Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: What should I do about my tC?
Keep it, dummy!
52.94%
Trade in for xB.
29.41%
Trade in for Honda Fit.
0%
Trade in for something else.
0%
Stop your whining...
17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Any parents with a tC? xB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any parents with a tC? xB?

I've had my '06 tC for over a year now, and have loved it. But in the middle of its tenure, my wife and I had a kid. My wife has a Ford Escape, which serves well as the family car. When we all occasionally pile into my car though, it's a hassle, but managable.

So the point is...I already feel like I should move on from the coupe being a dad and all. Especially since we're thinking of having another child within a couple years. Anybody else ever get into this predicament? I want to laterally trade (pricewise) in for something with 4 doors and better fuel economy - I'm thinking a new xB or Honda Fit.

What do you think? I thought maybe Scionlifers could talk some sense into me...thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It is really easy to get my grandson in and out of the carseat in the xB. There is also eash access to the stroller in the back of the car as well. I don't have to transport him a lot--but it is an easy deal in the box.............
Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I voted keep it dummy I have two 6 year olds and we have plenty of room in the tC. We also have a Pathfinder so when we need extra space we have it. Didnt you say your wife has an escape? If anything I would trade that in
Best of luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

keep it!!! but if the wife can't handle the tC then get a xB!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

We have a 10 year old son. The tC is fine. The only complaint he has is that he cant see out the back side windows as well as in our other cars (2001 4Runner and 96 saturn). I would keep it. It will be more work while your child is still a baby, but I had a Mustang and then the saturn while ours was still a baby and never had much issue. As a matter of fact, the 4Runner is the first 4 door either of us have ever had. The tC has a lot of room in back.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a tC would be easier for people with older kids..such as engifineer and Reese have.. but when you have a young toddler or a newborn an xB will be a better fit. My daughter is 4 and I think she could climb out of a tC with no problems( if I had one).. but she uses the xB like a jungle gym because there is so much room.. Either way best of luck with your decision and keep it Scion no matter what.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do know that the xB has 3 child seat anchors on the rear seats,and child proof door & window locks? [all std. equip.]
and it is easy for the moms to buzz around town... and fun to drive when she ain't looking.

but then again.... I like the boxe(s)
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a 9 year old and he has no problem getting in and out of the TC.....but years ago when he was a baby I had a Saturn SC.....it was kind of a pain getting him in and out of the car but in my opinion was worth it to be able to drive a sports coupe.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Same here. My other car (now my commuter/rain/winter car) is a 96 SC1. He was about 6 when I got that one, so not too big of a deal. When he was a baby it was a cavalier and a Mustang LX.. those were a bit of a pain with the baby seat, but still worth not driving a 4 door around
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks all for the replies...

My wife and I will be out "window shopping" this weekend to see what to do. It is likely we'll get rid of the tC, sadly enough. With one infant now, and another likely coming within a couple of years, the tC (or any coupe) is not a reasonable car to have in the family in the long-term.

Right now, I'm looking at trading in for one of the following:

- '07 Nissan Versa
- '07 Nissan Sentra
- '07 Honda Fit
- '06 or '07 Scion xB
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

get the xb, I have 3 kids 10, 12, and 13. When we all go somewhere we have enough room and you still get good milage.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have two kids and they seem to fit in the tC just fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I still dont understand why you have to trade in the tC if you wife is driving a Ford Escape?? Seems like more then enough room. I would keep the tC and trade in the Ford if you feel like you need more room. /shrugs
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The honda fit seems a bit strange... a co-worker has one.. all the room of a shoe box, or at least is seems that way.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 4 year old son and I don't have any issues with him riding in my Tc. I'm divorced now, but if I wasn't and my wife had a larger vehicle, I definitely wouldn't bother trading the Tc.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member

trade the other one in! i have 3 and they fit fine.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We got our tC when our son was 7 and have had no problem. It is not often that the tC goes out when we are a family, it is easier to take our xB or our F250.

I would keep it, you are already a year into your loan, the bulk of interest on auto loans are paid in the first half of the loan period. You will have to start that all over again. You mentioned that your wife has an Escape, a good 4 door for toating the little one.

Trading your car in after 1 year of ownership is a very financially painful thing to do... I know from personal experience as I do it about every 18 months or so. Depending on your downpayment and your payment term you may be upside down in your loan. Scion will not take negative equity and pile it onto a new loan. Honda and the American Car dealers will though. I will caution you that when you do this it compounds on you over time, be very careful. Also, should this be the case on your new car be sure to purchase Gap Coverage either with the dealership, bank or your own person insurance company in the event that the car should be totalled at any time during the term of your loan, the car is paid off and you walk away clean. Some even give you money toward your down payment in the event of a catastrophic accident. Also, modifications at trade time do you absolutely no good unless it is a skirt kit, rear spoiler etc... Have been through it a million one times know it in and out.

If you are serious about offing the tC then look an an XB, for the price you can't beat it.

One other thing... it may be worth it for you to wait for the 08 xB from what I have been told. I know a GM of an LA Scion dealer, I have been told that the 08 xB is to be restyled somewhat and is to have the tC motor, yes, the tC motor in it. They are also still going to produce the RS model as well. It may be worth your waiting on an 08 if that is the truth.

Best of luck with what ever you decide
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't understand... are your kids giants?
4 grown adults fit fine on a tC with bags and stuff, why can't 1 or 2 small kids not fit in the tC?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...I have the xB works great for kids! On most cars the trouble you run into is the car seats facing backwards usally make the people in the front seat squished not with the xB there is a ton of room..we looked at a bunch of cars before our second kid and ended up just getting a Seinna use that for most stuff but my son loves the xb!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep It, I have a Tc and 2 kids. A 11 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. This car has more room in the back seat than my 03 Saab 93 whitch was a 4 door. My sons feet use to hit the back part of the front seat and scratch the leather. In the Tc his feet dont touch, and my daughter loves this car much more than the Saab. Kids favorite part of the car is the sun roof.. lol Anyways Keep It!

Quick Reply: Any parents with a tC? xB?