Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/)
-   -   roof control panel (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-ice-interior-1647/roof-control-panel-231552/)

oldcodger 09-04-2015 09:24 PM

roof control panel

The car: 2005 Scion tC
The problem: intermittent roof control

The rocker switch for the roof control presses two 5mm X 5mm single-pole, momentary-on microbuttons mounted on a printed circuit board. Mine has become intermittent. I've searched everywhere for a replacement microbutton without success. Looking at the microbuttons under magnification shows no marking whatsoever, although I've yet to dismount a button and look on the belly. I have found double-pole 5mm X 5mm momentary-on microbuttons, however clipping two leads and mounting them would not put the mounting leads over the centerlines of the buttons and the rocker won't hit them correctly.

Anybody out there know where such a button can be found?
Again, it's a 5mm X 5mm single-pole, momentary-on microbutton.

wolf36 12-05-2015 02:10 PM

Have you tried resoldering the contacts? Also how many contacts does the button have?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...520357&alt=web

oldcodger 12-07-2015 01:28 AM

Wolf36,
It definitely isn't the contact soldering.
And they're two lead buttons.

But I thank you sincerely for the link. It looks like the 6x6x4.5 buttons just might do the trick. I searched and searched and searched without success, and I WILL order some of these. I'm be thrilled to be able to repair the boards rather than replace them. It isn't really the cost, you understand, but I hate throwing away something if there's any possibility it can be repaired... and the overwhelming majority of things that get thrown away can be.

For the record, I have 20+ years as an engineer in manufacturing coupled with years of experience with J-STD-001 and IPC-STD-610 soldering specs behind me, but this'll be the first time in years I've actually gone "hands-on"... I went into and ultimately retired from a college. I'll enjoy this.

Sincere thanks,
Oldcodger

wolf36 12-07-2015 03:02 AM

Would you post a pic of the circuit board, and process of rolemoving the dome light/sunroof panel. I got the 2 tabs on the front but cant tell what else i need to push/press/slide to get it off. Im going to be disassembling and diagnosing my non functioning sunroof, might be the motor or open button, i have tried the sunroof reset and it clicked, so i know its getting power.

oldcodger 12-07-2015 08:35 PM

I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to post photos, but to no avail. I'm afraid not a computer techie guy. Sorry.
I can tell you that the
installation drawing is Scion Repair Manual RM1104U, page 74-10
the initialization to reset the BCM program is Toyota TSB PD027-06
the technical drawings and specs are in the Toyota repair manual RM1104U pages BE-46 through BE-50.

The lamp/roof control unit attaches to the roof panel with three plastic retainers. New ones come with a new unit. Get interior panel nylon prytools if you don't have them. The unit pops straight down, but it's very difficult to pop out without the tools.

You should be able to get the documents from the Toyota dealer's parts window. You cannot access them over the internet. They're available directly from Toyota only with a subscription to their design database.

danielv 12-24-2015 04:11 PM

Hmm don't know if you still need help but, I had issues with my sunroof intermittently not working also. I took the unit apart and just added some electric tape on the black buttons so that the plastic button and the rubber button can make contact with the circuit board.

oldcodger 12-24-2015 09:46 PM

Thanks for the input, Daniel.
It's been a while since I tested the buttons with the multimeter, and I cannot honestly remember of I tested their continuity with the rockers on or just the buttons themselves, but you've motivated me to test the buttons themselves with the multimeter.

When I get to it, perhaps right after Christmas, I'll post back the results.

Merry Christmas everyone!!