Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hvac issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hvac issue

So sometime in the last week my radio blew a fuse...whoever owned the car before me left the wires exposed when they did the install. Any who but when that fuse blew (I replaced it of course) my hvac lights don't work. I have no clue on what to do. Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah sorry man. Saw this two days ago and had nothing for you. I still don't. I'd have to see it I guess to start poking around.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess if I was in your situation I would probably start by unplugging the hvac and plugging it back in to see if that does anything. Other than that I'm at a lost as well.

Does your clock work? Also does the hvac operate on a fuse of its own? Sorry I'm not much of help either.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm uploading a small video to YouTube to help get you guys a better idea
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hvac issue:
Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump
Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hahah!! Oh!! Now I get it. Yeah that video was much needed. I had no idea what you were talking about. Looks like someone tapped into those wires to maybe do an aftermarket something, and they grabbed those wires so they could control when the item would be on or off based on the steering column light toggle, but they clearly did something backwards. Also, you mention that the previous owner "did the install." That's all you said. So what does that mean? What install? And has your lights always done that, or just after the fuse blew? Because if that were the case, then it's still fuse related and you need to check all of them. There will be multiple that play into effect for your steering column light toggle. The radio fuse will have absolutely nothing to do with the fuse that is related to those lights on your hvac.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Hahah!! Oh!! Now I get it. Yeah that video was much needed. I had no idea what you were talking about. Looks like someone tapped into those wires to maybe do an aftermarket something, and they grabbed those wires so they could control when the item would be on or off based on the steering column light toggle, but they clearly did something backwards. Also, you mention that the previous owner "did the install." That's all you said. So what does that mean? What install? And has your lights always done that, or just after the fuse blew? Because if that were the case, then it's still fuse related and you need to check all of them. There will be multiple that play into effect for your steering column light toggle. The radio fuse will have absolutely nothing to do with the fuse that is related to those lights on your hvac.
I did the led mod for the hvac lights it use to look like this

The part that the previous owner did was the radio install...and basically every wire was exposed. No black tape no nothing.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. So you putzed with the lights and now they don't work? This is on you man.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The FUSE blew for the radio in the car then it stopped working
Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right. I get that. So something else was effected as well, either with you wire job or another fuse where those lights are wired to.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 AM

Unfortunately it isn't much help, but for what its worth, since I installed my system, my left HID headlight only turns on if I turn on->off->on my lights. The initial install isn't what did it, and it wasn't affected when screwing around with any wires to the stereo etc, what did it was when I upgraded a 20 fuse to a 40 from the battery to the 0 gauge positive that goes to the amp in my trunk. To test it, I downgraded back to the 20 (didn't run my sub on it though), and the headlights worked fine again.

If you changed any fuses or wires from your battery to an amp, that may have caused it. Don't ask me how that even makes sense cause I have no idea.

Edit: For clarity, when I say fuse, I don't mean a fuse in either of the fuse boxes.