Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Just bought a '06 Scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Default Just bought a '06 Scion tC

Hey guys, new here, but had some questions.

I bought a 2006 Scion tC from a local dealership yesterday. Has 89k miles and seems to run well. Carfax had 1 previous owner that appears to have kept up on regular maintenance.

I picked up the car to be used mainly as a daily commuter (no more than 30 or so miles a day) and figured this would fit the bill as I was able to talk them down to $5000 from their $6000 asking price (noted a couple dimples from hail and a busted turn signal on the driver side mirror).

Other than that, car was clean, drove smoothly and feels good overall.

However, I was not aware of the oil consumption issue I'm now seeing mentioned in a lot of places. I did some initial research, but seemed to miss these reports....

How screwed am I? I don't know if it has the issue, since I'm going to have to drive it a bit before I can tell. But everything I've read indicates that if it does have the problem, I'm pretty much stuck with it at this point. I don't mind having to top off a quart of oil every now and again, but I'm wondering how severe this consumption can get if not fixed.

Additionally, when I look at the extended warranty from Toyota, it only covered 2007 and up and nothing noted for the '06 -- did the '06 model year have the issue?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue had to do with the oil return holes on the pistons of the 07 and up models. They were revised for those model years. The 05-06 do not generally have this problem. I'm sure there are a few that do burn oil, but that's true for any engine. From what I can tell, major oil consumption was not a common issue for an 05 or 06 model years.