Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

collision. new car or fix tc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Default collision. new car or fix tc?

I have an 09 tc w/ 35k miles salvaged title.
car was purcashed salvaged at 13k miles, after i owned it for little over a year ive had 4 major accidents..

1)got backed into while backing out - rear bumper dmg
2)got hit in stopNgo traffic and pushed into the front car - rear bumper dmg again and front bumper
3)speeding downhill and slide at a T-intersection while making a right. dmged frame, broken wheel, rotor, and axle. dmg all on the front right axle area
4) driver feel asleep and scraped right side. dmg on most right side + backwheel

all damage was taken care of and fixed after the accidents except for number 4. i cant decide whether i should A) fix my tc and drive on it since its still REALLY young and has low miles, but has so many issues, frame dmg, steering wheel doesnt turn back, front right rotor is warped, breaks are squeeking, airbag light is on, tire pressure light is on. or B) sell my tc AS-IS + insurance money and use that money towards another used car, budget at around 8-12k.
any input is awesome. thanks for helpin
Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dump it, it will make a great parts car for a salvage yard...or a huge headache for you if you keep it!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 AM
SL Member

So the car has been in at least five acidents since it was new. Some of the issues are easy fixes but some are not. I wouldn't count on getting a lot for the car with its history but given all its problems I say it would be better to move on.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 AM

after each accident my car was fixed except for the last accident scraping my right side. car drives fine, of course its not perfect though. even with the dmg, its still my daily driver. basically its been dmged on all sides :/ front back left right.
i love everything about my tc though. i know i should sell it but idk what car i should get next.
thanks for the advice though
Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you need to sell the car and taking a driving safety class.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed, even though they may not all be your fault, you need to learn to look out for others.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Depends what your $ situtaion is and how much all the issues with the car are bothing you. If you are strapped for cash I say keep driving it - it has low miles and should last a long time. If $ is not a big issue and the problems with the car are annoying you daily then sell it and start over?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck trying to sell the car. once someone runs a car fax and finds 5 reports of dmg they wont want to buy it. i would try and hope a dealer would take it in a trade in for another tc
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazyxboy
after each accident my car was fixed except for the last accident scraping my right side. car drives fine, of course its not perfect though. even with the dmg, its still my daily driver. basically its been dmged on all sides :/ front back left right.
i love everything about my tc though. i know i should sell it but idk what car i should get next.
thanks for the advice though
There is no fixing a salvage title. That is a mark that will ride with that VIN until the car goes to the scrap heap. A damaged frame is not an easy fix and even if it is 'fixed' the car will never feel right. The brake issues may or may not be because of the accident but they are also an easy fix. Air bag, that would worry me and I don't see how it would be caused by the last accident unless the air bags deployed. TPMS could be that one of your tires is under/over inflated or it could be that one of the sensors are damaged. Given you said that the back tire is damaged then I would bet the problem is there.

In the end you have to decide if you want to keep going but I still believe it's better to get a new car. The year and mileage of your current car really doesn't matter as much as the fact that it has a savage title and several more accidents. Based on what I can tell you should be able to get an older model tC with a clean title in your price range.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you should just let the insurance company fix it and keep driving it. It will never be the same but with your record you will just destroy any other car you get behind the wheel of. Accident 1 3 and 4 could have been avoided if you pay attention behind the wheel. Sorry don't mean to be harsh but holy crap.

I am surprised your insurance company even keeps you.