Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Specific Stereo Install Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Specific Stereo Install Questions...

I'm not particularly well-versed in car audio, but I have an Alpine CDA-9833 head unit that I'd like to install into my '06 tC rs2.0. I would like to be able to use both the 1/8" aux input jack and the iPod jack that is already in the armrest/center console because I have both an iPod and a Sony MP3 player that I'd like to use in the car. I'd also like to be able to use my steering wheel controls, so what do I need to accomplish all these things? Are these even realistic hopes? Help!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't be able to use the ipod jack in the car, you'll have to get the Alpine ipod full-speed cable to use the ipod. Steering wheel controls can be used, but you'll need a swi-x from PAC to integrate the controls into the Alpine. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a way I could still use the 1/8" jack from the factory?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, not that I'm aware of...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's one or the other, unless the head unit has two auxiliary jacks. If you want to use both go with the headphone jack. If you want to charge the ipod though, you'll have to dedicate the car to strictly the ipod.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as the new HU has an aux input jack, you should be able to use the interface in the console. You could also connect both devices at once, by plugging in a 'Y' splitter (1male, 2female) in the console, but if done that way you'd want to make sure you ONLY USE ONE DEVICE AT A TIME. I think you already know this won't give you the full iPod control through the HU, it'll only get the iPod's stereo output and the Sony MP3 output into the HU, nothing more.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, so I've decided that connecting the iPod specifically through the iPod jack isn't really a big deal to me. I actually prefer having control over the iPod through the iPod itself when I just run it through the 1/8" input jack.

The head unit has "V-Link" which, according to Alpine's literature, is said to "give you a selectable Aux input to the head unit, making it easy to connect portable mp3 players, vcr's, video games, or other sources. You can hear the sound from the system speakers, and you can boost and tweak it with the Bass engine functions".

So I guess bottomline, what I need to know is this:

1. Can I connect this "V-Link" to whatever is currently hooked up through the arm rest 1/8" input jack? Are there any installers or DIY'ers who have executed this process? Tips? Advice?

2. What products would you recommend for making the steering wheel controls still function with my aftermarket head unit? Ease of install? Personal favs?