Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Has Anyone else's Engine Blown Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't read the whole thread and I'm on percocet so forgive me but here is my .02 cents and hopefully some help to you.

IMO Toyota makes some amazing engines that can be driven to hell and back. There is a small chance that maybe you and your friend drive them normal and something happened beyond your control. Lets hope that's it and you get hooked up.

More than likely however the problems you're describing sounds a lot like mis use and more over a lot of miss shifts. I know because I learned my lesson on all that long ago on my first manual xmsn and I"m also a mechanic so I know what things like engine over speed can do. The white smoke is from anti freeze most likely caused by a cracked engine block due to over heating.

Your friends car messing up because it "sat" is a crock unless he's using engine oil that maybe had what 20k miles on it? On our last deployment from Iraq everyone who let their car sit for over a year started right up with absolutely no problems. These cars sat through -40F at the worst to -20F average that lasted about 5 months and summers that are very humid and get up to 90 sometimes 100.

It sounds to me like sometimes damaged your engine block which caused coolant loss and then led to overheating and burning up your oil which just compounds the problem.

I hope everything worked out for ya man if it was a manufactures fault you deserve a lot of service on their behalf and some apologies if they just brushed you aside.

Good luck and stuff man.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn mine hasnt dont that but that sucks! Hopfully everything works out for you...good luck man
Old 09-29-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I also too my motor blow up. I was headed home on a tuesday and i heard a slight ticking and then boom. Smoke behind me and my dash lit up like a christmas tree. Now i have had the car since 2 miles on the odo and almost 3 years now and everything has done at my local dealership. And i thought with 42500 my motor in no way should have dropped a connecting rod through the oil pan. Luckily i had the oil changed about 3 weeks before this happened and everything will be covered under warrenty but i was worried that toyota was going to give me a hard time with it. I do have the car lowered with hotchkis springs and they did mention that they would have to "investigate" the problem to see if it was my doing which made the motor blow. But i am gettting a new motor so i guess im lucky.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i check my oil every sunday when i wake up at 8:30am .. i also check almost everything that I could inspect in about 1 hr and start washing my baby. hey, its my only day off from school and work. gotta treat her right..

ps: earlier today i inspected it and she didnt need anything but a nice clean wash
Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Banned

Old 06-30-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Can I get the Claims Number?

Originally Posted by hotwheelsrs1
So I've been having issues with my car lately, which started with blowing a lot of white smoke, to burning oil badly, to now a check engine light and a blown engine. so I want to find out how many others have had there engines blow up on them so we can all put in claims to Corporate to get something done to help out with this issue. not only have i had my motor blow up but a close friend from my club has had the same problems, and we are being pushed around pretty badly, so we figure if we can get everyone who has had this issue to chime in and leave a claim we can help make this a lot easier on everyone to get fixed. and who knows, the people who have already gone through this may get some incentive from Corporate also.

So far... 2 blown motors for no apparent reason.

To file a claim PM me and I'll give u the numbers and contacts to get a hold of.
My 2005 Scion tC motor caught fire while on the highway I nearly died: does that qualify as a blown motor? It was a complete loss. I think a rod must of broke loose and blew threw the head, or a gasket exploded, seconds before it happened the engine compartment made a sound like a tin can rattling; then there was a loud bang, a spark under the hood, and the whole engine engulfed into flames. I barely had time to react: I slammed on my brakes, skidded to the shoulder, turned my car off and got out just as the front tires blew up and with the sudden burst of air the fire just consumed my car. No white smoke prior to explosion, and I just had passed smog and got certified, oil and filter change 8 days before, and topped off the coolant a week prior. I had an alignment done which cost $999.40 because Firestone replaced driver side ball joint, and recommended I get new tires for $400 dollars, and days before smog passage I cleared a check engine light by buying a air conditioning sensor and replaced it out and light went off.

*************************************Can I please get the Claim Number your were talking about********************************************

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you're ok. That must have been a harrowing experience.

Your car warranty has probably expired. The quote you pasted was from 2007.

Check with your insurance company to see if your policy includes collision and or comprehensive coverage. Explain what happened and they'll advise whether your car is covered. Even if you're covered, the payout may not fully replace your loss. Good luck.