Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cubby hole light--won't light up after swap

Old 01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member

Default Cubby hole light--won't light up after swap

I switched out the amber cubby hole light to a #74 led, but it won't light up. The key was on and I tried with the car on. I did the swap from the passenger side, and I had to twist the wires a little to get it out at first...could I have messed up something in doing that? I also tried two different leds but neither lit up. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem after switching to an led. I also searched the forum for similar posts before, but no such luck. Thanks, I'd appreciate any help =)
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Have you put the stock bulb back in? If the stock one lights up, it could be the LEDs are polarized (one lead is positive, other lead is negative) and the LED needs to be turned around. Another possibility is that the leads aren't making good contact. It would suck if the LEDs are bad, but you can try testing the LEDs on a 9V battery.

I got a set of red 74 LEDs, but didn't last too long, so I'm back to stock until I find a better replacement.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member

I noticed the same when I swapped mine. Thing is, it wasnt working BEFORE the swap...

My car has been having some electrical problems tho:

The passenger side window won't go up from the driver's side control every once in a while. It usually gets better in a few days (moisture? i dunno?)

Also the sunroof stops working in sync with the other problem. If i toggle the driver's window and push the sunroof it will open, but its sort of erratic.

So my electronics are messed, the nearest dealer messed up my car twice, and I need to do the recall, so I'm driving to another dealer to get this fixed my next day off.

I'll post what I find out from the dealer about the light....

(P.S. the only other electrical mods I've done are the sound system: head unit, 1200W amp, 2 subs, I had to drill thru the firewall to get the power wire to the b8try tho....)

EDIT: One of the techs I worked with at a Dodge Dealer was dumbfounded by the problems and the two of us pretty much fixed everything else wrong with my car and my ex's integra. But i know sh** about electronics soooo....
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I used to have an electrical problem on my maxima when i started installing a ton of electrical stuff. I took it to a local company in Calvert County and they fix it with no problem. If you want their number I will PM it to you and maybe they can help you out.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you put a resistor in there? If you didn't you might of blown the new LED. Try the stock light again, if it works then it's the LED. Goto Radioshack and get a resistor, couldn't tell ya what size, and put that SOB in along with a new LED.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

I tried the stock bulb after the LED wouldn't light up and it doesn't work either. The light was fine til I messed with it!! I also tried inserting the LED both ways thinking it may have been polarized.