Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

2005 Scion tC vs. 2005 Ford Mustang, results inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default 2005 Scion tC vs. 2005 Ford Mustang, results inside.

Ran against what seemed to be a stock v6 2005 Mustang last night. Conditions were perfect, we encountered each other on a one lane road as we were both heading for open freeway. He lined up behind me, I revved to see if he wanted to run. He revved back. My TRD exhaust easily dwarfing his remotecontrolcaresque stock exhaust. We gently cruise on, then when the road opens up into a relatively deserted two lane highway, we gun it, just to get our respective cars warmed up for the real show. Conveniently, we approach a red light. Just us two, no other cars around. We line up at the light.....green, tires wail. I pull slightly at first, through first second and part of third. Through fourth he pulls slowly, taking the lead by a hair, then I regain and put half a car on him. Not sure if it's because his car ran out of steam or if he was scared as we approached 120. We come upon some cars and slow down. Again we encounter a light, and let her rip. Again no clear cut winner. Very even race. I think it necessary to add, my opponent had one other person in his car, I was solo. In either case, I easily matched, if not beat this 210 horspower rival. Some might call bs, but we went from a roll a few times, and from a dig. On either occassion, he could not, and did not pull on me. I'm very happy with my nearly stock tC. My only mod thus far to the engine performance, is my TRD exhaust, which as we all know doesn't add much. Also, I'm in a stick, I couldnt tell if he was in a manual, but judging by the way my car would drop and then gain as I shifted, and his stayed true the whole time, it was an auto.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The auto v6 beats us by about .5 sec 0-60 as well as about .5 sec in the 1/4 mile... not much chance of beating one stock for stock if the driver knows what they are doing. Good job on outdriving them, but I wouldnt put any money on a real race with one
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Like I said, there was a guy in his passenger seat, thats prob 150-200 extra lbs right there, plus our gearing is pretty aggressive, don't believe what you see in magazines, the only thing that matters is what you experience on the street, and believe me, he couldnt pull.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not just going by the magazines. Going from track times, the fact that I have driven one, and my friends who can outrun me.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well, I guess ur car isn't making the kind of numbers mine is. Or you can't drive so well. You win some, you lose some...and I won against the stang. Moreover, in "sporty" cars like a Mustang, there isn't much thought necessary to make em go relatively fast. In the auto, it's basically pedal to the metal from a roll. And from the dig, we both peeled out a good bit, I don't think he knew how to launch using his brake, however maybe he was braking and revving but I couldn't hear it due to my own much louder exhaust revving up before the launch.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Woodyear
Well, I guess ur car isn't making the kind of numbers mine is. Or you can't drive so well. You win some, you lose some...and I won against the stang. Moreover, in "sporty" cars like a Mustang, there isn't much thought necessary to make em go relatively fast. In the auto, it's basically pedal to the metal from a roll. And from the dig, we both peeled out a good bit, I don't think he knew how to launch using his brake, however maybe he was braking and revving but I couldn't hear it due to my own much louder exhaust revving up before the launch.
Actually, I drive VERY well, and will put my driving against many others. I was matching against track times of other cars, and I already know the time of the tC, from multiple sources, not just my own, and if you drive the two, there is a distinct difference. So my driving doesnt have much to do with it. I was not taking away from your victory, just saying that car for car, with even drivers, i wouldn't put my money on the tC. I am not taking away from the tC, I love mine and would never trade it for a Mustang (its a ford for christs sake!).
Old 03-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

They are closely matched. The 2005 V6 Mustang auto does 0-60 in about 7 seconds flat.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rion
They are closely matched. The 2005 V6 Mustang auto does 0-60 in about 7 seconds flat.
and 7.5 for the tC. That is quite a diffference
Old 03-19-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by Rion
and 7.5 for the tC. That is quite a diffference
yep, that's a big difference. that mustang should've won.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

if I was really rich then I would buy a cobra, just for the kicks. :D
Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TurboMe
if I was really rich then I would buy a cobra, just for the kicks. :D
i'm not rich and have owned 3 vettes, you couldn't give me a mustang. They are too slow, my first vette was a '93 with 300 horses stock and i raced a '97 cobra, he couldn't hang. But i am a chevy fan. Have 2 kids now so i will be buying the tc to play around with. Just traded my '00 vette for an '04 tahoe for the wife and i have loved the looks of the tc ever since i saw the first commercial, so i will buy one this summer when i get the cash.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Banned
SL Member

Listen stock for stock, sure all things being equal the Stang driver should win. But all things weren't equal. For one, I have a stick and I suspect he was in an auto. Two, he had a passenger and I didn't. Those factors contributed to my equaling/beating him. And a win is a win, regardless of what factors precipitated the victory. If I miss a shift and lose, it's my own fault, and I lose a race, regarless of if my car should have beaten my opponents, if my driving sucks it won't. All I'm saying is that we had a good run from several rolls, and several digs, and he couldn't pull me. I've also raced a 190 hp Passat v6 and pulled him hard. The tC has a lot more getup than the numbers would indicate, and if driven properly we can really suprise a lot of "faster" cars. I bet that stang was ____ing his pants that a stock tC could hang with him and actually pull him.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member

thats right a win is a win, take them how you can get them
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I really don't care for v6 Stangs and fbody's much anymore... they're over-rated.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

American cars are horrible. I'm glad you beat a V6 with a V4.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChuChuRocket

v4???? haha.....inline 4 you mean???
Old 03-19-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

im not blasting anyone here, but our car have to run faster than 7.5. i beat my friends modded zx2 with just about every bolt on. he runs a 15.3 in the 1/4 mile. i honestly think its possible to run our cars lower than the mag. times. btw im stock.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member

Good now go find a 0-60 in 4.9 seconds stock GT or better yet, wait until next year and see if you can take the 550 HP Shelby.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChuChuRocket
no v4 I4
Old 03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The best track times that I have seen posted for the tC manual are around 15.6 seconds. And that is out of ALL the posted times I have seen, so that includes the bs factor! I can definitely believe 15.6 on a really good run, but it's not going to get much better than that. Now that is a great time for a stock 4cyl however, but we have to keep the numbers in perspective when matching to other cars. Now slap a turbo on em...... and it will be muuuch better Or the supercharger...... but siiggggghhhhhhhh its not out yet

Quick Reply: 2005 Scion tC vs. 2005 Ford Mustang, results inside.