Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC2 bluetooth stereo plug and play into tC1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC2 bluetooth stereo plug and play into tC1?

I was wondering, would the new tC2 standard stereo be a plug-and-play upgrade for tC1?

Bluetooth + steering wheel controls + plug-and-play would definitely be something I would keep my eyes out for... unless it's too good to be true.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say it wouldn't work. The wiring harness would need to be tapped into to feed the speakers your phone call and then you'd need the mic. Just get an aftermarket bluetooth kit to hook up to ur aftermarket deck. Solved.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone else tried this? I got a bluetooth audio receiver but I'm getting electrical noise/whine from the engine that passes through the cigarette power adapter
Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
has anyone else tried this? I got a bluetooth audio receiver but I'm getting electrical noise/whine from the engine that passes through the cigarette power adapter
Your cig lighter circuit probably isn't shielded. Your stop lamp circuit is shielded. You could try tapping the green wire on your stop lamp switch harness. It's +12 w/ the ignition 'on'.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Your cig lighter circuit probably isn't shielded. Your stop lamp circuit is shielded. You could try tapping the green wire on your stop lamp switch harness. It's +12 w/ the ignition 'on'.
that's a crazy cool idea. let me go look at the schematics to double check. What's it shielded with?

edit: looks like a capacitor of sorts

here?

Name:  UT3H0VP.png
Views: 35
Size:  149.7 KB

Last edited by rancur3p1c; 11-14-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, the maintenance manual's electrical diagram doesn't specify the type of shielding. It only indicates which circuits are shielded.

The above diagram looks like the switch is behind the instrument panel but it's mounted on the brake pedal arm. Grasp the visible part of the brake pedal arm and slowly move your hand up the arm until you feel the brake switch. If you lay in the floorboard, you can probably see it. Be careful working under the dash as there are sharp objects sticking out here and there.

The throttle circuit is also shielded but the stop switch cable might be easier to access. Unplugging the cable from the stop switch might give you more slack to work a t-tap onto the green wire of the harness. The stop switch actuator is adjustable. Take care not to bump it out of adjustment, if/ when you unplug and plug-in the wire harness.

Have you seen the headsets that feature "noise reduction"? I don't know whether it's 'tramp' noise reduction or electronic noise reduction but it might be worth investigating.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Sorry, the maintenance manual's electrical diagram doesn't specify the type of shielding. It only indicates which circuits are shielded.

The above diagram looks like the switch is behind the instrument panel but it's mounted on the brake pedal arm. Grasp the visible part of the brake pedal arm and slowly move your hand up the arm until you feel the brake switch. If you lay in the floorboard, you can probably see it. Be careful working under the dash as there are sharp objects sticking out here and there.

The throttle circuit is also shielded but the stop switch cable might be easier to access. Unplugging the cable from the stop switch might give you more slack to work a t-tap onto the green wire of the harness. The stop switch actuator is adjustable. Take care not to bump it out of adjustment, if/ when you unplug and plug-in the wire harness.

Have you seen the headsets that feature "noise reduction"? I don't know whether it's 'tramp' noise reduction or electronic noise reduction but it might be worth investigating.
well it's mainly a problem for the Bluetooth converters that plug into the aux port and the cigarette lighter. My own earphones aren't going to help other people listen to music! or me without hastle. Headsets with noise reduction are either passive noise reduction (most form a seal with the ear canal blocking outside noise) or active (filtering ambient). Neither can help with noise from the source that's powering the drivers/speakers/headunit

Thank you for the thoughts. I will post back with my results
Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got you on the headphone "noise reduction".

I took another look at the stop lamp switch circuit. The shielding may be a shielded area instead of a shielded circuit wire. I can't make it out.

Would you like a copy of the diagram?