2005-2010 [ANT10]

I NEED SOME ADVICE REGARDING TRADING DOWN MY TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I NEED SOME ADVICE REGARDING TRADING DOWN MY TC

I just got the Scion TC 2006 back in Nov 2007. My payments are $400 monthly and its starting to take a toll on me. Im in school full time and work part time. I can maintain the payments and everything, but i need to start saving some money for my school. I was considering trading it in. I just got my loan under 16k.

Im confused deeply. My thoughts about trading my tc in for a 2008 XB was strong a few weeks ago. Now im having mixed feelings. Maybe my love for the tc has decreased alot. Basically, if I traded in my Tc for the 2008 XB, would that lower my payments? If I trade down for the tc, would that lower my payments? I just need some guidence.

I really am looking to trade my tc in for the xb....but if my payments stay the same, i rather trade my tc for a cheaper car.

P.S

I know i made the wrong decision by putting my self in this situation while im attending school full time and work part time. You live and you learn. Can anybody suggest anything?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly, i don't really like the new boxes, so if i was you, i would just stick with the tC

(btw, I work more than 40 hours a week AND I'm a full time student, it's hard, i'm not going to lie to you, but you gotta do what you gotta do )
Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a new xb will be about 17ish

Unless you have spectacular credit or a decent downpayent you will be in the same boat with about $400 payments
Might get it down to the 350 range but thats not much of a differance
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really if you wanted a low monthly payment, you might have to switch to like Toyota corolla or even switch to a Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about the problem man. I would say take it to scion and have them rerun your credit and check what your new payments would be on a new xb. But I don't really know about financing and credit and stuff but I'm sure the guys at scion would.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Your payments will only increase if you get a new xB.

If you want to get out then you should find someone to take over your payment and get a used car.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlizZard
honestly, i don't really like the new boxes, so if i was you, i would just stick with the tC

(btw, I work more than 40 hours a week AND I'm a full time student, it's hard, i'm not going to lie to you, but you gotta do what you gotta do )
x2. just stick with the tC imo

i work about 50-60 hrs. a week and go to school full time as well. it is a b**** but i love my tC
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

yup, another full time worker and schooler here.
glad to see im not the only one.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weekend job my friend
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

you are upside down in your tC, i doubt you will get 16 for it and the new xB will be the same a month if not more. i would recomend getting a "none" scion due to the fact that the price cant go down, and they have to give you ACV on your trade, they cant over allow for trade in on a scion. but if you go for a new toyota you could bug 16 out of them for a trade and maybe a little off the car, perhaps a new corolla or a camery...

good luck tho
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would just stick it out man, stay wih the tc and once your done you will be rewarded greatly with the effort of the car in which you wanted to begin with...I know i wouldnt give my tc up in that situation i would just work more hard
Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, your payments will + if you go the xB route.

i would suggest working full time +

find a job with night shifts. i worked 10PM - 6AM. it won't interfere with college. but it is a major sacrifice, as you won't have a life outside of college classes/homework, work, and sleep. you will get ahead $$ wise though.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I NEED SOME ADVICE REGARDING TRADING DOWN MY TC

Originally Posted by NeverBePeace
You live and you learn.
Absolutely! No shame in that, especially since you're taking action to resolve the situation. Sorry to say it really sounds like a used car might be the best route for you at the moment. As others have said, a new xB wouldn't be much less, if any. You might get a base-model Yaris if you have to have something new, but that still won't save you near as much as a lot of decent used cars would. Find something that's 4 years old or so, such that the mileage isn't too high, yet it's very depreciated in price. The low cost will not only keep your payments low, but should also save you additional money on insurance. Maybe something like a Corolla, since they're also dependable and you don't want to spend money on repairs or high maintenance.

Don't worry about those who are saying they're in your situation and they can handle the payments. While that can be a positive attitude ("hey, if they can do it, so can I!"), everyone is different, they're not you, and only you can determine what's best for you.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another option you may consider is refinance the car. It may be a bit harder, but if you can get about a grand together you can refinance and get your payments down a bit more. It will also lower your interest rates if you have payed on time too.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Perhaps a good decision financially would be to go with a cheaper car........say a Yaris........reliable.......cheap on gas..........holds value........and would make life easier..........

Or you could do like I do and say screw sleeping as there is plenty of time for it when I am dead.........and work fulltime and goto school full time.........and hopefully you have no children yet or a wife to take care of as well.........
Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

or look for someone who will take over payments of ur current tc, then find a used tc?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't see how your payment would or could go down unless you refi for longer term. As some have mentioned, maybe you can find someone to take over and buy the box.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would advise you to get a used car.

I have an '07 tC, and while I can easily pay the monthly payments, there are other bills and expenses to pay for too... makes me wish I never got a new car in the first place.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to trade in my cars all the time, trying to lower my payments, and all it did was bury me deeper and deeper into the next car.

TRUST me you don't want to try and trade "down" - regardless of the dealer, they are going to have to roll your negative equity from your tC into whatever you get next...

Try and stick it out until you can get some equity built up in the car, or if you have to get out of it, don't go for a new car - try a used car, there's more room to "play" with as far as your negative equity in the tC.

Either way, good luck. It's a tough spot to be in, and it took me a long time to break that habit...