Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Penalties for loud stereos

Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
Originally Posted by TimmyT
We have a decible law in California for car stereos. And its all on police discretion.
Yup... I got a ticket in Burbank, CA, for loud stereo, it said "amplified music" in the violation box. About 95 buck if I remember correctly.

I could have fought it and won, because there is no way for them to prove the music was "amplified", but I didn't have time to go to court.

-THE DON
Why didnt ya turn it off ? Didnt ya see those cops coming at cha ? lol

Burbank cops are jerks, they gave me a speeding ticket couple weeks ago for going 75 on 65 on Freeway 210/134 and i was totally speechless. However, they didnt say anything bout my loud exhaust/header
Old 01-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

In CA, its 27007 VC - Music audible over 50 ft from vehicle.

I like the law.

Why? How many times have you been on the phone trying to have a conversation, and the person behind you has the "Oakland rattle", and its making your car rattle too?

I guess consideration for others is something not taught in all households.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

3 layers of good sound insulator (ex Dynomat) will let you turn it up ,and not ____ off the kops.
Did it, it works. You must do the whole car.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If people with "loud" stereos would respect the rights of others to NOT have to listen to their systems, things would probably be ok. If you can hear someone's stereo from 50ft away, with the windows up, that's LOUD, so I fully support Cali's noise pollution law. There's been too many times in So Cal, and out here in Virginia, that these a$$ clowns don't show any respect. I wish I could buy some kind of gizmo that would blast something at their car, completely frying their audio electronics. That'd teach 'em some respect, and to keep it DOWN. If folks want to crank up their mega-dollar, mega-watt systems, do it at a show, not on the street. Being in the field artillery for three years firing 210mm howitzer shells has damaged enough of my hearing!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jroc

u know what bugs the hell outta me. those laws on which the cops decide if an exhaust or system is too loud cuz those are made because they must meet a quota(cops have to report a certain amount of tickets at the end of each month.)so its not the subject of lowering noise polution, if it was they would have a more accurate way of deciding if it is too loud or not...the way i see it, its ones opinion on how loud something is... here in Miami the only place i lower my stereo is at tyhe beach where the piggies are like maggots on a dead animal.Oh...and most of em down here are sneaky they will pull u over for noise...and decide to search ur car for no reason.
1. most areas dont do the quota thing anymore.
2. thank god i live in texas where almost anything goes!!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

loud stereos at intersections don't bother me as much as some dinosaur "driving" a Caddy 15mph under the limit on a 35mph road. Oh, i have an idea...... why don't we impound their cars?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is a link to an article that was just printed in the St Louis Post-Dispatch.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...D+%22wagman%22
Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...that's rather harsh...to not even allow the equipment itself to be installed...i think they crossed the line on that one...
Old 01-30-2006, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member

Well impounding cars on the first offence is a bit much. However for second and third offenses.....im all for it. In FL. if you can hear the music from 100 feet away, its a ticket, no db meters needed. I get arguements all the time from the people that I stop for loud music, they say "but its a stock system", or "its only a 10in woofer". They dont understand how far even a stock system can travel. I have tried to turn up the stereo in my cars to see what the facination is.......I dont get it. But some people just have to be selfish and thats where I come in. I tell you what though, all the guys that hate these rules, that say they are unfair. Put your kid to bed after he has been screaming for two hours and driving you nuts, then have some jack### in his hooptie wake him up with his "thump" because he has to announce to everyone that he is coming home. Or, your wife is suffering from a migrane (her third this month), you have to tell your kids to be quiet, turn down the lights, as she curles into a ball because any sound/light/movement sends horrible pains thru her skull.....and the same dork does it again. Imagine that and a ticket and impounding seems perfectly reasonable.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Don't get too caught up in the word "quota". Although it is true that most areas no longer have quotas in the explicit sense of the word, remember that quota is used to describe a hard lower limit the number of tickets needed to be given by an officer in a period of time.

How do departments keep the spirit of quotas (and the associated income) alive without imposing quotas? By keeping department wide "averages" and stacking individuals against those averages.

"Sgt Roberts, I noticed that the number of violations that you've ticketed so far this month isn't looking up to the dept averages. This may affect your ability to get raises or promotions."

Don't think for an instant that a traffic cop, an officer whose specfic duty for his entire shift is to enforce traffic laws, is going to get away with writing a few lazy tickets a month. The department can certainly hold him up to certain "standards." These "standards" will keep the instances of ticket giving higher near the ends of months.

