Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

ABS Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default ABS Lock

Yesterday (August 17) @ about 4:30 p.m. in ther afternoon my ABS on my Scion tC locked up going about 35 mph. The rear of the car fishtailed and my rear right wheel hit and scraped the curb.

My car has 430 miles...I reported the incident to Scion HQ. I told them I no longer wanted the vehicle.

I spoke to someone at the dealer and they said they've heard of 3 other incidents with the ABS locking up. Scion HQ said that mine was the 2nd reported. This sucks...

I am now looking at other more reliable and safe vehicles...
Old 08-18-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Now that's scary. 3 incidents, 2 of them are here, on scionlife... Can you give some detail on what were you doing, what speed, why are you saying that ABS locked up, not just "rear brakes"?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bummer!!!

I think there have been another post about a problem with the ABS. Since the ABS function has been on cars for years, seems like they could hook your car up to the computer and see if the ABS is spitting out a code.

I have 1300 miles so far and no ABS problem.

Keep us informed on what they find out and hopefully you will decide to keep your tC.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Why is everybody saying that "ABS locked up"? From what I've heard here it's just rear brakes locking up - ABS never gets a chance to engage and the situations in which the lockups occurred did not require ABS to engage. Plus ABS engagement means letting the brakes slip, so it's kinda opposite from locking up.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member

I clutched in and applied the brake to slow down on a slight turn, the front and rear of the vehicle came to a screeching halt and the rear fishtailed to hit the curb.

I called Scion HQ and they gave me a case # and told me that a regional rep would be contacting me within 2 business days. They also told me to not have any repairs done on the vehicle until the car has been inspected by the regional rep.

I know people have had positive experiences with their tC...mine was just unfortunate, luckily there were no vehicles too close to me...and I was in a single car accident.

I just don't want my particular vehicle anymore...if they can I want the vehicle replaced.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

the rear locking up is quite possible (zoltiz)...nonetheless not cool
Old 08-18-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tektC
I clutched in and applied the brake to slow down on a slight turn, the front and rear of the vehicle came to a screeching halt and the rear fishtailed to hit the curb.
Just trying to understand what's going on here...How fast were you going? How hard were you applying the brakes? What kind of turn (90 degree, 45 degree, highway ramp?) What kind of surface were you on (asphalt, concrete, wet, dry, gravel?)
Old 08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member

the turn was slight probably less than 45 degrees...I was on an overpass...I was going about 35 mph, I clutched in just in case I needed to go to a lower gear (I was on 3rd) and applied the brakes gently.

the road was dry...L.A. weather
Old 08-18-2004, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ABS Lock

Yesterday (August 17) @ about 4:30 p.m. in ther afternoon my ABS on my Scion tC locked up going about 35 mph. The rear of the car fishtailed and my rear right wheel hit and scraped the on the curb.javascript:emoticon('')

My car has 430 miles...I reported the incident to Scion HQ. I told them I no longer wanted the vehicle.

I spoke to someone at the dealer and they said they've heard of 3 other incidents with the ABS locking up. Scion HQ said that mine was the 2nd reported. This sucks...

Old 08-18-2004, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Thanks for posting the details. What are the last 4-5 digits of your vin (if you don't mind sharing, of course)? I'm trying to get the stats going on these incidents in terms of where these vehicles are in production timeline.

I really hope Scion finds what the hell is going on here. When it was just one case I could understand it, but 2 is pretty scary. And it's not the aluminum AC **** - this is the real deal here...
Old 08-18-2004, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member

last 4 VIN 3978
Old 08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ABS Lock

Originally Posted by pfaudi_a4
Yesterday (August 17) @ about 4:30 p.m. in ther afternoon my ABS on my Scion tC locked up going about 35 mph. The rear of the car fishtailed and my rear right wheel hit and scraped the on the curb.javascript:emoticon('')

He edited his post after my post. I know how to read.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang...makes me rethink what im waiting 14 weeks for?....
Old 08-19-2004, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'VE noticed too sometimes when im driving that when i brake, there is a lil jerk like its going to lock up... but i just release the brake and its fine. Is this probably the same problem? :? Not cool.. what i dont need right now is another accident.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

do the tC's have the panic brake feature, like Lexus? You know, when if a pedal is pressed fast enough to indicate a panic stop, the computer automatically floors the brake faster than you can physically press the pedal? There may be a malfunction with this unit. Toyota will take care of you. . . I wouldn't worry about it. If it's one thing Toyota is good at, it is identifying serious problems and addressing them. If it is widespread problem, they will fix it and fix it fast, and make every attempt to keep customers happy. . . at least this has been my experience.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by effortless
i'VE noticed too sometimes when im driving that when i brake, there is a lil jerk like its going to lock up... but i just release the brake and its fine. Is this probably the same problem? :? Not cool.. what i dont need right now is another accident.
jesus christ, thats your ABS RELEASING THE DAMN BRAKES, otherwise your brakes would lock your wheels, thats how it works. If you brake really hard, on bad surface, your brakes will make sounds if something is getting ripped seriously - and thats just ABS releasing them violently for maximum effect (just to warn you).

As to ABS locking in this thread, ABS doesnt lock anything. It would be your brakes locking your wheels because of your braking while cornering, which is never an good thing, actually it is something you absolutly dont do. While ABS will save you in certain occassions, it is not magical wand and it is not VSC (ESP), it will not be able to correct your car in the corner.

I would suppose you might have braked too hard (w/o meaning to), and when you wheels locked up you braked even more and rolled into the corner.

In any case, braking in the corner is a no no....

p.s. in any case, ABS never locks your wheels, it is exact opposite to what it does.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just speaking out of experience, I had one of the newer Jettas a few years back when it first came out ('99 1/2). It was snowing, the ground totally covered in snow, and my ABS decided to shut off, just when I needed it most, I just kept sliding. ANyway, my point is, the ABS light came on in the instrument cluster... does the tC have an ABS light? (Sorry, I didnt get my tC yet, freaken waitin forever... so I cant check it myself)
Old 08-19-2004, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anyone in software with a slight understanding on how ABS works would say that ABS could indeed lock up your brakes. ABS senses lockup then releases AND allows brake pressure.. maybe even applies.. not sure.. But even if they don't apply, it doens't matter, because it sounds like the braking system has a defect eitherway.

There's three instances of people barely touching the brake and having the rear lock up (two by one person who totalled their tC).. I understand you're proud of your vehicles, but don't spout off telling these people they slammed on their brakes when they say they didn't.. I'm convinced there's a problem in their braking system, ABS or not.. something's up. AND, I would encourage every tC owner in this forum to pressure Toyota to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Further.. don't say "this isn't a domestic car company, we can trust them" because Firestone is owned by the Japanese. Toyota (though I'd hope not) is under the same pressures that any corporation is. Only the threat of bad PR will make this a priority.

Power to the people!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scion Evolution

I have heard of this before, via Scion Life. I am getting my tC in about 1 week. Anywho, I will be emailing my Scion rep in about two seconds to find out what is up on the inside. i will be very sure to let all of you know what the word is. Check back later on today and see if I posted a reply...Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I totally agree, ABS can definitely lock up... wanna make it happen? Just pump your brakes... your ABS will get over ridden and youll start hearing that familiar continuous tire screeching sound... be safe, Im not condoning you go mess up your car, brakes, or tires by any means.

Quick Reply: ABS Lock