Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Advice Please (Esp. from recent buyers and dealers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Advice Please (Esp. from recent buyers and dealers)

Hello everyone. I'm a new poster here (long time lurker). I need some advice on whether to wait for an '05 or '06. According to a local dealer, '06s won't be in for two months. If I get an '05, I'll have it by the 15th of this month (and I need a car by the end of June). The steering wheel audio controls really aren't a huge deal to me. Yeah, I thought that was freaking sweet when I first heard about it, but now I'm just kinda like "Yeah... okay... cool." (I can tell that yall are thinking this right now about the post so I'll get to my point).

I've got a few questions and if y'all can answer these for me, I thank you.

1) To those that have gotten their tC's within the past month or so: Do you regret not having waited so that you could get an '06?
2) To any tC dealers here (esp. those in the North Texas area): Was he serious about 06s not arriving for two months or just trying to make a sale? I know that some dealerships are getting them sooner but I also know that different regions get cars at different times.
3) The big one: Should I wait for two months to get the '06 like my mom thinks I should do, or should I just go ahead and get the '05. Like I said, steering wheel audio controls are cool, but not a huge deal to me. Plus, I'd be saving $200.

I had another question but my mind just went blank.

Again, I thank you for any input and also, sorry for clogging the board with yet another '06 tC topic.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered my TC April 28th and got it on May 28th. During that time was when I found out the '06's were starting production so I was kind of upset. But after really thinking about it , it wasnt that big of a deal. They arent going to make IIP anymore, I'm replacing the stock headunit, and I dunno what the possibility of the steering wheel controls working with a new headunit.

The main question for you though is you said that you need one by the end of june. Do you NEED one by that time or just really want one to make things easier for whatever you have going on then? It all really depends on if you can get by without a brand new car for a few more months. I personally wouldnt wait because the new features arent something I would take advantage of.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in arlington and all i was hearing was august/september but i ordered a 2006 anyway. There are a lot of little kinks like the latches and other problems that are fixed in the '06. Resale value is greater too. I signed a non-binding contract with the dealer when i put down the deposit that lets me get out at any time, so try that if you want. It also seems that there's no way that it would take another 2 months after it hits california to arrive here in Texas. My guess is probably the last week of June/first week of July. Any idea from texas dealers?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

1. I got mine in December, and having heard about the new features in the 06, such as iPod connectivity with the stock HU, I did feel a bit envious. However, the features dont really matter that much, I've lived without the steering wheel controls, and I think I can continue to do so.

2. Not a dealer, but I wouldnt be suprised if he was right.

3. If I had the choice, I'd wait the short time it takes for them to get in the 06's, because there are probably other fixes from the 05 models that arent mentioned, and most people had to wait two months or more to even get the 05 tC in the color they wanted. If you really dont care and just need a car, by all means just go for the 05.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It is not only the sound control thats new on 06, if I am not mistaken it also comes with MP3 input which is huge deal I think. I would wait if I were you unless you can get discount on 05 or there is big mark up on 06.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately get the 06... most people should be getting their 06's between the 15th and 21st....
Old 06-05-2005, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just bought my 05 tC within the last 3 weeks, and its fine to me. The additonal features don't make it that appealing to me, unless u want the iPod hookup. Like u said your saving 200$ so thats one reason I rationalize my decision in not waiting for the 06. U need a car now, there is no price haggling so just pick up the 05, i mean my car is still brand new (manufactured in march 2005) and has less than a 1000 miles on it now. So even if its "one year old" thats just the model not your car...i dont see a reason in waiting unless there were major changes done to it, and there isn't
Old 06-05-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my SSM tC in middle of Sept. and it arrived on Oct. 1, 2004. Like many have stated, if you need a car now, by all means order one. You will be on a huge waiting list no matter what year you'll be getting. If you do decide on an '06, get on the list NOW to ensure you get one when they eventually release them! They're going to be hot!

To me, the 06's don't offer much more than the 05's. I don't need steering wheel controls when my right arm can reach the volume controls on the HU with ease. I use my iPod in my tC and it sounds just fine. (Just be sure to get the iCarPlay adapter by Monster. It sounds the best.)

Another question to ask yourself is what color are you looking at? SSM & IIP are being replaced with different colors. (You can see these at Scion.com) I hope this helps. Good luck and post pics when you get your new baby!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

just wait!!!!! No need explaination.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kinda debated this decision in another thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...4862&start=100

Hope it helps.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I really do appreciate it.

Yesterday I went to the dealership to check out the car in person (wooooooooooooooooooow is all I can say. Even more amazing in person. I couldn't stare at it too long out of fear of salivating on the showroom floor.) Anyways, my color choices were either AP or IIP/NB and the dealer told me there was a guy that ordered an IIP, but he wants side airbags on it. The car was due in Tuesday or Wednesday, but couldn't be made with side airbags b/c they were unavailable or something at this time (why this is, I do not know. If someone can enlighten me about this, please do so). If he didn't want it, it'd be mine, all I had to do was put in a deposit, so I did.

