Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Will I be able to fit Infinity Kappa's in the doors in my 2005 tC?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Default Will I be able to fit Infinity Kappa's in the doors in my 2005 tC?

Howdy Folks,
A recent automotive accident left me sans vehicle. I found an awesome deal on a 2005 Scion tC that I just couldn't pass up. It had almost everything I wanted..it's a 2 door coupe, moonroof, decent mileage, manual transmission, and the list goes on.

I have already had a mechanic go through the vehicle from top to bottom, and was happy to hear that the previous owner had maintained the vehicle extremely well. I replaced the plugs, belts, fluids, and bulbs (moving to LED), as well as an entirely new coolant system including the radiator, water pump, hoses, t-stat, housing, etc.

I had signed up for this site in the hopes that I might be able to gather some information from y'all, that might be beneficial to me in upgrading my vehicle. My next project...the audio system...the issue...will I be able to fit Infinity Kappa's in the doors?

I am happy to join the community, and look forward to learning whatever I can from the combined experience from the members here.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-20-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: moved to proper forum
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To replace the door speakers, you will need to make or buy mounting brackets to bolt to the door. The factory speakers are permanently mounted to a plastic baffle that you will have to drill out (3 rivets). You can mount just about an 6.5" speaker, but depending on the depth, you may need to use a thicker baffle.

When I did mine years ago, I had a very deep 6.5" Alpine Type-X driver. I ended up fabbing up a mounting plate using 2 stacked pieces for 3/4" MDF to give me 1.5" more clearance. I did have to trim some plastic off the inside of the door panel to get it to go back on. You may not need to do that depending on your speaker, so a single 3/4" baffle may suffice if your speaker's magnet is not too deep. If you don't want to make them, you can buy them from this guy:

Doctor Isotope dot Com - Plates and Panels

He was an old forum member, and I believe he still makes these. I just bought a replacement set from him last year as I'm planning to upgrade my mids to a 7 incher.