2005-2010 [ANT10]

Found Out The Hard Way-They tried to steal our tC

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Team ScionEyed
SL Member

While getting the Viper alarm installed, i found out that the auto-start wouldn't turn the car over unless the key was in the ignition. So how doesn't the immobilizer werk?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ssdm7683
While getting the Viper alarm installed, i found out that the auto-start wouldn't turn the car over unless the key was in the ignition. So how doesn't the immobilizer werk?
in order to install an auto-start in your car, wouldnt you have to get a key and place it next to the immobilizer or something???? cant a thief just find the key and use it???? this is just a guess, i woudnt be suprised if i was wrong.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good question 808tC. The answer is yes: You do have a key in a remote start system under the dash. That being said, they'd have to find the box, unscrew the 4 screws, and remove the key and start the car. I'd imagine the fastest they could do this (including finding it and removing the proper stuff) is about 2 minutes.

I would definately recommend investing in a mini piezo sensor too, if you feel no one will care if your alarm is going off. It emites a siren in the interior that is meant specifically for dealing pain .

Either that, or purchase a 2 way paging alarm. Mine will page me up to a quarter mile away if someone is messing with my car.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Found Out The Hard Way - They tried to steal our TC

Originally Posted by 808tC
Originally Posted by ScionDad
Well, I can honestly say....no one pays attention to car alarms. AT ALL (pics tonight...i hope)

Full movie theater parking lot thursday night, Parked in front by ticket booth around 9 pm...they tried to steal the TC. Couldn't get it started by punching the ignition (duh), so they decided to just take the head unit. Mind you, all this while the alarm is going off by them poping the passenger window after trying a slim jim, then a screw driver on the door handle, then screw driver in B pillar and glass, that worked.

Well, they did eventually get the head unit, but not the face of it hidden under seat or the brains attached under passenger seat. Useless...completely useless to them. Because I bolted the head unit in different using torx head screws, they tore the dash up getting it out and broke the windshield from the inside. Not sure why. One witness says one of the guys inside punched it....

2 girls watched them do it....no one called police.

So, parts and labor from damage...$4000

They touched nothing in the rear subs and amps, none of the headrest monitors, nothing in the console (Ipod, old cell phone). Punched ignition then Head Unit.

But, I view this as an opportunity Since they tore up the seats sitting on the glass, parts and my labor gets leather from Katzkin. Instead of the AVIC-N2---we get the AVIC-D1 for less and much better fit. My brother deals with the insurance company (he owns a body shop), damage to the door gets graphics.

The savings of labor....gets rid of the useless Scion alarm. NO ONE LISTENS to it. Without a page alarm, proximity options with voice warning...they are USELESS.

Compustar alarm with Proximity alarm with voice alert and a page will alert you someone is within the specified distance to your car (you set - 1 foot, 2 feet, etc). It will page you up to 1.25 miles of your car that this alarm triggered. Who ever triggers the proximity will get a verbal warning "Step away from vehicle, cameras are recording and a warning page has been sent to owner" Yup, we are installing 4 micro cams in the vehicle attached to a hard drive tied to the alarm trigger facing front, rear, and both sides.

If they steal the car - maybe finding it with "our" black box will help. If I get a repeat of this, maybe the voice warning of the recording and alart page will make them move on. Even getting a revenge key down the side of the car would be risky to them as now they are recorded.
Windows broken, whatever, you will be paged with an update.

that sucks man....its scary that now car theives are going after our cars.......its one of the first instances that this happened.......gee, i didnt think that the immobilizer would work.....there was this one instance where a thief was able to disable the immobilizer system on a HONDA and drove it away..... its comforting to know that ours actually works....but stilll,, nothing can beat a tow car...
Wanna know something funny? There's some generation of civics where they keys were all the exact same in the sense you could go to a dealership, say you lost your key, order a new one, and bam, you have a working chip key.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn..sorry to hear that happened to u sciondad..ur seem like a pretty nice guy seeing as how ur very helpful on the forums and stuff and i havent heard any bad thing bout u yet..sucks that bad things happen to good ppl
Old 06-13-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really sorry to hear they messed up your car buddy, dang bastads

We are installing a Python paging alarm right now.

What I would really like to be able to do is walk out and shove the barrel my G29 10mm with 800ft lbs of muzzle energy up their nose and watch them crap themselves. Problem is scum like that are not worth getting into trouble over.