Well, approximately at 6 o'clock, I got a call. The baby's mine!!!!!! (Yes, I admit it, I did do a celebratory Snoopy dance.) It's due Wednesday. However, I won't be able to pick it up until Friday or Saturday, hopefully. (I just have to get things situated with the bank). Since I won't be picking it up until the end of the week, I'll probably still call around to other dealerships tomorrow to find out if they will be getting '06s sooner. I mean, yeah, it doesn't really matter that much to me, but I'd still be somewhat perturbed if it turned out that someone else got a shipment of '06s the week after I got my car. The DFW area would then hear the loudest "AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH" in the world.

Again, thanks for the input everyone.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

way to go! another tC in dallas! congratulations! i know you will enjoy it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is a new take why you made a good choice.

all car manufacturers plan obsolescence of their models, meaning they change the body style at intervals according to their own policy to increase the sales of the models.

american manufacturers generally do this more often, with the mind set that they will sell more cars because people don't want to own the "old body style".

german manufacturers do it differently; they generally keep a body style for some time until sales diminish or technology forces the change.

that is just background, so here is the poopie. the tC will not change much in the coming few years. just a tweak here and there. but, if you buy an '06 in the middle of 05, and are planning on keeping it a few years you will have a car that has 6 months additional "year" miles on it when you go to sell it when no one knows when you actually bought it. get it?

so my 05 that i bought in may 05 has 5 mos "free" miles. in jan 06 it is considered a year old (not now but a few years from now on kbb) i drive a lot, so i have saved those miles. to say it differently, if you buy an 06 now, and drive like i do, you are adding the 7 months of miles on your 06 when you owned the car in 05. in jan 07, when kbb considers your car a year old you will have 1 year and 7 mos miles on it. for my driving that is a big hit.

it really only makes a big difference when the model year changes. most people buying used, look at miles in relation to year unless they are buying a new body style. steering wheels, etc., generally do not make a difference, a change in the body diminishes the value as do miles.

so the 05 was the best bet. get it

my car is a year old and only has 2000 miles on it. hehe
Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're going to keep it for less than 3-4 years, definitely wait for an '06 due to depreciation. You'll be able to sell an '06 for more money than an '05 even if you bought it at the same time. my guess is the salesman would tell you anything to get you to buy a car that was on the lot at that very moment. if you *have* to have a car by the end of June then you might want to make SURE that you can get an '06 before passing on this deal, though. think that the first '06s have started showing up, so unless you can get a deal on an '05, I'd say wait.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

Congratulations on your new car!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 06 sounds nice but with just the few features that they have added I wouldn't wait it is not that big a deal...but hey its your car and your decsion...congrats on the new car!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a few things to consider:

1. Your salesman may not be aware of when the 2006 cars are coming and just told you what he thought was right. He is wrong though. I know you're in a different region than me, but I can assure you that the 2006 cars will be here before the end of June.

2. Just because they will be here before the end of June doesn't mean your dealership can promise you'll get one by then. They may have other orders in front of you or they might not be able to get your color that soon.

3. If you're going to own it more than 5 or 6 years, the depreciation doesn't matter. If you're going to own it 3 or 4 years, it will matter and you should wait.

4. Personally, I love steering wheel controls. I have had them on my Tundra for over 2 years and I'm addicted. I don't know how I lived without them.

5. Whatever you decide, be happy with your decision. Don't second guess yourself and don't listen to what others think. You really can't make a bad decision at this point between the '05 and '06.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member

I called around to other dealerships to find out if they were getting '06s this month and they were (it was actually the dealership that I had told my mom to go to instead- ha.) So, I called the one that I was dealing with and they said they had just found out that day that they were getting an alotment of '06s. So, I changed my order to an '06 Azure Pearl tC. Yaay! However, they just told me today that Pioneer is out of single disk players for this region. So, I'll be paying not $200 more (because of the '06 price change), but $405 more because they can only give 6 disc changers. Is this how it is everywhere or is there a way that my dealer can order a single one from another region to prevent me from having to pay even more?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be getting the 06 tc's in about a week. Scion is saying that 6-disk players are gone on the 06 model tc. They will not be produced any more. Go for the 06 because you will probally get it sooner than you expect. Also the resale value on the 06 will be better later on down the road.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1.) No
2.) They are serious, I asked...I've had mine 3 weeks
3.) I decided to go ahead and get one....factory options like that are usually too expensive and you have to decide if it's really worth waiting for little stuff like that. Up to you though!

Quick Reply: Advice Please (Esp. from recent buyers and dealers)