lights. Anytime you go over and above rated values you need to do the math or the research to make sure it works. An alternative would be to either buy the pigtail or buy a beefier harness end off another vehicle, and wire your headlights using beefy wire through a relay directly to power and ground. Then trigger the relay off the stock harness. Then you can run a much higher rated bulb without issue as long as you stay in spec of the new harness, wiring and relay. Your next worry as you get higher in power is the headlamp housing being able to withstand the extra heat.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Revilo
The Wiring Harness is in www.luminicsdirect.com
Yea they've been in.......BUT i ordered high beam harness and high beam titanuim bulbs on x-mas eve, still have't gotten it? Their being really lazy! I think new years eve was a big party for them! Really getting me mad!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

still nothing 1 month later!

Lazy a$$es!