Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   is this bad? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/bad-22199/)

sportmaned 04-09-2005 02:51 PM

is this bad?

Well everyday i have baseball after school, and usually im parked in the way back. I was wondering if this was bad for my car, i start up the car, drive up about 250 yards and park by the baseball field, my car never gets a chance to warm up or anything and i turn it off, is there anything bad about this besides wasting gas?

laydapipe 04-09-2005 03:04 PM

bad i dont know, dont think it will do too much damage. but i normally let it get up to the 1st lil heat bar before ill drive.

KINGxOFxSKA 04-09-2005 03:45 PM

nah its not bad. u shouldnt worry too much.

NISMOZ33 04-09-2005 04:22 PM

as long as you arent driving in the high RPM's like drag racing its fine :)

TheQuietThings 04-09-2005 04:52 PM

as long as you dont gun it while its cold, you should be fine.

jrv2000 04-09-2005 05:07 PM

no it should be fine

grizzly_choppers 04-09-2005 05:11 PM

It's not the BEST thing for the car, but it won't make it stop running either.

The primary problem with doing short hops in any car is that the exhaust doesn't heat up enough to vaporize the small amount of water that gets kicked into the system at startup. You have a stainless exhaust, so it's not a big deal, but older cars (and newer ones without stainless exhaust) can develop rust in the muffler because of this. Eventually it rusts through and you get a hole.

One more tip, let the car idle after start up for just a couple of seconds before you drop it in gear and start putting everything under load. This allows you to build oil pressure when the engine is under the least amount of stress. You won't see any benefit from this now, but if you plan on keeping your Scion for a while it will increase its longevity.

-Alex

LimitedE 04-09-2005 06:42 PM

It does drain your battery down. On start-up all your power is generated from the battery, and it takes alot. On average it takes about 20 minutes of running for the alternator to replace what power you drained form the battery on start-up. So lots of start-ups and not alot of driving will eventually lead to a dead battery.

TurboMe 04-09-2005 07:28 PM

yeah just dont gun it, I gun it before when it was 60 degrees outside because I was late work ONCE and the car just started to jerk hard. Not the tC of course, my beater I had when i was 15. :D

jbae1221 04-10-2005 04:47 AM

ummm in the short run, your car will be fine.. the problem you will run into in the long run will be that your car's exhaust will not heat up enough to burn away the carbon that your car burns... this will eventually build up in the engine and the exhaust and down the road will cause problems with the egr valve and other compnents...