Much is unspoken but understood, and in the end, trust me, the spirit of "quotas" lives on everywhere.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EXPERIENCE
3 layers of good sound insulator (ex Dynomat) will let you turn it up ,and not ____ off the kops.
Did it, it works. You must do the whole car.
I agree. On my last car I did it to everything except the roof. Outside the car you couldn't hear it, until 132dB was exceeded inside. Beyond that point the roof panel began to vibrate and could disturb people in other cars.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Banned
SL Member

To each their own...but I effing LOVE to crank up the system and ANNOY the heck out of people (if they don't like it) And i don't mind someone driving by my house bumpin their system...as long as they're not parked out front! Even loud systems are no louder than big rigs or turbo diesel pick ups...I think it has a lot to do with the music selection, if ya catch my drift....its 'THe MAn' lookin for another excuse to come down on the young, urban, hip hop culture...

I'll tell you whats RICOCkULOUS though...I saw a clip on ebaumsworld about 'whistling' muffler tips in oakland I believe. They make your exhaust 'whistle' for miles away...now that is pure pointless stupidity!!!!!!!!! ALL those people should be arrested and given enemas
Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Sciontist
To each their own...but I effing LOVE to crank up the system and ANNOY the heck out of people (if they don't like it) And i don't mind someone driving by my house bumpin their system...as long as they're not parked out front! Even loud systems are no louder than big rigs or turbo diesel pick ups...I think it has a lot to do with the music selection, if ya catch my drift....its 'THe MAn' lookin for another excuse to come down on the young, urban, hip hop culture...

I'll tell you whats RICOCkULOUS though...I saw a clip on ebaumsworld about 'whistling' muffler tips in oakland I believe. They make your exhaust 'whistle' for miles away...now that is pure pointless stupidity!!!!!!!!! ALL those people should be arrested and given enemas
So what you are saying then is that we should hold standards to what YOU find annoying and disregard everything else.
Yes diesels are annoying(if equipped with loud exhausts), a big rig jake braking is annoying (outlawed in many places), but those are vehicles used for transport and often the sound is constant and therefore is easy to mentally overlook.
How about this for an analogy. How would you like it if at 4am, I walked up to your front door, knocked so hard the frame shook, then ran away. That would annoy you wouldnt it? You might even call the cops if I did it a few times. In my neighborhood, the houses are so close together thats pretty much what a loud stereo system is like. It doesnt help that the foundation of our homes rests on a 12 foot deep layer of solid coral rock (transmits everything, I feel my neighboors pool pump working in my bedroom). Why is it so hard to just listen to music at a sensible level that is safe for your ears and allows you to hear if emergency vehicles are approaching, the train is coming and the arms arent down, someone lost their brakes coming thru an intersection, your have a engine fire and dont know it, etc etc etc etc etc...........

But that would be sensible and selfless. Often to much to ask.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to agree with loud music late at night. It can be annoying. But back when I used to listen to loud music, I got a summons in a mall parking lot at 4pm on a Saturday. Not even a residential area. I think that was just abuse of power or this quota buisness. Anyway I'm Done with loud music...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Sciontist
The laws were created to counter this type of behavior. Maybe "the man" will "come down" on you, such that you no longer force your music on those of us who don't want to hear it.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the main point is that these new laws (if passed) have WAY to strict of consequences.
Why not enforce the noise violation laws that are in effect instead of make new ones?

A cop can see that i have a subwoofer through the glass in my hatch (not even on) and say "well, we're gonna go ahead and impound your car, take your hard-earned show equipment, here's a $250 fine, and while we're at it go ahead and grab your ankles." All the while a herd of Harleys could be driving by while I scream "WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Even some of the Aldermen think it is too harsh. Anyway, if it does pass there are so many loopholes it's sickening.

Ok maybe it's a problem for all you grumps, but if this changes, many other things need to change with it.

Btw- i saw the news report about those whistle tips too. funny as hell! "It's that WOOO WOOOOO!"

Oh and as far as listening to the music at a "sensible volume", that doesn't apply here. The music doesn't have to be on at all. So if you live, visit, or work in St Louis, forget about a nice car stereo. Just another way for the city to make a buck for that new freakin stadium if ya ask me.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Penalties for loud stereos

Originally Posted by stl_tc_king
First offense- $250 fine, possible 4 day impound of vehicle, possible confiscation of equipment.

Second offense- $500 fine, impound of car (possibly confiscation), confiscation of equipment.
Wow, that seems a little harsh. I know that most cities have some kind of ordinance in effect to cover these things. I personally, especially in the summertime crank my music up. It makes the ride that more enjoyable. The rule (from what im told, ive never been caught) is that if the officer can hear it from a distance (like from the sidewalk in a residential area. I think its actually like 50 feet.) then they can write you up, but THATS IT. No impounding here. Im sure that they would only do that if you were being a complete jerk about it, but dont they have anything better to concentrate on?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stl_tc_king
the main point is that these new laws (if passed) have WAY to strict of consequences.
Why not enforce the noise violation laws that are in effect instead of make new ones?
Agree 100%. I think anyone should be able to have any type of system they'd like in their car. I'm only against people like "The_Sciontist" who intentionally crank it up for the purpose of annoying people who "don't like it".