Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

BEWARE!! tC factory rim problem? COULD AFFECT YOU!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default BEWARE!! tC factory rim problem? COULD AFFECT YOU!!

This happened to a friend of mine a month or so ago. He had the car for around a month. I did a search and didn't find anything that looked like this type of thread, so here's a heads up for other tC owners

Well the Scion was a nice car. It is now no longer with us. For those that have not heard I got into an accident Sunday night. About 2 blocks form my house I heard a lound bang, lost control of the car did a 360 into on coming traffic hit the curb and rolled the car twice.

Scion is now sending an ivestigative team out to check to see what happened. I had no serious injuries just a sore shoulder. Car is pretty much total just have to wait for the insurance company to go check it out.

The only thing that saved me from flying out was my seat belt. Entire glass roof is gone, every window blew out, bith of my passenger side rims broke and chuncks of them are still missing.

When I taked to Scion yesterday they told me that they actually had a similar report go to them that a rim was defective.
Scary stuff! sounds like aftermarket wheels should be one of the first upgrades for these cars...
Old 09-08-2004, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats Interesting. So now another possible danger to these cars other then a bad ABS that locks the wheels & makes you crash. Dang they need to get this stuff under control.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

while that sucks and all for your buddy... it sounds kinda fishy. Heard a "loud bang" and started doing 360s? How could the rim be defective? Did it fall off? How fast?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

why is it that people must poop on the tc.. dont come on here and claim that there is a defect when nothing has been proven.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry about your tc. I think maybe Sicon should do a recall and stop selling the car to see what's up with the car. I seen alot of things on here about it.
Take care and get well soon.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

The car did a 360, hit the curb, and rolled twice exploding two rims? and he says this was 2 blocks from his house?!? Uh huh. Super fishy to me. I hate to say I dont believe you, but I dont. This thread deserves a lock.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is very interesting...The person who first came on here and talked aboutt his abs locking and losing control and driving into a tree...he posted pics of the car after the accident and if I remember correctly the pictures showed one of the stock wheels busted...Yup, I just looked at the pics and at least one of the wheels was completely trashed...If I new how to upload pics I would....maybe someone else could.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pfaudi_a4
That is very interesting...The person who first came on here and talked aboutt his abs locking and losing control and driving into a tree...he posted pics of the car after the accident and if I remember correctly the pictures showed one of the stock wheels busted...Yup, I just looked at the pics and at least one of the wheels was completely trashed...If I new how to upload pics I would....maybe someone else could.
Post the link to where the pics are & I will post them up here.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

id be interested in seeing pics
Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://community.webshots.com/user/kemui490

And his front left is definately tore up. But in that case a big collision like that, it very possibly just broke from the collision.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

all i can say is....im thankful for my TRD's :D
Old 09-08-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-08-2004, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u guys canty JUMP to conclusion's,

this kid could of blown out one of his tires from a nail on the road, and flipped it that way, its possible depending on speed, and the reaction from the driver.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are the VIN #'s of some of these cars so that I don't have this problem?! My VIN has a lot of zeros in it assuming it is one of the first 10000. Better to know to relate any other problems to the Number.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasonbegin
u guys canty JUMP to conclusion's,

this kid could of blown out one of his tires from a nail on the road, and flipped it that way, its possible depending on speed, and the reaction from the driver.

I completely agree. Two people got in accidents of the 15k tCs out there so far, and we have only their stories to go on.. Again, not calling them liars, but everything is different when you're the driver.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad your ok. I like to believe the TC is a great car. Its very possible a tire blew out or something of that sort. We will have to hear what the actual verdict is on why you crashed before we can bash the car.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Confirmed Rim Defect- Warning to all TC owners.

I have owned a Scion TC for about one month. Approximately 1 week after buying the car I had difficulty maintaining control on the freeway- no accident/ 55 mph. I checked the tires afterwards and noticed that one had about 8lbs less pressure. It takes almost this amount of difference before the warning light will come on. Toyota tried to tell me that there was no problem with the tire- and the dealer just pumped more air into the tire. Luckily I am **** about details and check my tire pressure very frequently. Since then I have been pumping air into the tire a few times a week. Two independent tire shops have confirmed that there is a rim manufacturing defect on my wheel (stock tc). Something wrong with the welding seam. Toyota Scion gave me the run around at first regarding "oh you must have hit something" but seeing that there is a defect on the inside of the rim behind the spokes, their argument did not stand up.
Please be careful.
Please check your wheels and tires carefully...We don't need people out there crashing because of defective parts on a New car.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

since when did manufactors weld cast wheels? :?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent

And his front left is definately tore up. But in that case a big collision like that, it very possibly just broke from the collision.
wow, that car was involved is some serious crash - it was obvious that the car did NOT roll, or it would have some damage done to the roof, wouldnt it? heh. Or maybe this was some other tc?

It seems he hit something pretty big and wide with his front left side, probably with his tire as well - I am surprised that the rims were not tored up even more.

He should be thankful for tC and its super protective body shell design - Avensis was first car to receive top 5 stars rating in Europe and is still best tested sedan in Europe.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent

wow, that car was involved is some serious crash - it was obvious that the car did NOT roll, or it would have some damage done to the roof, wouldnt it? heh. Or maybe this was some other tc?

It seems he hit something pretty big and wide with his front left side, probably with his tire as well - I am surprised that the rims were not tored up even more.

He should be thankful for tC and its super protective body shell design - Avensis was first car to receive top 5 stars rating in Europe and is still best tested sedan in Europe.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!! tC factory rim problem? COULD AFFECT YOU!!