Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Radio Backlight and HVAC buttons incorrect with headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Radio Backlight and HVAC buttons incorrect with headlights on

Good afternoon all. I recently bought a 2006 tC and noticed something odd happening and figured I'd see if anyone knows how I can fix / remedy it.

When the headlights are off, the clock back-light is on, the defroster indicator lights are lit up, while the hazard button is not lit up.

When I turn the headlights on, the clock back-light goes off completely, the defrost indicator light is still lit but noticeably less bright than when the headlights are off, the hazard button is lit up, and the console tray under the panel has a light on.

How do I get the clock back-light to work with the headlights are ON? The factory radio is still installed at this point. Is it a fuse or other wiring issue that can be resolved quickly? Something else that can't be easily fixed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a dimmer/brightness **** on the left of the gauges

it might be set too low for you. when the headlights/parking lights are switched on the other lights dim, they would be bright in the dark and might screw with some peoples eyes. so things like the clock aren't as bright since when your using the lights, because in theory it should be dark(er) and you don't need it as bright.
it shouldn't have anything to do with the radio.
the icons themselves don't light up unless the headlights/parking lights are on, if the lights next to them are lit then those things are running and those do dim the same way the clock does.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Ahhh if it were only that easy!! :-)

Just checked again to be sure. Turning the dimmer **** impacts the dashboard (everything shown in the image above) and the hazard button back-light. It didn't change the brightness of the clock or the ac / defroster buttons at all. They continue to act odd as I stated.

Matt
Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

they won't be as bright as they are with the lights off as they are with the lights on, thats how it is, but it shouldn't be off unless you have it dimmed all the way down.

it could be a wiring issue with the circuit board. are the lights amber colored? or are they a different color? a previous owner could have had them altered and now they don't work or the factory board just doesn't work correctly anymore, i think there was an issue with them that they had a recall on but i don't remember.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM

The back-lights for the defroster / AC buttons are definitely brighter when the headlights are turned off versus when they are turned on. (It is the same brightness no matter how far I turn the dimmer either way. It doesn't seem to affect those lights)

The radio back-light is completely off when I turn the headlights on.

The back-lights for the buttons are amber.

I'll take a look around and see I can find any info about a recall. Although with the car being 8 years old, it's probably a safe bet that they won't fix it, but its worth a shot.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

There probably is an issue somewhere, especially if the radio turns off too and the dimmer **** isn't set to off, you are probably going to have to take it to a dealer or somewhere to figure it out. you're most likely going to have to pay out of pocket to fix anything because it was a while ago and i doubt any warranty or recalls are going to still be active.

the HVAC lights next to the AC/Defroster/etc icons are supposed to be brighter when the headlights are off than when they are on.
the icons themselves shouldn't be lit up at all if the lights are off and light up when they are on, and brighten or dim depending on the dimmer ****.

the clock should be on pretty much all the time unless you have the dimmer all the way to off, if there is any light out then you might not notice the light on the clock to be honest.

the radio should work almost the same as the icons on the HVAC, i don't remember exactly because i have a 2010 radio in my 06 tC and it has a touchscreen, the button lights should work the same as the HVAC, not sure about the display.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 PM

Searched a while back and found this. Haven't gotten around to doing it though since it requires some teardown http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/11...issue-fix.html
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks MtScion. I'll give that a try and see what happens. May be a few weeks before I can get to it, nut I"ll be sure to update once it is done/

Matt
Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Others have had this after swapping radios and what not. Something's crossed obviously. Just gotta dig into it.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 PM

I'll post any info when I get around to trying it.