Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Artic Freeze Makes tC A/C Colder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Artic Freeze Makes tC A/C Colder?

Hey guys, I was wondering, I've been seeing this product on the shelf for sometime but im not quite sure what it does.

http://www.autobarn.net/intaf2.html

Does this product make the a/c colder?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

seems like a scam to me....
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

looks like it wants to add another 20+hp or something?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

damn then i am going to buy 2!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's their proprietary "formula" of R-134a. No trickery involved. Come next summer, I'll give it a shot-- my A/C only takes about... as long as it take to get where I'm going to cool down. Works great on the freeway, though. <_<
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm....i've heard about that product, but don't know anything about it. just be carefull NOT to overcharge the a/c system. doing so will create higher pressures leading to failure of a/c components (a/c compressor, a/c hoses, a/c condenser...)

the tC 's refrigerant max amount is 16oz. that can you're asking about is 14oz. if it's undercharged, it still won't be cold.

may also want to consider finding out what's actually in the can and what it's made of. mixing refrigerant types is considered "haradous waste" and a well trained shop with proper equipment can identify what is in your car. if it is contaminated, there will be a higher fee for disposal of the contamiated refrigerant as it can not be used again.

i've worked at an automotive air conditioning repair shop for 6+ years....my a/c works great after i fixed the factory leak (leaking o-rings at the suction hose and discharge hose where it mounts to the compressor, aslo seen on several other tC's)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ would a dealership find that sort of thing if I were to take it in? Seems many here haven't had any success, and are still stuck with sub-par AC performance on hot days.

Don't get me wrong, if its nighttime or just not that hot out, my AC will make me uncomfortably cold (and in fact its pretty rare that I ever use my AC unless its HOT).

But when its really hot, as is typical here in Florida, the AC has a hard time cooling the car down if its been parked outside... even driving around with the windows open still doesn't help that much, or even recirc. It's just too hot.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have used this product on a few cars and it does seem to drop it some as noted by a temp gauge placed in the vents but it was on old systems that were not performing properly.

I would not mess with my TC since it is a new car. If there is something to make the air colder car makers would use it.

I am sure it is just 134a with a tweak to make it different for advertising.

I am Freon certified since I work HVAC for a living so I do have some insight for those with any questions.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to use it back in R12 days. It worked great on old and abused systems, far better than just adding refrigerant alone. why I have no idea. It says because it soaks up extra moisture into an anhydrate it helps, but really I don't know if that's true. But I wouldn't let that thing anywhere near a system in good working order.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IO333 is correct if it is not broken leave it alone there is alot that goes on in a AC system that we just take for granted. We all have learned this the hard way at one time or another
Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Duy
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

I work at Advance Auto Parts and we sell that stuff.. Out of all the R-134 we sell thats the best selling one alot of people bring it back and say that its works amazing , then again i have yet to try it on my tC though im very tempted too cuz of how sucky our A/C systems are when its hawt outside Someone Try it out and post it up , or i just might soon , but now its starting to get cool outside so i dont know if ill need it or not.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe one of the AC techs here can try it out one our cars if we're willing? I'm not one to mess with the AC and possibly screw it up...
Old 09-28-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
^^ would a dealership find that sort of thing if I were to take it in? Seems many here haven't had any success, and are still stuck with sub-par AC performance on hot days.
the dealer may or may not. they may just clean up the small amount of dirt and oil accumulated on the lines, top off your a/c system and claim they repaired your vehicle...no one other then the tech knows whether or not it was done correctly.

remember, Scion's..er Toyota's solution was to discharge the a/c system and recharge with a new amount....taking it from 1.01lbs (about 16oz) and bumping it up about an ounce or so for a new level of about 17-18oz

now i've also seen different locations and same locations of leaking o-rings on various Toyota's including Matrix, Sienna, Tundra, Tacoma.....Lexus....the list goes on. main problems that every car maker has is that 80% of the new cars with R134a systems still use black o-rings, which was fine for R12 systems, but the black o-rings don't hold R134a very well and eventually leak. the proper o-rings would be either green (most universal) and purple (VW, Audi, Ford..) or yellow (Volvo)...but green will work for all systems, makes and models.

ok, enough of me running on....i'm not knocing this product listed in the post, i'm not saying it's good or bad. why? cuz i know nothing about it. but if someone is willing to try...be my guest.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh..i might also add that if your car is still under warranty...go ahead and try this product. if something does lock up or blow, take it back to the dealer...i'm 90% sure they won't identify whats in the a/c system and still fix it as a warranty repair...but you didn't hear that from me
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no thanks i will pass!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those that think our AC systems suck. That really isn't the problem. Its the fact we have all this glass in our car that makes it more hot on those hot days.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disgruntleddutch
For those that think our AC systems suck. That really isn't the problem. Its the fact we have all this glass in our car that makes it more hot on those hot days.
You sure it's the glass, I think it's the black interior. Absorbs the heat. glass has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, if that was the problem, then we'd have cold air coming out the vents anyways. That's not the case - the air never really gets cold on hot days.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My .02, in city driving and traffic the a/c sux *****. but on the highway at 55-70 it is numbingly cold in my tC, my fingers actually go numb, but like i said if im not on the highway, i still SWEAT with the a/c on full blast.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member

a thing to also think about is that your a/c system might be undercharged from the factory. i tested my system yesterday and only pulled out .55 lbs of refrigerant, never messed with my a/c or anything. luckily i was able to charge my car (for free) back to spec. it also dropped my vent temps 2 degrees.

Quick Reply: Artic Freeze Makes tC A/C Colder?