Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cheap scion drivers seat collapsed, very dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Cheap scion drivers seat collapsed, very dangerous!

So I had like 3 hours between classes and didn't feel like driving home, so I decided to just sleep in my car. I put my passenger and drivers seats down so that I could lay down in my car. I woke up 3 hours later and went into class, when I came out and tried to readjust my drivers side seat so I could drive home, I found that the seat was broken and wouldn't stay up. It would just fall back down with any pressure put on it. I mean the seats in my car were always sort of cheap feeling and the lever on the side to make the seat slide forward has never really worked right. But even still I can't believe the seat just broke. WTF would happen if I were in a crash, the whole seat would probably fly out of the moonroof or some damn thing. Anyway, I've had my car in the dealership shop at LEAST 15 times, I've been wrecked into, I've completely dented and ruined a rim and tire, and a million other various warranty problems. Not to mention I've had a lug break off and now a wheel lock is broken. This car is under a year old and has given me so many problems it's bordering on ridiculous, I'm beginning to think a Kia or Hyundai would have given me less problems. Anyway, I still love her, but if I could sell it and buy something else I probably would.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

how much do u weigh?

just take it in the dealer and let them deal with it. use the warranty
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you've been to the dealership 15 times for warranty work, I'd say you're beating the living hell out of your car.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cheap scion drivers seat collapsed, very dangerous!

Originally Posted by Woodyear
I've been wrecked into, I've completely dented and ruined a rim and tire, and a million other various warranty problems.
Um... those two things are NOT warranty problems. Neither one is the car's fault. It's either you or another driver.

I've had a lug break off and now a wheel lock is broken.
What was occuring when this happened? Were you taking off or putting on a wheel? They don't just randomly decide to break. And if they do... it's a fluke, not a common occurance.

I'm beginning to think a Kia or Hyundai would have given me less problems
If you have that thought at all... you shouldn't have bought a tC.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaydub
If you've been to the dealership 15 times for warranty work, I'd say you're beating the living hell out of your car.
Agreed...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Getting wrecked and denting up rims isnt warranty. You are beating the hell out of the car.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its funny how iv had my car for a year now and have had NONE of your problems
Old 09-30-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problems here.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you fold down both seats to sleep in it in the first place? Incase you roll around? You must have some kind of rediculous short shifter and some hybrid electrontic e-brake. Not to mention chopping off the center console box. LOL. I know im not your parents but you could have found some place on campus to sit and read or something. maybe?. Just my $.05
Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey I can feel your pain about having a car with problems. Although some of them seem your doing. My jetta was a nightmare, and it wasn't even the worst story I heard. If you are going through these problems then get rid of the car. you can also file a Lemon Law Case if your state allows you to do so, and your case fits the terms of the law. Even if you take a loss make yourself happy and buy something you like and feel safe in. I like my tC I think it is a good car... for the money... Is it my dream car... no, but it is a good commuter that handles twisties okay, and has a nice amount of pep, to put most others on the road (who don't want to race) in their place so I don't have to sit behind them in traffic. I don't like the rattles, the poor gas milage, and the cheap tires they put on the car. (i have the OEM yokos). The dealer didn't hear the rattles, Iam still working on fixing them... it is the sunroof now.... and I don't have 500 dollars for tires... oh well,
Old 10-01-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sounds like it is responding normally to the amount of abuse it has had!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I honestly dont think hes beating his car , whos gonna buy a vehicle then beat it to hell when its brand new . Sorry I dont buy that , in all honesty watchin this board and the issues that have been brought up and what has happened with mine alone (and I dont beat my vehicle) I believe some of these issues are true . Sorry but have you seen the underside of some of the interior panels ? One word CHEAP , sorry the whole story about it being a 17 k car is a lame excuse at most . Its a Toyota it should be built like a Toyota , not something that is along the lines of a Kia but has the price tag of a Toyota . Sorry thats just poor buisness and underhanded . Also before everyone chimes in on how I am hating towards Toyota , that is incorrect . I have always liked the Supra and always felt the Camry was a well built vehicle as well as the rest of the vehilces offered by Toyota . Seems like newer production vechiles they have dipped into the "We are to cheap to put quality parts in but HEY lets charge our normal prices anyways" . Sorry just my rant on this one
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem, 1st day of my new car...but i fixed it myself, what I had to do was put the seat down all the way (as if you were sleeping on it again) and make it click, from then, the lever would work for you to put your seat back up and it wouldn't go down again..but that was just my car, i got freaked out when the seat wouldn't lock, but i fixed it
Old 10-01-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with pain. I had that happen when I went to the drive-in, and put the seats down for the first time. I figured it out, and now whenever I need to move the seat, that lever on the top of the seat truely is a "one-finger" control.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gosh darnit I got so mad at my tC I kicked the door and it left a dent. I mean what car dents in when you kick it? I don't even think a kia does that.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not to sure about the "cheap" panels... has anyone taken apart many other vehicles??? I have seen BMW's that are no better. Face it, ALL new cars have cheap feeling parts in them to some extent. But those parts do last longer than the "better" feeling ones in older cars due to better material design. I dont dispute some of the actual claims on here.. but "I ran it into a curb", "someone wrecked into it", etc, are hardly the blame of a cheap car.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
"I ran it into a curb", "someone wrecked into it", etc, are hardly the blame of a cheap car.
Agreed there , that is user error .
Old 10-01-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont listen to any of the people who are accusing you of any wrong doing to your car. They have no clue how you drive and what you had to put up with at the dealership. They are just in denial about the tC being so delicate. My advice to you is hire a lemon lawyer. Scion needs to know just because we saved a few grand on the price tag, it doesnt mean we have to put up with this sh*&t.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there has been a solution provided to his problem withe seats.

all you have to do is to lower the seat all the way back while pulling the reclining handle. once you are there the lever should go down; thats when the seating position is locked.

then we got the lug nut problem, couldnt it be just the way the dealer could have done something wrong that wasnt the toyota manufacturer's fault... i mean he already had the vehicle for one year, he must have already gotten his first oil change or maintenance. people who did the tire rotations probably was stupid enough not to double check the lug nuts - finally causing the wheel lock to break.

or

he took the wheel out once and did not put the wheel back on correctly (tightly), again causing the same thing to happen.

okay, now the moon roof, comon now people, DEAL WITH IT!

get an exhaust or something!,

you cant find another car new for this ongoing price tag on the tC!!
and lastly

i dunno why i have so much free time for writing this.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain_tC
Dont listen to any of the people who are accusing you of any wrong doing to your car. They have no clue how you drive and what you had to put up with at the dealership. They are just in denial about the tC being so delicate. My advice to you is hire a lemon lawyer. Scion needs to know just because we saved a few grand on the price tag, it doesnt mean we have to put up with this sh*&t.
If you read his post its clear that he is hard on the car. Getting hit or hitting curbs are not Toyotas problem. Breaking off wheel studs means you probably overloaded the wheel hitting the curb and damaged it or you over torqued it. Running into things can damage much more than just the 1 part that hit something. If you hit something hard enough to bend a wheel its possible you bent other things in the suspension.

Quick Reply: Cheap scion drivers seat collapsed, very dangerous!