Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Can't shift in to gear ( manual trans)

Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Can't shift in to gear ( manual trans)

Alright guys I'm stumped, about a month ago my tc started shifting rough I assumed I was past due for a gear oil flush got that done and issue smoothed out. All was good up until 2 days ago on my drive home at a light I couldn't get the car into first pumped clutch nothing, turned car off put car in gear clutch in and it started, no jerking no nothing made it home by rev matching clutch just wouldn't disengage to shift. I need some help here

Acid
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I don't have an "end all" answer for you.. but in some of the outside of ScionLife searching I did, it appears it's possible that it may be a known issue with some years of tC w/manual transmissions having similar problems/symptoms you're experiencing. Maybe check with Toyota/Scion if you haven't already.
I haven't had that issue with either of my tC's, but doesn't mean it can't happen even with correct maint. done and no abuse to the parts.
If/when you get to the bottom of it, definitely post... I'm sure it will be good info for others to have.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

master and slave cylinder.

replace them.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had that exact thing happen to me. The only way I could move the car was if I started it in gear. Sucks, I know. The problem I had was part of the retainer that holds the clutch springs in place broke off of my clutch plate and wedged itself between the pressure plate and the clutch disc. My solution was replacing the whole damn clutch with a new one. Put in a heavy duty toyota clutch and haven't had a problem since, and I'm one of those guys that will slam gears. Put the throwout bearing in there too, heard you're not supposed to do that with tC's but I've never had a problem.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So ill be headed to the trans shop Monday and hoping for an under 800 job parts and labor
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
master and slave cylinder.

replace them.
This is where I could start.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your slave cylinder....for any leaks...i would replace it.......and while your at it,do your master cylinder also......
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No visible leaks on slave, bled it pedal feel got better
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having the same issue with the POS that is my 2006 tC.
4 or 5 yrs ago i put in an ACT street/strip clutch kit and a fidanza aluminum flywheel in. It's been running as well as a stock tC could run til like a month or 2 ago when shifting became a royal pita, which is weird since I had just changed out the tranny fluid half a year ago to eneos. Then it started to straight up refuse to get into gear.
I figured after like 7 yrs, some moisture may have built up in the brake fluid, so I bled the slave cylinder. That made absolutely no difference so I changed out the slave cylinder since that seemed like the simplest & most affordable resolution. That also made absolutely no difference.
The strange thing is that through the whole deal, the clutch feel never seemed to change, though idk how reliable my muscle memory is since I do switch between my sc300 and my tC on a daily basis.
Now I'm preparing to drop the tranny to check isht out, but I just dropped back by after like 3 yrs off this forum to do some research, only to find that this is actually a slightly common. Lame.
I'd be fine continuing to dd my sc300 but solid bushings and arms on a daily basis is hard for the back. and every other body part. probably the chassis too. I'll probably post up in a week or 2 when I get around to dropping the tranny if i find anything.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gonna try swapping master and slave cyl later today, called one auto parts yesterday said slave cyl is special order
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer claims tranny swap is needed, due to bad syncros, headed to a tranny shop for second opinion
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go figure, the dealership's diagnosis turns out to be an expensive resolution.
I thought about that for couple seconds since I'm not really nice to my tranny (i heel-toe constantly just b/c it sounds cool), but the probability of all the syncros giving out at once is most likely not substantial.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 AM
SL Member

Hope you get it resolved. My 07s trans definitely doesn't shift as smooth as it used to. I get caught up most when going from 1st ==> 2nd, especially in cold weather. I don't know...did you guys bang gears a lot in the past? I remember when I first got my car I was in High school...and I did lots of quick shifting.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my gears have been getting tricky, to shift into. 1st gets stuck trying to get out of gear.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
my gears have been getting tricky, to shift into. 1st gets stuck trying to get out of gear.
most likely a clutch
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump for solution

Replaced master and slave solved issue
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM

I am just going to add some color to transmission troubleshooting.

Worn synchros will make it hard to shift but is solved by rev-matching (rev engine to match where the revs will be when in gear while the transmission is in neutral with the clutch out). Note that you can actually shift like this without a clutch while the car is moving. You don't need a synchro to shift into 1st when the car is stopped. If you can't shift into 1st when stopped you probably have a clutch problem.

Synchros wear out when people continually force the car into gear. Take it easy or double clutch (rev match). And don't use the transmission for braking, it's cheaper to change brake pads than transmissions.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TigerDude
I am just going to add some color to transmission troubleshooting.

Worn synchros will make it hard to shift but is solved by rev-matching (rev engine to match where the revs will be when in gear while the transmission is in neutral with the clutch out). Note that you can actually shift like this without a clutch while the car is moving. You don't need a synchro to shift into 1st when the car is stopped. If you can't shift into 1st when stopped you probably have a clutch problem.

Synchros wear out when people continually force the car into gear. Take it easy or double clutch (rev match). And don't use the transmission for braking, it's cheaper to change brake pads than transmissions.
since when is downshifting for braking assistance bad for the tranny? please elaborate i have never heard of this in my whole entire life...i drove every manual i have ever owned that way and only had trans. problems once but i knew it was going bad when i bought the car so it came to no surprise when i dropped it slammin third.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Yeah I've never heard of engine braking with down shifting to be bad other then putting more wear on the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

had the same issue early this year.. it was my clutch. i took it to the dealer since i still had warranty but they screwed me and said it was wear and tear and not mechanical so it is not covered. i wanted to fight so it was a big issue i had Toyota investigate with warranty....end of the day they didn't budge and i had to tow my car out of there since they wanted a ******** and a half to fix it. took it to a local mechanic and got a new clutch upgraded from stock and installed for under 1000 don't remember the exact cost but it was pricey.