Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 AM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think that's the one. I actually was saving up for the supercharger too. Decided against it after reading that thread and blew the money I have saved on something much more.... useless.

Other than the supercharger, our engine is very reliable if left alone.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crank Pulley You say?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure you remove that one before anybody sees ... Although I doubt it was the cause of your problem (since you seemed to have oil problems) I've heard of the crank pulley being the leading cause of connecting rods breaking, or bending (either case, the end result is a broken motor).
Old 07-11-2007, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not an underdrive, just a lite, but yeah i know.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, after going to look for the aftermath pictures I'm starting to think maybe the Pulley had something to do with your problem.

... Here's what I can tell you for sure: your oil pump is chain driven. Chains do not like shock loads. Removing the damper increases the shock loading on both the oil pump chain and the cam chain. One (or both) will break prematurely. If they were belt driven, it would be no issue, but they are not belt driven, so they will likely be the first casualties from removing the damper.
From a thread on Your Scion tC talking about the ZPI Lightweight Crank Pully, click here to go straight to the post. Might not hurt to read the thread, although it is long. There is a summarized version of it here

I don't know what facilities you have, or want to take to investigate the cause on your own, but it might not be a bad idea to check the oil pump. If you had broken, or damaged your chain and your oil pump wasn't working, its possible the large volume of oil in the pan could have caused a lot of pressure, which would force oil into the intake path (burning oil, causing white smoke, and less oil in the pan), so another thing to look at is if your throttle body and/or air filter has oil in it.

Its all only my speculation though
Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its to bad Lance doesn't still live here in Sacramento, I'm sure he'd love to get his hands on your engine to try to pin down the problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zing! I can't wait to hear more about people with crank pullies biting the dust. Not for the sake of shoving it in their faces but for the sake of warning others.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

did you have the s/c reflashed or have engine management after install?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm willing to bet that your CEL came on was indeed b/c of the cat. If your car started pumping out oil into the combustion chamber, its going to burn, it probably either destroyed the cat to begin with. Or since there was A LOT of oil being put back into the car, a lot of that oil ended up going through the cat and the second o2 sensor started tripping out b/c of all the pollutants that the then useless cat was letting pass. I think, until you have proof other wise, that Indemnity is def. on to something. The chain to the oil pump could have broken and then it was only a matter of time before you got f'ed over from an engine with starved oil. Now my question is...did the motor seize that night and then you took it to the dealership the next day, or was it running and then you put oil in it to get it to the dealership the next day. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "fried" b/c the guy with his s/c issue that i'm thinking of his just blew...pistons didn't seize but the bearing and crank where f'ed up.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you woulda had a minor modification such as a header... id say you might be ok, buw with a aftermarket crank pulley, if toyota corp see's it when they inspect your car, you better believe you will be buying your new engine yourself
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the crank pulley...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

oh but no... they NEVER cause issues according to the leading 18 year old tuners around!!! Everything relating to them that fails is cause of poor manufacturing.. dont you all know that?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

..and if this is proven 100% to be the fault of the crank pulley, it will prevent 0% of 18yo tuners from installing one in the future.

For as we know, history enjoys nothing more than repeating itself.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

eng and iso... i feel the same. i got in the battles of how bad all of the non-OEM crank pulleys are. but its a never ending battle, so i dont even bother anymore.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The problem is that it will be nearly impossible to PROVE that it was caused by the pulley, even though failure symptoms related to them fit the bill. But, the oil pump chain COULD just break on its own.

So again, the warranty on the pulley means nothing and the kids will still argue it wasnt the pulley... But, hey.. its thier wallet I guess
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two words as far as Toyota needing 'proof' to deny warranty replacement.

Reasonable Doubt.

There is reasonable doubt that the chain failed on its own, especially if Toyota has some numbers to back this up.

You probably shouldn't go mucking about in the engine at all until a Toyota rep gets a chance to try to puzzle out what went wrong (besides replacing the pulley).

Don't be surprised if you have to answer some tough questions about the pulley either, I have no doubt they'll look very closely at the nut that holds it on, and you'll have lots of trouble hiding that you swapped it recently.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by SSQ
Yeah, there are quite a few cases with the supercharger where it caused the engine to run without oil, causing the engine to fry.

There was one long thread about this a long long time ago. It went on for like 20 pages. The poor guy ended up having to shell out for a new engine.

My suggestion to you is, gather up all records, get rid of as much aftermarket part as you can before the toyota inspection guy comes. It's going to be a tough one. Toyota has been pretty ugly about this.
yeah.. mike bond... dublin toyota screwed him over.
but now thanks to the great Dave Gille of Stevens Creek Scion.. the car's RUNNING again!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158062

but yeah.. see? you have something afterall that warrants the engine getting blown.. the S/C..

i have well over 37K miles driven hard and no issues whatsoever.. or anything remotely close to having my engine blown up.
ya thats me! lol my motor had a crank bearing failure (cyl #1) and it snapped a rod and poked 2 holes in my block. They said it was due to lack of oil, yet the S/C still had oil in it (and the S/C is at the highest point of the motor)

I will still strive on to fight as much as I can, but I am just happy my baby is running again.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^does it seem like your fight is getting you anywhere yet?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by SSQ
Yeah, there are quite a few cases with the supercharger where it caused the engine to run without oil, causing the engine to fry.

There was one long thread about this a long long time ago. It went on for like 20 pages. The poor guy ended up having to shell out for a new engine.

My suggestion to you is, gather up all records, get rid of as much aftermarket part as you can before the toyota inspection guy comes. It's going to be a tough one. Toyota has been pretty ugly about this.
yeah.. mike bond... dublin toyota screwed him over.
but now thanks to the great Dave Gille of Stevens Creek Scion.. the car's RUNNING again!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158062

but yeah.. see? you have something afterall that warrants the engine getting blown.. the S/C..

i have well over 37K miles driven hard and no issues whatsoever.. or anything remotely close to having my engine blown up.
ya thats me! lol my motor had a crank bearing failure (cyl #1) and it snapped a rod and poked 2 holes in my block. They said it was due to lack of oil, yet the S/C still had oil in it (and the S/C is at the highest point of the motor)

I will still strive on to fight as much as I can, but I am just happy my baby is running again.
so wait what's the reason? no oil but there was oil???

Quick Reply: Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up?