Rick
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about the key being under the dash....take this advice, cut the metal blade off of the key with a dremel...that way, the key will work with the remote start and if they search for the key under the dash, once they open the box, all they will have is the grey end of the key....
Old 06-13-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car thieves probably watch forums...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
about the key being under the dash....take this advice, cut the metal blade off of the key with a dremel...that way, the key will work with the remote start and if they search for the key under the dash, once they open the box, all they will have is the grey end of the key....
good idea....but with or without the key......they still can disengage the immobilizer
Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

On another note. Don't you think a proximity alarm is a bit, excessive? (or it could be that I really don't care about my car at all..and I don't really). Oh, and is that one of those aftermarket alarms that go "we-o-we-o-we-o-ant ant ant" something? Those are more annoying (don't flame me, I'm just saying)

The only alarm I was ever interested in is the Viper X...something, that lets me control my car from by Satellite (but it probably makes that annoying noise mentioned above) and I kinda live in a Canadian like neighborhood (you know, they can leave everything unlocked and couldn't care)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Flint16
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

On another note. Dont you think a proximity alarm is a bit, excessive?(or it could be that I really dont care about my car at all..and I dont really). Oh, and is that one of those aftermarket alarms that go "we-o-we-o-we-o-ant ant ant" something? those are more annoying(dont flame me, I'm just saying...)

The only alarm I was ever interested in is the Viper X...something, that lets me control my car from by sattilite(but it probably makes that annoying noise mentioned above) and I kinda live in a canadian like neighborhood(you know, they can leave everything unlocked and couldnt care)
Proximity alarm lets you know if someone is within a certain distance of your car. With the voice option, it actually talks to them and tells them...whatever you want it to say.

IMO, warning them that you have been paged and you are now aware that they have gotten too close to your car would make the normal person step away and a thief to leave. Letting them know the camers are recording them keeps them from being ignorant as they step away. Other than that...nothing really can be done.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 808tC
good idea....but with or without the key......they still can disengage the immobilizer
From what I was told, the engine immobilizer is tied directly into the ECU, with a collapsable circuit. if the eng immob is disabled, so is the ecu.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not have time to study the wiring diagrams in depth, probably not learn much more than I just did due to they will not release teh ECU schematics but there is an imobolizer ECU and the outputs feed into the main ECU as EFI1 and EFI0. These are probably coded fuel injection system signals or similar to kill the fuel supply which could include injectors and fuel pump as well as whatever else they decided to tie it to. Seems quite secure as long as teh security code is not cracked

You could install a hidden switch on any one of several lines that would kill the system as well for even more backup.

Rick
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's easier and cheaper to just leave the doors unlocked.

People on meth will do anything to steal your crap, why make it hard for them.. you have insurance for a reason.

No I don't advise leaving the car unlocked, but when crap like that happens it makes you wonder why you bother to deter them doesn't it.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am more concerned with the car being stolen or destroyed than any bolt on parts they could steal. Once done we will have hundreds of unrecoverable hours of our time invested into the car, far more valuable to us than parts that are insured anyway;)

Rick
Old 06-14-2005, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, ScionDad I cant believe this would happen to you, I can't believe what's wrong with people these days.

But I would be interested in ur ScionDad alarm security ^_^

I am also in the market for an alarm system soon, so if you have any pointers it would be great!

i hope everything gets worked out for you and your tC.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 06-14-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hidden kill switches are the way to go.
on my 240sx I have one for the fuel pump and clutch pedal sensor. plus my trunk mounted battery has a cut-off switch on the positive cable. i doubt a theif will have the patience or time to get around them. of course i have the prerequisite alarm, autolock, and detachable steering wheel.

of course this means nothing for a thief rolling with a flatbed
Old 06-14-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know if this was answered yet, but was your Stereo Drop Down Door Up or Down, i just wondered if they knew whether anything was valuable before they even got inside the car...

i'm pretty paranoid since i got my stereo stolen at a movie theater once, especially since its the same one i've worked at for the past SIX YEARS!!! my car is there 5 days a week, now i'm gonna be watching the security cameras all the time instead of working
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Man that really sucks. I can't believe there were witnesses and nobody did anything, nor can I believe the theives were bold enough to hit in a crowded movie parking lot with the ticket booth right there.

At least some cool mods will come from this, if there's a silver lining. Still a terrible thing, I'm sorry it had to happen to you.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang sorry to hear what happened. Yea I totally agree with you on the Scion alarm.
That's why I told them to take it off.. $495 was a rip off and useless.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Found Out The Hard Way-They tried to steal our tC