Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/has-anyone-elses-engine-blown-up-107797/)

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 03:05 AM

Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up?

So I've been having issues with my car lately, which started with blowing a lot of white smoke, to burning oil badly, to now a check engine light and a blown engine. so I want to find out how many others have had there engines blow up on them so we can all put in claims to Corporate to get something done to help out with this issue. not only have I had my motor blow up but a close friend from my club has had the same problems, and we are being pushed around pretty badly, so we figure if we can get everyone who has had this issue to chime in and leave a claim we can help make this a lot easier on everyone to get fixed. and who knows, the people who have already gone through this may get some incentive from Corporate also.

So far... 2 blown motors for no apparent reason.

To file a claim PM me and I'll give u the numbers and contacts to get a hold of.

____

snarcher 07-11-2007 03:10 AM

are you a "Street Racer" by any chance?

tC4italy 07-11-2007 03:12 AM

did yr car make a particularly loud clicking/ticking noise from the engine bay?

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 03:14 AM

no i am not a "street racer"

and yes it was making a ticking noise for a while but i dont think that was something that had lead to this.

sciontC 07-11-2007 03:29 AM

Re: Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up?

Originally Posted by hotwheelsrs1
So ive been having issues with my car lately, which started with blowing alot of white smoke, to burning oil badly, to now a check engine light and a blown engine.

Did all this happen at once then BOOM randomly? If not it sounds like you had warning signs before it happened and maybe should have been taken somewhere to be looked at?

____

SquallLHeart 07-11-2007 03:34 AM

engines don't blow up for no apparent reason...

how many miles do you have on the car?

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 03:49 AM

Dude I only have 36,000 miles, and that's half my problem is that i brought the car in a month ago because i was blowing white smoke and my Supercharger had started getting very noisy.

So they said my Supercharger bearings were bad so I replaced the supercharger and they said i was crazy about seeing white smoke even though i had 5 witnesses, so they did nothing about it.

1.5 weeks ago i brought it back in because i had been out driving and my oil light came on so i went home and checked it and it was 2.5 quarts low, so i filled it back up and brought it back in the next morning.

The next morning they said it was down another full quart already after only a 1 mile trip to the dealership in the morning, so they said they need to do an oil change to document the issue and bring it back the next morning.

The next morning i brought it back after about 10 miles of driving and wouldn't u know oil level was fine, so I asked them what they were going to do since my motor has obviously had its life span shortened by being driven with so little oil, so they told me it would be fine (total bs) so they said well just drive around for about 1000 miles
and bring it back. So this last weekend I went to Santa Cruz and that's when the check engine light came on, so i pulled over and checked everything and it was fine. but when i got home from my trip i still had a CEL, but no oil light, so i checked everything, and it had "0" oil even touching the dipstick, so I brought it in the next morning (today)

So this afternoon they tell me that my motor is fried and that my CEL is for a bad cat and that i need 3 oil receipts so they can order my new engine.

That is the full story of what happened, NO I was not "racing" my car or doing anything of that matter.

___

itC 07-11-2007 04:06 AM

sounds like you should have hassled them a bit more to have the problem solved in the first place. good thing you was able to even make it to the dealership :]

Whocares05050 07-11-2007 04:06 AM

Something isnt adding up...

and the story behind your friends tC that blew?

sciontC 07-11-2007 04:09 AM

Wow, that really sucks then since you did bring it in all those times. Hope it all works out for ya.

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 04:09 AM

His car blew because it had sat for a while and the top half of the motor went dry, which is a little more believable as a reason why this could happen, but it still should not have completely seized up the entire engine

___

Whocares05050 07-11-2007 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by hotwheelsrs1
his car blew because it had sat for a while and the top half of the motor went dry, which is a little more believable as a reason why this could happen, but it still should not have completely seezed up the entire engine

:pray:

Oh man, please tell me it was sitting for over a year. :rofl:

Im not buying it, sorry

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 04:20 AM

what do u mean your "not buying it" what the heck is there to buy? the motors are blown

Whocares05050 07-11-2007 04:25 AM

How long did his car sit? Did it just lock up? DETAILS

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 04:30 AM

i honestly dont know exactly how long it had sat for

SSQ 07-11-2007 04:30 AM

There's a lot of people here who's got pretty much the same thing as you with the supercharger. Hopefully you have kept all the records of services and the dealer don't try to blame it on your driving or your other mods.

Good luck.

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 04:40 AM

well the sc'er was no biggy they replaced it a month ago, but now its actually my motor thats burned up

SSQ 07-11-2007 04:47 AM

Yeah, there are quite a few cases with the supercharger where it caused the engine to run without oil, causing the engine to fry.

There was one long thread about this a long long time ago. It went on for like 20 pages. The poor guy ended up having to shell out for a new engine.

My suggestion to you is, gather up all records, get rid of as much aftermarket part as you can before the toyota inspection guy comes. It's going to be a tough one. Toyota has been pretty ugly about this.

hotwheelsrs1 07-11-2007 04:52 AM

hopefully they will be lite on me since i work there lol :pray: well all i have on it, engine wise is my crank and alternator pullies and my downpipe and catback, so i "should" be ok according to the guys at work.

SquallLHeart 07-11-2007 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SSQ
Yeah, there are quite a few cases with the supercharger where it caused the engine to run without oil, causing the engine to fry.

There was one long thread about this a long long time ago. It went on for like 20 pages. The poor guy ended up having to shell out for a new engine.

My suggestion to you is, gather up all records, get rid of as much aftermarket part as you can before the toyota inspection guy comes. It's going to be a tough one. Toyota has been pretty ugly about this.

yeah.. mike bond... dublin toyota screwed him over.
but now thanks to the great Dave Gille of Stevens Creek Scion.. the car's RUNNING again!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158062

but yeah.. see? you have something afterall that warrants the engine getting blown.. the S/C..

i have well over 37K miles driven hard and no issues whatsoever.. or anything remotely close to having my engine blown up.