Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Keys got stolen, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default Keys got stolen, now what?

So last night I was at work, and two guys came in and held me at gunpoint, they asked for all the money and the register and also happened to grab my purse, which consisted of my keys, my debit card, and some makeup. (canceled my debit card) I'm very very nervous because they have the keys to my car now! I don't have a spare or anything so I had it towed to the dealership last night.... My question is, is the dealership able to replace all my locks and ignition? How much will it cost? Or should I just make a new key, and not change the locks?
Old 12-03-2014, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well. That blows.

The dealer will most likely install new locks that come with new keys. That's what I would suggest.

Also, you need to talk to whoever you're working for. They should cover the cost of this through their insurance. There's no way in hell I'd be paying for this out of my pocket.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry

That was a fine start to the "holiday season".
Be sure to get a police report to your insurance companies. Home or apartment, and auto.
Good luck hope it works out for you.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member

I am having my car rekeyed, it's going to cost 1200$ at the dealership for all my cylinders, my new keys and labor... Yayy. Don't get to buy my radio that I wanted now :/
My work is trying to get my reimbursement approved.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nicolewelker22
I am having my car rekeyed, it's going to cost 1200$ at the dealership for all my cylinders, my new keys and labor... Yayy. Don't get to buy my radio that I wanted now :/
My work is trying to get my reimbursement approved.
Try? Lol.

I fail to see how this doesn't fall under their fault. If they don't pay up, find a good lawyer, cause you've got a pretty good case.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM

i beleive you have more than 1 key when you purchase the car
Old 01-06-2015, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldScion
i beleive you have more than 1 key when you purchase the car
Really.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a bummer.. listen to basebllstar.

As for OldScion, the OP is concerned about the robbers coming back and stealing her car as they know where she works and the car cannot be too far. All they have to do is hit the panic button around the area..
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
Try? Lol.

I fail to see how this doesn't fall under their fault. If they don't pay up, find a good lawyer, cause you've got a pretty good case.
$1,200.00 should get you about an hour or two of a good lawyers time which isn't worth it. The keys were stolen from the robbery so you are entitled to the purchase of a new key from the dealer. Have the dealer give you an invoice for what a new key (or 2 if you both were stolen) and have the owner include that in his insurance claim.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TTCCC
$1,200.00 should get you about an hour or two of a good lawyers time which isn't worth it. The keys were stolen from the robbery so you are entitled to the purchase of a new key from the dealer. Have the dealer give you an invoice for what a new key (or 2 if you both were stolen) and have the owner include that in his insurance claim.
That would be a good idea, unless the owner decides to write her off. Then do you suggest a lawyer, or no?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure what your job entails or where you work however - your employer certainly should have a "Business Owners Policy" or BOP (I sell P&C Insurance). Theft on the premises should certainly cover this incident. The business owner is responsible for the deductible, which is *usually* $500. The claim should be called in to your the local/national agent that provided the insurance, and should consist of proving details and a copy of the police report.

This is something that happened while you were working for the business owner.

I would not encourage a lawyer yet - ask about making the claim on the business policy. If s/he brings up you paying the deductible, thats a HUGE RED FLAG. That is not your responsibility. If they do not have insurance, then they need to offer compensation OR then you would want to obtain representation.

If the business owner balks at making the claim, ask about the Business Owners Policy... express your concern and how this is the least they could do for you, and suggest that he re-evaluates his security protocols (ie: cameras, buzz doors, calling them while closing etc.)

A lawyer is usually the last tactic, and designed for if you would not like to work at the establishment anymore, as it will certainly cause tension, and while they would never admit it - could lead to a dismissal based on "poor performance" or other made up factors near impossible to disprove.

The main thing is that you are safe and OK. I usually keep my G23 with me - but at a minimum maybe you should get a good pepper spray and tazer system (please don't get a $20 stun gun) - you want something that dispatches metal barbs to go through clothing like jeans and jackets.

You can usually get a good local lawyer for $250-$350 per hour on something like this (unless you live in CA or NY) this is a minor incident, not criminal representation... - which will be you spending time explaining the story, then the paralegal writes a demand letter/notice of representation - that will force the business owner to respond and/or submit this to their insurance carrier.

Please keep this thread updated. I would like to know how you are making progress with the dealership and the business owner. Again, important thing is that you are safe!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you a lawyer? ^^

btw, I carry a G17. Good choice on the G23; I think it'll be my next purchase.